Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
...........Constructing Savage Bracing inside Shed (Read 245 times)
Gideon1986

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NE Ohio
...........Constructing Savage Bracing inside Shed
05/25/09 at 04:26:00

First of all Happy Memorial Day to all  Smiley. I am busy building an 8x12 foot shed. I am almost done with the roofing. My question to seasoned riders and those with good engineering minds, what would be a good bracing construction to store the Savage in the shed during winter. I am talking custom, wood (2x4's), nail... any ideas in the constructing this? Thanks in advance.... Cool

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: ...........Constructing Savage Bracing inside
Reply #1 - 05/25/09 at 04:35:58

Are you talking about making the structure strong or about things specific for the bike itself ?

IP Logged
Gideon1986

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NE Ohio
Reply #2 - 05/25/09 at 05:05:11

LANCER wrote on 05/25/09 at 04:35:58:
Are you talking about making the structure strong or about things specific for the bike itself ?

To make the bike stand straight  during winter storage while in the shed.... Smiley

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 05/25/09 at 05:18:00

Gideon1986 wrote on 05/25/09 at 05:05:11:
LANCER wrote on 05/25/09 at 04:35:58:

To make the bike stand straight  during winter storage while in the shed.... Smiley

Ahhh, a bike support rack.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #4 - 05/25/09 at 05:27:56

I can't see any advantage to having it upright instead of on its sidestand. But if I wanted it upright that badly, I might just wait until a motorcycle jack went on sale for under a hundred bucks. Then I'd put the bike on the jack, secure it with tiedowns, raise it off its wheels, and use the little wheels on the jack to push it out of the way. Make sure to engage the safety on the jack, because the hydraulics will probably leak down.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Gideon1986

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NE Ohio
Reply #5 - 05/25/09 at 06:18:34

Charon wrote on 05/25/09 at 05:27:56:
I can't see any advantage to having it upright instead of on its sidestand. But if I wanted it upright that badly, I might just wait until a motorcycle jack went on sale for under a hundred bucks. Then I'd put the bike on the jack, secure it with tiedowns, raise it off its wheels, and use the little wheels on the jack to push it out of the way. Make sure to engage the safety on the jack, because the hydraulics will probably leak down.

Thanks for the idea. In the shed, with the Savage, would be a snow blower, lawn mower, etc., the main issue is to stabilize the Savage so that it would not accidentally be toppled down (I know that it would be tight there with the other stuff). I am in the construction stage that I could probably custom-make one. Wink

IP Logged
seviersavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Smoky Mountains Tennessee
Reply #6 - 05/25/09 at 06:23:52

In my barn I have a length of square tubing lag screwed to the joists above. I use ratcheting straps to lift the bike slightly, on handlebars and luggage rack when I want to work on it. I can actually hang it from these straps. Be an easy thing to just make sure it's straight and won't fall that way.
Seviersavage

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #7 - 05/25/09 at 06:54:38

I would make the ridge out of wood strong enough to hang the bike off of in case you want to work on it. To hold the bike upright for winter storage just get one of the front wheel chocks made out of pipe, the u shaped things you can get from JC Whitney or any bike store and mount it to the floor of the shed. If you want it removable bolt it to a 2x4 piece of 3/4 inch plywood, the weight of the bike on the plywood will keep it from moving.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 05/25/09 at 07:53:15

Getting the tires up off the ground would certainly be a good idea especially if you're not going thru tires every season.

For just lifting the front or just upright, the lever lift out 2x6's would do.

WWW   IP Logged
Gideon1986

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NE Ohio
Reply #9 - 05/25/09 at 18:45:34

pix would help, if you have any...

IP Logged
Balderdash

Minnesota
Reply #10 - 05/26/09 at 07:26:36

If you are just looking for the easiest way to make the bike stand straight up, and the inside of the shed is wood with 2x4 beams, you can block a 2x4 onto the side of the beam you want the front tire to be up to, then run two beams down at an angle to the floor.  The front tire will run up between the two down beams and hold your bike up.

IP Logged
Gideon1986

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NE Ohio
Reply #11 - 05/26/09 at 17:14:27

Balderdash wrote on 05/26/09 at 07:26:36:
If you are just looking for the easiest way to make the bike stand straight up, and the inside of the shed is wood with 2x4 beams, you can block a 2x4 onto the side of the beam you want the front tire to be up to, then run two beams down at an angle to the floor.  The front tire will run up between the two down beams and hold your bike up.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/Ph33r/untitled.jpg

can u explain the highlighted part a little more... the front view pix was not too clear too... thanks for the input... Smiley

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #12 - 05/26/09 at 20:33:33

Another pretty simple technique would be to just park the bike as close to the wall as possible, leaning (on its stand) toward the wall. Then it can only fall a little further, into the wall. With a couple of pieces of 2x4 for wheel chocks fore and aft of the rear wheel, it can't roll. Should be pretty secure that way.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Gideon1986

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NE Ohio
Reply #13 - 05/27/09 at 04:18:49

bump...

IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #14 - 05/27/09 at 11:35:24

Gideon1986 wrote on 05/26/09 at 17:14:27:
Balderdash wrote on 05/26/09 at 07:26:36:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/Ph33r/untitled.jpg

can u explain the highlighted part a little more... the front view pix was not too clear too... thanks for the input... Smiley

in the side view pic, the lighter grey vertical piece is your existing wall stud, the darker daigonal piece is the angled brace...one would screw or nail the diagonasl to the existing wall stud(with any spacer required for the tire to fit between the 2 diagonals), and then nail or screw the other end to the floor... the front view shows(from left to right) dark grey diagonal piece, light grey existing wall stud, light grey spacer for width, and finally, the other dark grey diagonal... the top of the diagonals must be higher than the front axle.... only mod id add to this is 2 eye bolts on the upper face of the diagonals to attach ratchet tiedowns to....

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 19:33:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › ...........Constructing Savage Bracing inside Shed

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.