Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
painting the exhaust system (Read 301 times)
odvelasc
Ex Member

painting the exhaust system
05/21/09 at 20:26:16

Still havent figured out what I want to do with my exhaust system. I know there is a leak at the port connecting to the cylinder as i see a bit  
smoke in front of the headlight when stopped at night. My muff has turned blue from running leaning. I am thinking a new muffler or perhaps painting the exhaust tomorrow just for shits and giggles. Will bbq paint work and will it hold? Any one have pics? How do I seal the the connection of exhaust to the cylinder?

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Re: painting the exhaust system
Reply #1 - 05/21/09 at 21:02:46

I painted my exhaust pipe, from header back, with high temp gloss black.  I did it a few months ago and it has held up fantastic.  

I used this paint:

And used this method:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1239992423

I think the method is every bit as important as the paint itself.  The paint would soften after the first two to three rides then hardened up for good.

IP Logged
Savage Eddie

Custom Bob's ROCK!

40 miles west of Chicago
Reply #2 - 05/21/09 at 21:31:20

I used high temp flat black on mine and it worked great, i also used header wrap to hide the blue pipe from the previous owner.

(sorry about the size, photobucket is being difficult)

Blinded by the light? thats the HID light i just installed.....very nice...

the nice part about flat paint is if you do get a scratch you can touch it up and never see the difference.

as far as sealing the pipe, use muffler putty (available at any part store) its a paste and hardens when it gets hot

IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #3 - 05/22/09 at 06:56:39

Some powdercoating shops have a high temperature coating available.  You might try telephoning local shops and ask.

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/22/09 at 09:50:30

Savage Eddie wrote on 05/21/09 at 21:31:20:
I used high temp flat black on mine and it worked great, i also used header wrap to hide the blue pipe from the previous owner.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u248/socomiou1/PICT0301.jpg

the nice part about flat paint is if you do get a scratch you can touch it up and never see the difference.

as far as sealing the pipe, use muffler putty (available at any part store) its a paste and hardens when it gets hot

Looks good. I may go flat black but I like the glossy look on Jim's. The gloss may go better with my black tank with the chrome trim. In term of muffler putty, I used versachem hi-temp steel for connecting my muffler. It how broken after one season from all the bumps and pot holes in ottawa roads. Is this putty flexible?

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/22/09 at 09:56:10

Savage Eddie wrote on 05/21/09 at 21:31:20:

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u248/socomiou1/PICT0301.jpg

How did you prep the muffler for paint? Did you scuff it with medium grit paper, prime and then paint? I am thinking of doing the whole exhaust. Would this look good?

IP Logged
AngloSaxon

I'd rather have one
big one than four
small ones.

Framingham MA
Reply #6 - 05/22/09 at 10:42:21

If you're going to paint the whole pipe, header as well, you should use a paint designed for that purpose. Most auto parts stores offer a high temp ceramic based header paint, about $5 a can, although it only comes in flat black. If you have leak at the exhaust port you should try and get hold of a copper washer of some kind. You could make your own out of copper flashing available at Home Depot and such. The reason for copper is that it expands when heated to maintain a good seal.

As yet, a Bog Standard '87 with a big arse Harley muffler.
  IP Logged
Savage Eddie

Custom Bob's ROCK!

40 miles west of Chicago
Reply #7 - 05/23/09 at 08:59:49

i did scuff the pipe before i painted, except the rear where i left a small area for a Maltese cross that i scratched into the paint with a plastic scraper.
i didn't use primer but you could, the paint seems to adhere pretty well without...

the putty is in a tube, like toothpaste but a copper ring would be a better idea, less messy

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #8 - 05/23/09 at 09:30:56

I suppose it would be blasphemous to suggest going to your friendly local dealership and buying a new exhaust gasket. Most manuals say the gasket should be replaced with a new one every time the pipe is removed.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 05/23/09 at 10:43:32

Charon wrote on 05/23/09 at 09:30:56:
I suppose it would be blasphemous to suggest going to your friendly local dealership and buying a new exhaust gasket. Most manuals say the gasket should be replaced with a new one every time the pipe is removed.

Nope, not blasphemous. I think that is a good idea. I may do that.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #10 - 05/23/09 at 11:08:25

There is a lot of crush that occurs on that gasket when you tighten up on the exhaust bolts. I've been lucky to get only two or three pipe removals on a gasket before it starts to leak. When you get a new one match it up to the old one and see how much it has been compressed.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
ineclipse

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 05/26/09 at 14:37:50

all i can say is dont use high temp engine enamal. Some of you might have advised me against it in the first place, im sure. But despite the supposed 600degree temperature tolerance, this stuff was burning off by the end of the block!

IP Logged
Savage Eddie

Custom Bob's ROCK!

40 miles west of Chicago
Reply #12 - 05/26/09 at 21:40:08

i think its supposed to burn a little at first. it cures when it gets hot. i dont think that was as bad as the smell from the header wrap. i stopped after 2 miles and i thought my bike was on fire!

IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #13 - 05/27/09 at 10:09:14

Savage Eddie wrote on 05/26/09 at 21:40:08:
i think its supposed to burn a little at first. it cures when it gets hot. i dont think that was as bad as the smell from the header wrap. i stopped after 2 miles and i thought my bike was on fire!

I love the smell of header wrap in the morning! It's smells like victory!
Cheesy

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
PipJones

Fort Worth, Tx
Reply #14 - 05/29/09 at 06:51:59

Would painting the exhaust from the Header back cause any problems? I know you guys have painted the tail ends, but could you paint directly from the exhaust port from the engine?

Gargle, sputter, burp and die!!! The ways of my LS650!!!!!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 01:29:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › painting the exhaust system

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.