Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Re: Oil loss
Reply #15 - 05/26/09 at 18:54:45

Hi there!
I have THE SAME problem  Cheesy

1997, 9k miles, 3rd owner, surely bike was abused/overheated in the past.

- 1st of all, my oil gets dirty (jet black) quite fast after an oil change
- Mine consumes about 1 quart every 300 miles or so
- it consumes more than that at constant highway speeds
- My mild, black puff of smoke manifests itself WHILE DECELERATING
- it too smokes a bit when breaking w/ engine.
- I also have not fixed the plug cap leak. Leaks a bit, just a bit.

All of this quite common and many savages.

Pretty sure it's our valve seals (you'll need 4 of them @ about
$2 USD/ea.) I'll change mine soon and document the process,
will post pics soon Wink     ...ADVICE ANYONE?

Keep in touch w/ur findings.
Richard P.

« Last Edit: 05/26/09 at 20:11:38 by Stimpy - FSO »  

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 05/26/09 at 21:33:45

have not done any real engine work unless you count fixing the plug leak. Im looking at the fiche on bikebandit and am having trouble locating what part(s) i need exactly. #'s 2 and 3 are valve guides, #4 says "valve guide rin". Is that what im looking for, #4? Also, considering I havent had a look inside yet to see exactly what the problem is would you recommend I replace the valve guides as well just in case? In such a case I should order 2 #2s and 2 #3s correct?

IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #17 - 05/26/09 at 21:40:06

Stimpy - FSO wrote on 05/26/09 at 18:54:45:
Hi there!
I have THE SAME problem  Cheesy

1997, 9k miles, 3rd owner, surely bike was abused/overheated in the past.

- 1st of all, my oil gets dirty (jet black) quite fast after an oil change
- Mine consumes about 1 quart every 300 miles or so
- it consumes more than that at constant highway speeds
- My mild, black puff of smoke manifests itself WHILE DECELERATING
- it too smokes a bit when breaking w/ engine.
- I also have not fixed the plug cap leak. Leaks a bit, just a bit.

All of this quite common and many savages.

Pretty sure it's our valve seals (you'll need 4 of them @ about
$2 USD/ea.) I'll change mine soon and document the process,
will post pics soon Wink     ...ADVICE ANYONE?

Keep in touch w/ur findings.
Richard P.

sorry stimpy, your's sounds like  rings... lots of blow-by... though it could be totally lunched exhaust guides and seals dirtying your oil, and intakes with the same problem eating it.... pull the exhaust valve lash adjusting cap, and see if it's nasty sooty carbony on the inside... if it looks like your exhausts interior, the exhaust seals and guides are way far gone... if relatively "clean"(just normal interior abused motor funk), then it be da rings, boss....lol

IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #18 - 05/26/09 at 21:50:10

BurnPgh wrote on 05/26/09 at 21:33:45:
have not done any real engine work unless you count fixing the plug leak. Im looking at the fiche on bikebandit and am having trouble locating what part(s) i need exactly. #'s 2 and 3 are valve guides, #4 says "valve guide rin". Is that what im looking for, #4? Also, considering I havent had a look inside yet to see exactly what the problem is would you recommend I replace the valve guides as well just in case? In such a case I should order 2 #2s and 2 #3s correct?  

id say hold off on ordering anything until you tear it down, and check the parts... could be the guides are perfect, and you need a valve(worn stem), maybe just seals, maybe everything... it may be more economically feasible to just get a head and cover from ebay...changing guides in one of these doesnt look particularly easy, or quick.... drifting a bronze guide out of an iron chevy head is tons easier than aluminum... if you plan on DIYing it, id be inclined to have the guides pulled and installed at an auto machine shop... expensive compared to you and a punch... if you're going to have a mechanic do it, then the labor cost really balloons... best to see what kind and how bad the fleas on the dog are, before you decide whether to use spray or dip.... Wink

