New Rider (Read 153 times)
cedross
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Rider
05/25/09 at 06:21:23

Hi guys,
I am considering buying a 2008 S40. I am 6'1 and am wondering if I would not feel cramped on this bike? Can anyone advise me?

cedross

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Re: New Rider
Reply #1 - 05/25/09 at 06:27:23

In stock form, riders at and over 6ft will usually find it a little cramped.  I am 6ft tall.  Mods to the handlebar/riser setup, seat mods and the addition of forward controls has made the bike roomy for me and fits me as well or better than just about any larger bike I've had.  The estimated prices of mods are: handlebar/riser change~$60-$75, seat mods~$5-$15 and forward controls about $100.  So tops about $200 to make the bike fit me perfect.  

Funny thing is that I've done 2 out of three, and often all three mods, to just about every bike I've owned.  

IP Logged
Rustbucket

Reply #2 - 05/25/09 at 08:08:23

I would think you taller guys would feel cramped on this bike, I find myself trying to scoot back on the seat all the time but that darn hump on the seat is in the way. I'm only 5'8.
Go sit on one for a bit and see if it feels alright to you.. Have a buddy hold the bike up for you and get your feet on the pegs. Then ask yourself if you could tolerate that for hours at a time.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 05/25/09 at 09:05:00

6' myself and like the stock config.
Had the drag bars for awhile and liked them except not being able to see anything besides my shoulders in the mirrors.

I'm gonna try mini apes and the stock '02 seat soon.

WWW   IP Logged
Seth C.

Tucson, AZ
Reply #4 - 05/26/09 at 08:10:21

2 words. Forward controls. Smiley

2001 Suzuki Savage LS650
WWW   IP Logged
Joshua
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 05/26/09 at 08:29:56

I'm 5'11'' and have only owned this bike for about a week now and I find myself trying to scoot back on the seat.  But I haven't done any mods so take that into consideration too.
Good luck.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #6 - 05/26/09 at 08:40:02

I am 5' 8" and find the S40 fits me. It is said riders over that will be cramped. My brother has a Kawasaki Mean Streak, and I find that bike just a little too big for me (peg reach, bar reach). I suggest you go sit on one of those and see if it fits. Personally, I don't think I would buy any bike I had to modify to make comfortable, if I had a choice. I'd rather get one that works in the first place. Kind of like buying uncomfortable shoes and hoping they will "break in."

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Duane

Creatively
Maladjusted

Terra Plane
Reply #7 - 05/26/09 at 08:48:17

I would say anyone over 5ft9 (my height) would not be comfortable withouth some mods. My father in law in 6ft+ and he rode mine down the street. He looked like a elephant on a ants back.

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. JFK

WWW duanedaringer   IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 05/28/09 at 00:29:50

I'm 6'2" and was never UNcomfortable with the stock setup however Ed Ls 4" forward controls make me much MORE comfortable. I also intend (eventually) to go for a Diamond Jim seat mod.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 10:45:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New Rider

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.