Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: New petcock questions
Reply #15 - 07/03/09 at 08:46:08

Savage_Amusement wrote on 07/02/09 at 18:11:09:
They make plugs that are meant for vac and gas lines. They are SUPER tight yet don't stretch and crack that much at all. Then if your worried about air leak you can glue it on.

Auto-Zone carries all type of these caps.  Should be easy to get.   I used one from parts bin  (yes... one of those shelves with jars and jars of parts).  I siliconed it on just to be sure it was sealed.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #16 - 07/03/09 at 08:53:50

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 07/03/09 at 08:46:08:
They make plugs that are meant for vac and gas lines. They are SUPER tight yet don't stretch and crack that much at all. Then if your worried about air leak you can glue it on.

Auto-Zone carries all type of these caps.  Should be easy to get.   I used one from parts bin  (yes... one of those shelves with jars and jars of parts).  I siliconed it on just to be sure it was sealed.

Next,  some people get long life out of their petcocks, some do not.  I believe that there is a possiblity that the diaphram may go bad if allowed to dry out.    Rubber materials that can handle gasoline have a tendency to stiffen up when they dry.  I bought my bike as a rolling frame with engine in peices.  It was apart for 10 months and the tank was bone dry.  My petcock started to act up so I bought a used one from Verslagen, 24 cents for a nylon screw to convert.... a scrap of aluminum plate to replace the back and an hour of work.

Moral .... keep riding, don't stop...  Smiley

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #17 - 07/03/09 at 08:58:02

In Tucson,.. they're good for about 3 months....  
but it's a dry heat..... Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #18 - 07/07/09 at 21:39:44

Serowbot wrote on 07/01/09 at 22:30:49:
Wow!...  This is the most confused bunch of posts....
Digger has it....

This is the Raptor part no.  5LP-24500-01-00
2003 Yamaha Raptor 660 YFM660R
http://www.ronayers.com/browseparts.cfm?SearchString=5LP-24500-01-00&adv=5&kw...........Nipple?... What nipple?... The Raptor petcock is a direct bolt on replacement.... The only thing that you have to do is block off the vacuum port on the carb.....

seviersavage wrote on 07/02/09 at 03:22:59:
Serowbot,
Thats what I was thinkin, What nipple?
Seviersavage

Gentlemen,

Actually, what I think Joshua was referring to when he was talking about the "nipple" was the lever on the petcock.

When I ordered the Raptor petcock, they gave me a Grizzly petcock instead (geez, the 4-wheelers get all the cool names!).  The Grizzly petcock did not have a lever on it.  I returned it and got the correct Raptor petcock, with the lever.

Perhaps Joshua had the same problem I did.   Wink  

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #19 - 07/07/09 at 21:42:28

David M Smith wrote on 07/02/09 at 12:38:58:
 I just ordered the Raptor for myself. However I'm concerned with using a screw to block the vac tube on the carb. I really don't want to damage it just in case . .  But I also understand a rubber plug wouldn't be as tight and could deteriorate. Anyone have any other ideas?
 Although I suppose nothing goes INTO the vac port on the carb since the tube fits around the outside?

David,

Here is another way to cheaply plug the carb's vacuum port:

I just snipped off a section of the OEM vacuum line, squeezed some silicone sealant into it, folded it over and secured it with two small zip-ties.

IHTH!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 20:28:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New petcock questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.