Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
"old school'' 3/4 helmet? (Read 318 times)
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Re: "old school'' 3/4 helmet?
Reply #15 - 05/18/09 at 22:55:36

ok, now that you put the foam cutting implements away... there are helmets that come with no attached liner on the higher density foam... they come with a soft foam fit kit that you use to size the bucket to your dome... jc whitney used to sell a couple styles of them, including a 3/4... i dont know if they still do, but it's worth a check... they claimed DOT approval.... maybe by using the kit, you could get 1 of those to sit a half inch lower or so....

IP Logged
Whiskey89
YaBB Newbies

yo

Aliso Viejo
Reply #16 - 05/19/09 at 03:55:50

i have a 3/4ths & full face.

i like the 3/4ths & goggles for short trips to the liquor store, but i'm extremely glad i was wearing my full face for my accident. i still have glass in my cheek, but if i wasnt wearing a fullface it would've been a whole different story.

on the plus side, after an accident your f'd up fullface helmet becomes a medal, family & friends signed mine and quoted stuff like;
"i break windows with my face."
"accidents survived; I"
"idiots drive 4 wheels"
"should've hit a porshe, lawyer would've settled for more"

lol, i think its funny... Point is, wear a fullface so you can laugh about it later. of course my accident was at around 55mph...

i'd just recommend keeping the 1/2's & 3/4's to under 40 mph and less than 10 miles away from home, just in case. I mean i took msf, and had >12k miles on two wheels (not that much, but enough to know how to handle yourself, what to avoid, & how to react and i still got into a wreck because of another idiot)

IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #17 - 05/19/09 at 05:43:10

If you are looking for a DOT approved helmet that doesn't make you look like a mushroom head, consider looking at Daytona brand helmets.
http://www.daytonahelmets.com/home/day/smartlist_70/basic_colors.html

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #18 - 05/19/09 at 06:36:49

I strongly recommend that you return the helmet you have, and go to a shop where you can try on different helmets for fit and comfort. That is what is important. Bleh, forget what you think that other people will think when they look at you. Who cares what others think?

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
AngloSaxon

I'd rather have one
big one than four
small ones.

Framingham MA
Reply #19 - 05/19/09 at 06:44:38

Okay, so I go on line to Helmet City and I see this helmet at just the right price. I look at the sizes and decide that the large is for me. When the helmet arrives at my office I try it on. I found it to be a little tight and it also made me look like The Great Gazoo, you know the little green martian in the Flintstones. Everyone is laughing their arses off. It turns out that I had ordered a youth large. There was nothing on the web page that said anything about Youth helmets. Turns out the people at Helmet City were real nice and sent me an adult helmet at no extra charge, even though in reality it cost $15 more.

As yet, a Bog Standard '87 with a big arse Harley muffler.
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 05/19/09 at 08:28:02

Before you buy any helmet, you owe it to yourself to read this comparison:

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/index.html

IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #21 - 05/19/09 at 20:34:58

Starlifter wrote on 05/19/09 at 06:36:49:
I strongly recommend that you return the helmet you have, and go to a shop where you can try on different helmets for fit and comfort. That is what is important. Bleh, forget what you think that other people will think when they look at you. Who cares what others think?

He's absolutley right! NEVER "order" a helmet. That's a crap shoot. It's about the only place a stealership makes any money off of me. Once you've picked a winner, there is a bit of break in, while the helmet "settles" on you noggin. Yours may sttle in on your head yet, but there's also a good chance it just doesn't fit. Return it and spend some time trying on helmets.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
JeremySW
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 05/20/09 at 10:48:39

The local shop only has two 3/4th helmets, and neither fit.

One has an American Flag paint job, a little 'loud' for me Grin

So i'm reduced to guessing on the net

IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #23 - 05/20/09 at 11:26:24

JeremySW wrote on 05/20/09 at 10:48:39:
The local shop only has two 3/4th helmets, and neither fit.

One has an American Flag paint job, a little 'loud' for me Grin

So i'm reduced to guessing on the net

color is kind of immaterial... a sheet of newspaper, a sheet of 320 grit sandpaper, a roll of masking tape, and a can of your favorite color spraypaint makes it the "right color" for about 5 bucks....  fit is another matter entirely... no harley dealer local? their buckets are expensive, but put the accent on "style".... check local craigslist, newspaper classifieds, even ebay for "vintage helmets"..... alternatively, just paint the bucket you have to match the supermario character's hat, and make it "your joke" instead of "the joke's on you"...

IP Logged
sockmonkeygirl
Serious Thumper

37 Stitches

W.Mass
Reply #24 - 05/20/09 at 11:52:27

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #25 - 05/20/09 at 12:51:21

I like the 3/4 helmets with a visor,I have always used them,but I aways ride with a windshield,With no windshield the full faced is probably best .

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 05/20/09 at 15:25:17

I have been thrown off. I have been forced to step off. And to date I have been nailed by four different vehicles. Wear a Helmet!!!
I am a poster child for Helmet Safety!
Trust me...all the people in rehab look like GOOBERS...and they are the lucky ones!
I have a fat head, and my helmet makes it look twice as big...but I'm still here typing this plea to you...wear a helmet.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/14/24 at 21:31:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › "old school'' 3/4 helmet?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.