Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
dyno results for performance mods (Read 660 times)
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
dyno results for performance mods
05/31/09 at 18:31:04

Just wondering what a LS650 with Lancer's performance cam and carb setup would show on a dyno.   That would likely be the max performance capable with the thumper engine short of boring over, head job, etc.  

Also, any stock LS650 dyno results published anywhere?

Maybe we can get a general idea of what power characteristics differenct mods make with this bike.  The dyno will also help fine tune the carb to our bikes with each mod.  This has peaked my interest since the dyno exhaust analyzer showed my pilot jet was surprisingly rich.  

I'll post my dyno results when I finish it next week.  Gotta get the jets in the mail first.

« Last Edit: 06/01/09 at 02:39:06 by diamond jim »  
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Re: dyno results for performance mods
Reply #1 - 06/01/09 at 15:20:05

So no info out there or interest in dyno results for mods?

IP Logged
Texas-1-lunger

Iraq Vet

Reply #2 - 06/01/09 at 17:23:09

Your local dealership has a DYno on there bike nights I could give it a shot but mines not stock. And its $25. that doent bother me I was going to wait til me bobber is done and dyno it, with the bore and stroke done.

1st Cav 1st Team!
  IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/01/09 at 17:45:47

The harley dealership around the corner has a dyno. If its not too much I might go waste more money lol.

IP Logged
Moofed
Alliance Member

...and the engine
just gleams...

Bloomington, Indiana
Reply #4 - 06/01/09 at 19:58:34

I try not to be that guy, but this link was Google's first result for "dyno site:suzukisavage.com".  If you didn't know the site: trick then I forgive you.  Smiley

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1185590369

WWW Moofed MoofedOne   IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #5 - 06/01/09 at 20:19:05

Cool beans.  

From member Pgman:

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #6 - 06/01/09 at 20:41:14

This is reportedly a stock bike before (stock) and after (supertrapp).  Possibly the idle mixture screw mod ahd been done.  Apparently the carb is otherwise stock.

http://www.thumperpage.com/articles/ls650exh.html

Same graph but with addition of another LS650 with Jardine slip on.

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 06/02/09 at 04:17:06

Moofed wrote on 06/01/09 at 19:58:34:
I try not to be that guy, but this link was Google's first result for "dyno site:suzukisavage.com".  If you didn't know the site: trick then I forgive you.  Smiley

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1185590369

Well you are that guy. Especially since Jim was speaking of the cam mod and not stock  Grin Just teasing about you being that guy. I am curious to see what I am packing with the Vm carb, UFO and Dial a Jet.

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #8 - 06/02/09 at 05:05:14

I'd like to know too. For the graphs above, is there a way use the hp and speed to deduct torque so I could plot the torque curve?

Edit:  I found this: http://www.dragtimes.com/horsepower-torque-calculator-conversion.php?hp=30&rp...

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #9 - 06/03/09 at 05:21:03

Here's a good read on intake and exhaust performance.  

http://www.bigcitythunder.com/pages/understanding_exhaust.pdf

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #10 - 06/03/09 at 06:19:07

The horsepower - torque conversion is pretty easy, given RPM.

Horsepower = torque * (rpm/5252)

Torque = horsepower * (5252/rpm)

At 5252 RPM the horsepower and torque numbers are equal.

Unfortunately, the curves shown above are in MPH instead of RPM. That probably means they didn't make a tach connection. It is customary to run Dynojet curves in 4th gear, so you can attempt to look up standard gearing and make the conversion, if you want. The Dynojet actually measures rear wheel torque and computes horsepower. It is common for the drive train (belt, transmission) to absorb 10% - 15% of the power, so the engine power would be that much greater than rear wheel power.

I rather wonder why the "stock" curve cuts off sooner than the "Supertrapp" curve. Looks to me like the "stock" curve may have still been climbing. The very sharp drop at the top looks to me like a throttle chop, although it could have been a rev limiter. If it's the rev limiter, why is it different between the curves?

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #11 - 06/08/09 at 15:32:46

Charon wrote on 06/03/09 at 06:19:07:
I rather wonder why the "stock" curve cuts off sooner than the "Supertrapp" curve. Looks to me like the "stock" curve may have still been climbing. The very sharp drop at the top looks to me like a throttle chop, although it could have been a rev limiter. If it's the rev limiter, why is it different between the curves?

Don't think it was a rev limiter.  My guess is that the stock exhaust reached it's max flow, the operator felt the effects, saw that the bike reached it's limit and let off the throttle.  I've hit that limit before when experimenting with different baffles and to a lesser extent different intakes.  BTW, now I know for sure what 6K+ rpms on this motor sounds like.  I can say with certainty that I've never hit 6500 rpms with my motor.  Truly sounds like she's gonna blow up!

Here's mine:

Max HP: 33.19
Max Torque: 36.40 ft lbs
Temp: 87 F

Setup:
55 pilot (no bleed holes)
1 washer
155 main

A stock bike seems to dyno about 28-29HP. The LS650 with Sportster muffler and 1/2 spacer ran 29.8 HP.   The Supertrapp guy said peak 28 with stock muffler then his Supertrapp tested similar to my bike HP wise with 32-33 (no torque curve or numbers though) with air temperature of 22 degrees cooler than my run today.  Don't know if that makes a bit of difference though.

http://www.thumperpage.com/articles/ls650exh.html

« Last Edit: 06/09/09 at 05:04:28 by diamond jim »  
  IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #12 - 06/08/09 at 21:28:01

Cooler air is denser so it gets more oxygen into the engine.  This will result in more power.

Don't worry about the torque number.  Horsepower at the rpms actually running is all that matters.  Forget all the shadetree mechanic blather about torque just like we should forget about peak horsepower except for the few times we're actually running at peak.  

The dyno test is at full throttle, which is the range the main jet makes the big difference, so does the needle jet spacer make much difference?

It looks like the H-D muffler doesn't make much difference except in sound levels, or does it?...Does the stock muffler get congested at full throttle high rpms?  

What is the best combination for mid-range throttle where we're at when passing or other everyday situations?  I'll trade peak power for mid-range power any time.

IP Logged
SV og LS

Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Reply #13 - 06/09/09 at 00:57:32

diamond jim wrote on 06/08/09 at 15:32:46:
The Supertrapp tested similar to my bike HP wise with 32-33 (no torque curve or numbers though) with air temperature of 22 degrees cooler than my run today.  Don't know if that makes a bit of difference though.

It makes no difference in this case. DJ's CF (Correction Factor) takes into account humidity, air temperature and barometric pressure and adds a factor to actual measurements to give you 'corrected' data.

IP Logged
Wolf

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 06/09/09 at 02:38:09

Soooo, I be the Raask guinni pig (soon)...

(rebuilt engine with many of the bells & whistles)

Wolf  Cheesy

Lancer cam and soon nitrided cam chain
Lancer recommended Mikuni 38mm roundslide carb w/ UFO and dial-a-jet
    (need to order throttle cable - may rejet stock carb until this          arrives)
Verslavy cam chain tensioner
K&N 1250 cone
Bore tech bore, hone and carbon treatment with o/s Suzuki piston kit
Raask 60mm Dragpipe
and good ole Savage Eddies 5 speed  Wink

(just awaiting the cam chain, throttle cable and Bore tech procedure)

ahhh, nothing has been done to the Ls650 look; well, the airbox is gone!   Lips Sealed 

Gotta get it rebuilt and run first   Roll Eyes

... and then "bob it"  Cool

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 03:28:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › dyno results for performance mods

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.