Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Any idea how to clamp down my muffler. (Read 186 times)
odvelasc
Ex Member

Any idea how to clamp down my muffler.
05/30/09 at 13:40:35

So I removed my muffler and tried re-installing it because it was developing a small leak. The hitemp steel I used for shim was beginning to break off. I re-shimmed with aluminum can, however my clamp does not crush down the muffler enough. It started to slide off on a ride today. I was told to use permatex ultra coppter and this happened.

I have tried to tighten that clamp to the point where my hands hurt and still that muffler wont squeeze shut thus I resorted to the permatex instead and now I have a nasty mess.. Any suggestions? Time for a new muffler?

IP Logged
Duane

Creatively
Maladjusted

Terra Plane
Re: Any idea how to clamp down my muffler.
Reply #1 - 05/30/09 at 13:59:34

More shims less goop.

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. JFK

WWW duanedaringer   IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #2 - 05/30/09 at 14:02:47

you have a few options.... most positive seal is with an automotive type clamp(u-bolt and base, 2 nuts type), ugly as sin though, and it damages the nipple and pipe(crimps a groove in them)there are single bolt car clamps as well, and they are supposed to out-perform the u-bolt type, but ive never used 1, and cant speak from experience.... if you cut 6 or 8 shallow slots in the face of the muff nipple(1/2 inch deep or so) you can get a better "bite" with your clamp... if that's the stock clamp, a harley one is supposed to be a much better clamp... lastly, exhaust pipe sealer... it's a grey ceramic slurry that comes in a toothpaste tube, available at just about every auto parts store on the planet... it MUST be used VERY SPARINGLY!!! Diamond Jim calls it "amish pipe welder" because he didnt...lol (it has made his headpipe and longshot a permanent assembly)... just enough so that the sealing surface looks wetted by it... about 1/2 of the volume of toothpaste you would put on a toothbrush will seal a 2 1/2 inch auto muffler nipple... dont gob it on... just wet.... id say do the slits, switch to a harley clamp if yours is stock suzi, switch to a steel sheetmetal filler(aluminum expands more than steel when heated, thus, it loosens your joint every time it heats up), and if that combo alone doesnt give complete satisfaction, then try sealer...

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/30/09 at 14:34:40

marshall13 wrote on 05/30/09 at 14:02:47:
you have a few options.... most positive seal is with an automotive type clamp(u-bolt and base, 2 nuts type), ugly as sin though, and it damages the nipple and pipe(crimps a groove in them)there are single bolt car clamps as well, and they are supposed to out-perform the u-bolt type, but ive never used 1, and cant speak from experience.... if you cut 6 or 8 shallow slots in the face of the muff nipple(1/2 inch deep or so) you can get a better "bite" with your clamp... if that's the stock clamp, a harley one is supposed to be a much better clamp... lastly, exhaust pipe sealer... it's a grey ceramic slurry that comes in a toothpaste tube, available at just about every auto parts store on the planet... it MUST be used VERY SPARINGLY!!! Diamond Jim calls it "amish pipe welder" because he didnt...lol (it has made his headpipe and longshot a permanent assembly)... just enough so that the sealing surface looks wetted by it... about 1/2 of the volume of toothpaste you would put on a toothbrush will seal a 2 1/2 inch auto muffler nipple... dont gob it on... just wet.... id say do the slits, switch to a harley clamp if yours is stock suzi, switch to a steel sheetmetal filler(aluminum expands more than steel when heated, thus, it loosens your joint every time it heats up), and if that combo alone doesnt give complete satisfaction, then try sealer...

I have a shim,but the muffler wont fit over it. How thick should the sheet metal be? i cant cut sheet metal as I dont have a machine to do so. In terms of DJ's muffler seal? How do I do that? do i shim with the aluminum, and where do I apply the muffler sealant? the name of muffler sealant? What does it look like? I have looked for these things before and all I can find is the versachem paste wich is a tan color and is brittle thus breaks.

IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #4 - 05/30/09 at 15:04:35

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1242698227/45  
first post on that page has a pic of a local brand in its packaging.. ive seen it called everything from "muff-sealr" to "ceram-seal", really just about every name but philip... the tan stuff is resinous(like an epoxy, or 'glass resin), this stuff is grey and kind of smells like modelling clay mixed with solvent... ok, if you have a pre-existing shim that's just a little too thick for the muff nipple to get over it, take your muffler to an automotive exhaust shop and get them to use an expander on the nipple... ive stretched car pipes and nipples as much as 1/8 inch without damage (the exhaust shop guy also will be able to tell you what local brandname the ceramic sealer has, if he's an empathetic kind of guy, he might just give you an almost empty tube)... the sealer gets applied to the inside face of the muffler nipple, just the thinnest of coats for about the first inch of depth into the nipple... a similar very thin application to the inner face of your shim would be ok too... a little goes a very long way, and if you use too much, you will have to use a torch to seperate the parts glued together by it... a tube is enough to do hundreds of joints, ive never been able to empty a tube of it(it dried out long before then)....

edit: as to shim thickness, it really depends on the actual ID of your mufflers nipple... id figure something about .030 inch (.75 mm)... something a little thinner could be cut with tinsnips, and wrapped around the pipe as require to get enough OD (a thin coat of sealer on the inside face of the wrap would insure a good seal, even with a couple of layers of shim)....

