Float Adjustment (Read 74 times)
DavetheDog
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Richmond, VA
Float Adjustment
05/19/09 at 09:26:01

A few weeks ago, with the help of everyones knowledge on the boards here, I tuned my carb. to a point where I was very happy with the results. This is in comparison to how it was tuned out of the factory.

Lately I've been feeling it is running rich. During my cleaning and rebuilding of the carb I adjusted the float bowl but realized afterwards that I had done it wrong. Instead of bending the tab in order to make the adjustment to I adjusted it at the point where the floats meet the flat piece of metal they are mounted too. I richened it up a bit and the measurements I came up with were to spec but I have a feeling that the actual measurement is incorrect since I bent it at the wrong point. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I'm not a pro but I would think that small increments in the measurement would make big changes in how the carb performs? Should the whole piece be flat like in the upper illustration?

A side profile photo of a float would be great for comparison, if anyone has one. Thanks!

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Re: Float Adjustment
Reply #1 - 05/19/09 at 19:27:58

bump.

I don't have the answer, but if this slides to the next page, the guy who does might never see it.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 05/19/09 at 20:11:48

Interesting...if you were trying to raise the float then you may have gone in the correct direction.  However, with the bend in that location it makes it difficult to make a correct measure in the proper place.  Everything is thrown off now.  
I would suggest you attempt to return the floats to their original configuration and then do the measurement the correct way.
Don't break them; handle with care.

IP Logged
SV og LS

Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Reply #3 - 05/20/09 at 07:52:21

I've done the same mistake with my first 'real' bike. I think most helpful would be if someone with a correct float level would install some clear tubing into bowl drain nipple pointing upwards and posted a photo where the correct fuel level actually is in relation to carb with fuel tap in prime. I think the fuel level should be slightly under bowl gasket.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/14/24 at 21:30:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Float Adjustment

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.