changing spark plug (Read 184 times)
russian
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

changing spark plug
05/14/09 at 17:15:59

hello everyone.
i decided to inspect a spark plug on my 2007 S40. I removed the seat and two bolts that secure the rear of the fuel tank, however when i tried to lift and slide the fuel tank it didn't go anywhere. it is a bit loose, but not enough to slide down. am i doing something wrong or missing something? i'm afraid forcefully to pull the tank, with all hoses and cables attached to it. Also, does the tank have to be completelly removed or is it enough just to slide it, and do i have to disconnect any of the hoses?
i'll appreciate your input. thanks.

IP Logged
GrateFuLDad

Boiling Springs,SC
Re: changing spark plug
Reply #1 - 05/14/09 at 18:28:02

your going to have to undo the fuel line from the carb first turing off fuel and the vaccum line as well has to be undone and then lift slightly on the tank to the left to clear the fuel/switch/res/ on bottom left of tank.then gently pull forward and set tank on frame and unplug speedometer.

Hang up that cell phone and let us that Ride LiVE....~!~

standingbearz   IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #2 - 05/14/09 at 18:31:38

You will have to disconnect the fuel and vacuum lines as well as the speedometer cable from the tranny. You pretty much have to wiggle the tank to clear the petcock from the frame. A lot of people actually have to drain the tank and remove the petcock before it will come off.

You will then have to disconnect the wires from under the tank that feed the instrument cluster. After that, just lift the tank and set it aside.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Baldeagle

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Hernando MS
Reply #3 - 05/14/09 at 18:33:15

Had mine off for the second time the other day.   There is an electrical connect you have to disconnect right below up front.  just keep wiggling it will come off.  I disconnected the speedo cable and two hoses connected to the tank.  No you do not have to take it all the way off.  Drain it will be better but a two third hands can hold it far enought away for you to change the plug.  18mm deep socket or what comes in the tool kid.  This time I installed an Iridium plug($13.00) and do not plan to do it again.  I burn nothing but shell gas and good motorcycle oil.  Good luck....and there are some real 'gearheads' on this site who will be glad to answer any question you have. Smiley

Old geezer with a 05 S40
  IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #4 - 05/14/09 at 22:32:18

The petcock hangs up on the frame.  If you remove the two bolts for the tank and seat hold-down gizmo, then lift the back end of the tank and wiggle it just right (as well as disconnecting the two carb hoses and the speedo cable), the tank will slip straight back with more wiggling.  The wiring connector slips off easily.

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #5 - 05/14/09 at 23:18:51

After you have changed the plug you might want to leave the two chrome covers off,that way you don't have to bother with the gas tank every time you want to change the plug, Or install an iridium plug that only needs replacing every year or two.
I like the look without the chrome covers.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #6 - 05/15/09 at 01:38:17

mick wrote on 05/14/09 at 23:18:51:
After you have changed the plug you might want to leave the two chrome covers off,that way you don't have to bother with the gas tank every time you want to change the plug, Or install an iridium plug that only needs replacing every year or two.
I like the look without the chrome covers.

Or, as an alternative, if you happen to like the chrome covers, you can do as these fine folks did, and modify the covers, then you can get them out of the way without removing the tank: http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1124016763
I notice SavageGregs pics on the thread are MIA though. Huh
First time I remove the tank for any reason, I have to remember to break out the Dremel and do this mod!

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:27:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › changing spark plug

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.