Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Neutral Light On Kickstand Switch Not Working (Read 74 times)
ATLjan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Neutral Light On Kickstand Switch Not Working
05/19/09 at 18:16:27

Hello All.  Just finished installing a new Big Crank Battery.  The only things of note are these...  I dropped one of the screws that normally holds the breather tube and is part of the locking mechanism for the toolkit cover... and the positive battery cable now has a rather sharp bend.  The positive terminal isn't an exact fit but seemed snug.

I started up a couple of times before putting the side covers and the seat back on all good.  I started up again after I put everything back on all good.  I went for a test ride and a few blocks from home the neutral light came on.  Ran fine for about a 10 minute ride.  Came home and put the kickstand down while still running... nothing, still ran.

What should I do?  Could it be the english I put on the positive cable?

Thanks for all you do.

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Re: Neutral Light On Kickstand Switch Not Working
Reply #1 - 05/19/09 at 18:24:50

I'm not sure what you should do.  What I would do is just keep riding it unless you start to notice sparks and smoke obstructing your view of the road.

That switch is under the clutch cover, but I'm not sure how it works.  Could be that you've pinched and shorted a wire, which is fooling the light into thinking the switch is closed.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
PipJones

Fort Worth, Tx
Reply #2 - 05/19/09 at 19:41:11

the neutral light is something i had an issue with. however mine wasn't an issue of "the light came on while i was in gear" but rather "i'm in neutral and have no light on". whenever i'd put the kickstand down, the bike would die because of the neutral killswitch.

I pulled the clutch case and found the neutral wire had come unsoldered. I resoldered the neutral light wire to the switch and was golden.

i think it works like this.......

the neutral light wire that runs into the crank case is soldered to a cup that has a pin on the underside, when the bike is in neutral the pin is touching the wire grounding it... i.e. light comes on and vehicle is in neutral.

i believe that is how it works...

so maybe you have a short to ground in you wire... that'd be my guess.

good luck figuring it out!!!

Pip jones

Gargle, sputter, burp and die!!! The ways of my LS650!!!!!
  IP Logged
ATLjan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/20/09 at 19:29:09

turns out a portion of the wiring harness was pinched under the bracket that holds the front of the seat and the gas tank. loosened it and dislodged the wiring ... problem solved. thanks for the suggestions.

ride carefully and stay safe.

IP Logged
CPLgrr-USMC

First Bike Love

Camp Pendleton, CA
Reply #4 - 05/20/09 at 19:41:14

Don't you hate that? Trying to find so many different reasons why something isn't working and it ends up being right under your nose.. or A$$. It's also the greatest relief when the fix costs nothing and was THAT easy to fix

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 08:15:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Neutral Light On Kickstand Switch Not Working

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.