IP Logged
Rustbucket

Reply #5 - 05/30/09 at 15:06:18

This sealant from Auto Zone worked well for my dyna muffler install. Harley dyna muffler clamps are bad ass clamps, 1 3/4 should do for your install. You would prob need to put sealant wherever you have metal to metal.

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05/30/09 at 19:34:23

Rustbucket wrote on 05/30/09 at 15:06:18:
This sealant from Auto Zone worked well for my dyna muffler install. Harley dyna muffler clamps are bad ass clamps, 1 3/4 should do for your install. You would prob need to put sealant wherever you have metal to metal.

http://www.itwconsumer.com/productfiles/product_62.jpg

Thats the stuff that cracked on me after a day lol. So, I am in the process of filing down the nipple in order to make it more pliable for clamping down and prying open. I am half way there. I wont be riding for a few days.  I will be repainting the muffler tuesday night and taking off the the whole exhaust to make mounting easier. Thanks for the info guys.

IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #7 - 05/31/09 at 18:47:55

I tried all of that to no avail.
Ended up cutting the exaust off 1", snugging the muffler up to that and then clamping it with a U clamp. This is covered by the heat shield.

Other option is take it to a car muffler place and have them weld it in place.

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 05/31/09 at 19:29:10

Well I have filed down some more slits into the muffler opening. I have widened it with pliers. I lost my reducer lol so its off to a shop on tuesday to get a new one.

IP Logged
AngloSaxon

I'd rather have one
big one than four
small ones.

Framingham MA
Reply #9 - 06/01/09 at 05:45:42

I've just installed a full length Screamin' Eagle on mine and had similar fitting issues. What I've done is shimmed between the header and muffler with copper flashing (copper expands more than steel when heated), and then clamped it with a 1 3/4 auto exhaust clamp. The seal is perfect. Good luck with yours.
Andrew.

As yet, a Bog Standard '87 with a big arse Harley muffler.
  IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 06/01/09 at 17:47:51

AngloSaxon wrote on 06/01/09 at 05:45:42:
I've just installed a full length Screamin' Eagle on mine and had similar fitting issues. What I've done is shimmed between the header and muffler with copper flashing (copper expands more than steel when heated), and then clamped it with a 1 3/4 auto exhaust clamp. The seal is perfect. Good luck with yours.
Andrew.

copper flashing? What is it and can I get it in the plumbing section of say home depot? thickness? Diameter of the piece you used?Lenthg of the piece?How do I cut it if I dont have something to cut scissors?

IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #11 - 06/01/09 at 18:03:37

Actually, I think flashing is the stuff they use around chimneys and stuff, over top the shingles or something, to keep the rain out? Undecided  I dunno, my carpentry is worse than my mechanicing. Tongue

I just got done swapping mufflers, and had to go with the heavy duty U-clamps like mentioned above, along with the exact same goop pictured above.  On the plus side, everything seems sealed tight so far.  Good luck on your project.

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 06/01/09 at 19:44:06

Soooo, do I apply the goop with a popsicle stick as in the picture? lol

IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #13 - 06/01/09 at 22:07:05

odvelasc wrote on 06/01/09 at 19:44:06:

I just used my finger, but it's not exactly the easiest stuff to get off. Roll Eyes

Looks like they have rubber gloves too.  S'pose it causes cancer or blindness or scurvy or something. Tongue

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 06/02/09 at 04:10:51

John_D FSO wrote on 06/01/09 at 22:07:05:
odvelasc wrote on 06/01/09 at 19:44:06:

I just used my finger, but it's not exactly the easiest stuff to get off. Roll Eyes

Looks like they have rubber gloves too.  S'pose it causes cancer or blindness or scurvy or something. Tongue

Well if scurvy is the issue then I will just eat some oranges and get some vitamin c before applying this stuff. As for cancer and blindness, I will use rubber gloves and not rub my eyes with it lol. Although I would like to make clear that scurvy, blindness and cancer are not laughing matter.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/14/24 at 15:16:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Any idea how to clamp down my muffler.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.