Send Topic Print
Oil loss (Read 305 times)
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oil loss
05/21/09 at 00:19:47

Thought it was the plug leak but...My next guess is piston rings. What else may be causing me to lose oil?

IP Logged
SV og LS

Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Re: Oil loss
Reply #1 - 05/21/09 at 01:12:17

I would say valve seals more likely than rings. How much does it sip oil?

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #2 - 05/21/09 at 04:48:53

yep, how much oil does it use, is the missing oil just gone or all over the engine or ground, how many miles, whats your runs like - say extended freeway speeds or just thump'n around town?

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/21/09 at 10:29:21

Little over 17k mi now. The oil seems to just vanish. None on the ground and aside from some slight seeping along either side of the crankcase its not on the engine anywhere. The seeping im certain isnt the issue. I ride 50/50 highway/around town. I top it off of the low level line every 700mi or so. But I've got a chain conversion so probably closer to 800 mi. So...half a mL per mile or so. Let my buddy take a ride the other day and he's a little heavy handed. Hard take off and a saw a puff of gray smoke for a sec. Other than that one puff and oil vanishing ive got no clues.

IP Logged
SV og LS

Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Reply #4 - 05/21/09 at 11:00:27

I wouldn't be too concerned. It's a low mileage bike so there shouldn't be any mentionable engine wear and 400 ml per 800 miles is not unheard of. The worst our bike did was 900ml during a long day and it didn't noticeably smoke.

IP Logged
dr1445

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 05/21/09 at 12:17:41

valve guide or valve seals would lead to a nice dense cloud of blue smoke when you start the bike. a broken piston ring can lead to blow by to the case, pushing oil out the breather. check your airbox plug and see if there is any excess oil in there.

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 05/21/09 at 14:18:23

no excess oil in the airbox.

IP Logged
dr1445

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 05/21/09 at 17:56:40

seems to be the nature of the beast, maybe try some synthetic oil on the next oil change.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 05/21/09 at 21:04:21

I have a small leak at the clutch actuator arm where it passes thru the clutch cover, so I lose a tad there. But, the thing doesnt use oil much till I get to more than 1,500 miles on the oil. The usage speeds up the more miles I get on the oil. Then I change it & it slows waay on down again. I dont look at the odometer to decide when to change oil. When the thing starts using it fast enough to make me uncomfortable, I dump it out & start over.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 05/26/09 at 10:45:31

Are there any symptoms that would indicated specifically whether the oil loss is piston rings vs valve guides/seals ?

IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #10 - 05/26/09 at 11:38:02

BurnPgh wrote on 05/26/09 at 10:45:31:
Are there any symptoms that would indicated specifically whether the oil loss is piston rings vs valve guides/seals ?

you already saw the diagnostic clue... your pal's cloud on the hard take-off... intake valve seals... a pint per 1000 miles is far from excessive, and the fix would require pulling the head.... id keep a close eye on consumption, and if it gets worse, then do the guides and seals (as required).... the curse of engines designed for unleaded gas

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #11 - 05/26/09 at 12:20:11

This is one of the only jap bikes I've had that uses a little oil between changes.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 05/26/09 at 12:33:13

eh...its a little more than a little oil loss i think. 1/2ml a mile seems a bit much to me and i intend to be traveling once fall starts setting in. 4-600mi in a day is what i project so Id rather not run to the low level line every other day. Oil costs would add up mighty quick in that case.

IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #13 - 05/26/09 at 13:30:55

BurnPgh wrote on 05/26/09 at 12:33:13:
eh...its a little more than a little oil loss i think. 1/2ml a mile seems a bit much to me and i intend to be traveling once fall starts setting in. 4-600mi in a day is what i project so Id rather not run to the low level line every other day. Oil costs would add up mighty quick in that case.

then it's time for a valve job... have you decarbonized the piston and combustion chamber lately? if you scrape the ring of carbon at the top of the cylinder bore, and/or the one that forms at the side of the pistion where it meets the crown, you can start consuming oil... the problem sounds like valve seals, and your observation when your pal rode it confirms it, but i like to eliminate all other options before ordering parts... if you noticed it start soon after a decarbon job, you might have scraped the "good carbon" along with the bad...

IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #14 - 05/26/09 at 13:36:21

bill67 wrote on 05/26/09 at 12:20:11:
  This is one of the only jap bikes I've had that uses a little oil between changes.

low revs+long stroke=lots more time with the valves seeing vacuum, so more opportunity to creep past the seal... the breather for the crankcase is far from ideal, also... also only 3 rings on a long, wide piston...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 20:31:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil loss

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.