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 05/26/09 at 22:06:20

Sound advice, but not quite my style. Id be without a bike for at least a week and as summer is right around the corner i dont think i can psychologically handle that. Hypothetically, I have to replace all of it, am i correct in the part numbers and quantities? What else may I need to get? Id rather just spend the money, get it all, and have some part i didnt need laying around for a later time. I do plan on doing it myself, but not until right before intend to hit the road. Say early-mid August. As long as Im having at it I intend also to replace the cam chain with one of the nitrided ones the old heads ordered here a while back (assuming there are any left) and the cam chain guides as well. Im just wanting to take care of it all in one swoop if possible so i dont have to keep taking the bike apart (i got one of the ones where you gotta remove the engine to do head work.) and so I can have it apart (once preferably) for as short a time as possible.

IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Reply #20 - 05/26/09 at 22:12:25

Yup, rings too  Roll Eyes , I already bought everything for the job,
but I'm still waiting for the valve seals and guides in the mail.

You are looking for a small rubber tube and its guide that goes
around the valves, look here (parts 35 & 36 in "camshaft - valve"):
http://www.bikebandit.com/suzuki-motorcycle-ls650pv-savage-1997/o/m6329

Thanks marshall, I've learned to live with the problem for
over 3 years but it's time to open that engine and replace
a couple of parts; I'll post a photo thread as soon as I pop
that sucker open.

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
ineclipse

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 05/26/09 at 22:21:48

IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #22 - 05/26/09 at 22:30:26

BurnPgh wrote on 05/26/09 at 22:06:20:
Sound advice, but not quite my style. Id be without a bike for at least a week and as summer is right around the corner i dont think i can psychologically handle that. Hypothetically, I have to replace all of it, am i correct in the part numbers and quantities? What else may I need to get? Id rather just spend the money, get it all, and have some part i didnt need laying around for a later time. I do plan on doing it myself, but not until right before intend to hit the road. Say early-mid August. As long as Im having at it I intend also to replace the cam chain with one of the nitrided ones the old heads ordered here a while back (assuming there are any left) and the cam chain guides as well. Im just wanting to take care of it all in one swoop if possible so i dont have to keep taking the bike apart (i got one of the ones where you gotta remove the engine to do head work.) and so I can have it apart (once preferably) for as short a time as possible.

yup, numbers 2 and 3 of the head fiche is the guides... you'll need 2 each of those, and 4 of number 4 (those are guide seals)... and 4 of number 37 on the camshaft-valves fiche(those are the valve seals).. i used the 95 fiche, as i dont know your year...

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 05/26/09 at 23:02:50

lucky geuss. She's a '95.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #24 - 05/26/09 at 23:03:21

The gasket kit made by athena (italian) has these seals in it.

You can find it on fleabay.

WWW   IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #25 - 05/26/09 at 23:06:43

BurnPgh wrote on 05/26/09 at 23:02:50:
lucky geuss. She's a '95.

now if only i could do that with lotto....

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #26 - 06/29/09 at 21:18:04

bill67 wrote on 05/26/09 at 12:20:11:
  This is one of the only jap bikes I've had that uses a little oil between changes.

My bike (see signature) just hit 10,100 miles.  I just drained oil that had been in there for 2700 miles.

I could not see that it had burned any oil during that time.

I think these engines will push a little oil if you fill them to the top of the sight glass....I just fill mine to the middle of the sight glass.

Works for me!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Reply #27 - 06/29/09 at 21:24:39

Just a thought.  This is a large, air-cooled single.  It will use oil.  Some of it goes out the exhaust, but a fair amount goes out the breather as a result of the turbulence that the engine produces in the oil. (literally vaporizes it. ( Have you checked the breather drain tube?  I generally find a tablespoon or so there at oil changes.)  If you have not noticed a decline in your gas mileage, and the bike seems to run ok, just relax.  Oil is relatively cheap.  When it gets down, put some in.  No problem.  It is not worth the worry.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 20:33:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil loss

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.