Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tire Pressure??? (Read 273 times)
PTRider

Tire Pressure???
05/06/09 at 09:03:05

Does anyone have a tire pressure they like more than the recommended pressures?

Suzuki recommends 29 psi in the front and 33 in the rear, cold before riding, for a solo rider, little or light cargo.

For has anyone found tire pressures that they feel works better?

IP Logged
DavetheDog
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Richmond, VA
Re: Tire Pressure???
Reply #1 - 05/06/09 at 10:05:03

I'm pretty sure you should stick to the "recommended" tire pressure as it is factory recommended. Should provide you with best reliability, performance, safety, and longevity. However, I've always wondered if these numbers change from tire to tire?

IP Logged
Rustbucket

Reply #2 - 05/06/09 at 10:55:12

I'm running 38 psi. The sticker says one PSI and the tires say differently. I'd like to know whats the safest and best psi myself.

IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #3 - 05/06/09 at 12:18:12

the answer is: experiment... look at the recommended pressures they list on that label on the passenger door of a car...just like suzi's recommended pressures, they are what will give you the most comfortable, cushy ride, with all the oem suspension components(and tires) brand new, under average conditions... now look at the sidewall of that car's tire... the max pressure is higher by like 20%.... what works for me in floridas blazing sun at sea-level, is going to be a far cry from what works for a cat in idaho.... find what feels right for you in the various conditions you ride in, then write it down... change to a different brand/model of tires? time to "dial in" your pressures again....

IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #4 - 05/06/09 at 14:25:03

Rustbucket wrote on 05/06/09 at 10:55:12:
I'm running 38 psi. The sticker says one PSI and the tires say differently. I'd like to know whats the safest and best psi myself.

The pressure on the sticker on the bike is Suzuki's recommendation for the listed load, 29F /33R for a solo rider and 29F/36R for a heavy load on the bike.

The pressure on the tire is the pressure the tire maker requires to carry the maximum possible load that tire is rated to handle.  It is not the recommended inflation pressure for the actual load if it is less than the max load.  For our tire, that is 41 psi required in the rear to carry 675 pounds just on the rear, obviously impossible (or certainly not recommended).

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #5 - 05/06/09 at 14:38:59

I've have ran bikes with a couple pound lower then what Suzuki calls for with no problems,It was to get a softer ride.I weight 165

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
mark_k

Greenfield, IN
Reply #6 - 05/26/09 at 17:05:38

Asked the bike store owner last fall when I had to change out my rear tire. Went to a Dunlop. His statement was that Suzuki's pressure was for the factory stock tire. When you change out your tires you no longer have a stock situation. He recommended the following:

Solo: Run 3 lbs below the max pressure stamped on the side of the tire.
2 Up: Run 1 lb below the max pressure stamped on the side of the tire.

Using this advice seems to give me a very good ride. Noticing no funny wear on the tires. For an even softer ride, but very adaptable to the weight of 2 up, I changed the stock shocks to Progressive 412's. I set them soft for solo and tighter for 2 UP. Also added 1/2" in length to stock shocks for additional clearance.

Livin' Life Abundantly
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #7 - 05/26/09 at 17:48:42

The Irc tires on the S40 says 41 pounds max.pressure Suzuki says 29 and 33 thats a longs ways from max. pressure,I believe you are running way to much pressure.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #8 - 06/29/09 at 21:05:56

PTRider wrote on 05/06/09 at 09:03:05:
Does anyone have a tire pressure they like more than the recommended pressures?

Suzuki recommends 29 psi in the front and 33 in the rear, cold before riding, for a solo rider, little or light cargo.

For has anyone found tire pressures that they feel works better?

PT,

On my other bikes, whenever I switch from OEM tires to another brand, I contact the tire manufacturer to see what they recommend for that tire on that bike.

In this case, I think these data override the bike manufacturer's tire pressure recommendations.

As far as my Savage goes, I'm still on the original rubber and have not encountered this situation.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:23:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tire Pressure???

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.