Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
"old school'' 3/4 helmet? (Read 318 times)
JeremySW
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

"old school'' 3/4 helmet?
05/18/09 at 15:41:12

Hey guys, I'm grabbing a helmet to take the motorcycle safety course with while I'm surfing for a good used Savage find.

I ordered a 3/4 helmet because I kind of dig the old school cafe-racer style. However I just received it and I look like Toad from Super Mario Bros.

I guess its all the padding inside that makes it fit really high on my head? Do people gut theirs or something? I don't want to gut it and not be able to return it if it wont turn out right anyway. Since I might just grab a 1/2 or something.

I Know a helmet is for safety but I'd like to not look like a complete goober  Tongue

Thanks in advance.

IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Re: "old school'' 3/4 helmet?
Reply #1 - 05/18/09 at 16:47:11

that foam in the brain bucket is what protects your relatively delicate dome from relatively hard pavement, bumpers, windshields, fenders, mule deer, well, you get the idea.... if you gut it, and the instructor notices, you wont get to ride....  id say deal with it for the few hours, and then worry about what it looks like....

IP Logged
JeremySW
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/18/09 at 17:00:30

I'm not going to gut it and leave it like that. I guess some just have thinner padding than others? Its actually pretty possible that my head is strangely shaped Grin

Worse case scenario I'll just keep it and let me girlfriend use it for when we ride two-up.

IP Logged
Wolf

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/18/09 at 17:01:11

JeremySW

Check your motorcycle course requirements, many require full or 3/4 helmits, no 1/2's.

Wolf

IP Logged
sockmonkeygirl
Serious Thumper

37 Stitches

W.Mass
Reply #4 - 05/18/09 at 17:05:34

It may be necessary to try on several helmets before you find a good fit.  This was very true for me.  

Please don't gut your helmet.  I may have to come find you if you do.   Angry

IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #5 - 05/18/09 at 17:16:30

JeremySW wrote on 05/18/09 at 17:00:30:
I'm not going to gut it and leave it like that. I guess some just have thinner padding than others? Its actually pretty possible that my head is strangely shaped Grin

Worse case scenario I'll just keep it and let me girlfriend use it for when we ride two-up.

theres 2 types of foam in there...high density "styrofoam" (that crushing instead of your skull is what gives the helmet protection), and soft "pillowfoam" under the fabric (to make it feel comfy)... mess with either, the DOT rating of the bucket is invalidated.... if you dont like it, return it, dont butcher it.... gutting a brain bucket is like putting a drillhole in a condom.....

IP Logged
JeremySW
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 05/18/09 at 17:40:37

Heh... Alright I regret mentioning the gutting part, I didn't really plan on gutting it. It was more to of a "do people gut these things to fit lower on their head or what?''

Let me rephrase everything.

I see people wearing these helmets, and it looks a lot better than the one that is on my head. This thing adds about 4 solid inches to the top of my head. Ideas?

I look like this guy. I purchased the size suggested to me based on the sites guidelines after measuring my head.

http://themushroomkingdom.net/images/sms/sms_toad.jpg

I guess I'll go to a a brick & mortar place. Although I'm sure I won't be able to find many places that carry a wide selection of 3/4ths.

IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #7 - 05/18/09 at 18:09:54

very few newer helmets sit low on the head. there are a couple of companies. fulmer makes a good one v2 i believe. you cannot buy them online though, you have to find a dealer.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #8 - 05/18/09 at 22:05:39

JeremySW wrote on 05/18/09 at 17:40:37:
Heh... Alright I regret mentioning the gutting part, I didn't really plan on gutting it. It was more to of a "do people gut these things to fit lower on their head or what?''

I see people wearing these helmets, and it looks a lot better than the one that is on my head. This thing adds about 4 solid inches to the top of my head. Ideas?

I look like this guy. I purchased the size suggested to me based on the sites guidelines after measuring my head.

I guess I'll go to a a brick & mortar place. Although I'm sure I won't be able to find many places that carry a wide selection of 3/4ths.

It's quite possible that the helmets you see that look like they're sitting lower are the ones like the biker store by me sells: says right on them "for novelty use only" to cover their azz, because there's only a thin layer of foam padding inside.  Most definitely not DOT approved, but I reckon they make ya look cool on your Harley! Cheesy
I'd say I'd probably have better protection zip-tying my old hardhat on than wearing those; at least the hardhat has a suspension rig in it.

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 05/18/09 at 22:10:57

What's wrong with Toad from Super Mario Bros.?....

Put the helmet on, and stare at yourself in the mirror until you start to look funny when you take it off.....

That's how I cured my helmethead phobia........ Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #10 - 05/18/09 at 22:23:41

Serowbot wrote on 05/18/09 at 22:10:57:

Put the helmet on, and stare at yourself in the mirror until you start to look funny when you take it off.....

a good set of vintage styled goggles helps too... lol

IP Logged
JeremySW
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 05/18/09 at 22:25:09

John_D FSO wrote on 05/18/09 at 22:05:39:
JeremySW wrote on 05/18/09 at 17:40:37:

It's quite possible that the helmets you see that look like they're sitting lower are the ones like the biker store by me sells: says right on them "for novelty use only" to cover their azz, because there's only a thin layer of foam padding inside.  Most definitely not DOT approved, but I reckon they make ya look cool on your Harley! Cheesy
I'd say I'd probably have better protection zip-tying my old hardhat on than wearing those; at least the hardhat has a suspension rig in it.

Alright, thats kind of what I was looking for. I just wanted to know if since my helmet was fairly cheap(45 bucksish) that the fit was strange. Or if there were different styles of helmets that I wasn't aware of yet.

IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #12 - 05/18/09 at 22:29:57

Not sure if cheap has anything to do with it.  My 1/2 was a $25 clearance deal, and seems to sit a little high too.  I figure for that price, I can live with looking a little goofy (well, goofier... can't blame it all on the helmet! Grin).

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
JeremySW
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 05/18/09 at 22:33:33

Haha my mellon ain't perdy either.

I was just curious if I had the wrong helmet style or something. Not trying to spark a debate about form VS function.

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #14 - 05/18/09 at 22:37:55

marshall13 wrote on 05/18/09 at 22:23:41:
Serowbot wrote on 05/18/09 at 22:10:57:

a good set of vintage styled goggles helps too... lol

I'VE got some real kewl vintage glasses that look great, square.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/14/24 at 21:38:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › "old school'' 3/4 helmet?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.