waggin my tail (Read 295 times)
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
waggin my tail
05/13/09 at 15:35:29

so i was cruising around last night, and a typical south florida green light is only 30 seconds lol so i got caught @ a yellow and had to slow....pretty quickly.....my reaction is still to slam my right foot(from driving a car for so long) so i started sliding and slipping all over

when i came 2 a stop the older gentlemen next to me gave me a thumbs up....if only he knew it def was not on purpose!!

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
PTRider

Re: waggin my tail
Reply #1 - 05/13/09 at 15:41:32

About 80% to 100% of a modern motorcycle's braking capability is on the front tire.  Can anyone do a stoppie on a Savage/S40 by just clamping down on the front brake?... Even if you start bouncing the bike first?  I doubt it.

Try just using the front brake alone.  When you get out of the habit of using the rear brake, use some rear brake moderately when you begin braking and taper off as you slow.  On the wet, use both equally (but how in the world does anyone judge how much braking effort each end is providing???)

More on braking:
TAPER BRAKING
BRAKING:WEIGHT TRANSFER AND MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #2 - 05/13/09 at 16:50:24

Once you got that rear brake locked up don't let go, you have to ride it out till the bike comes to a stop. If you get off a locked up rear brake when the bike is moving you risk a quick and ugly high side. You did good by keeping the rear locked up till you stopped. Smiley

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #3 - 05/13/09 at 20:05:31

i am definitely am training to only use the front brake!!! and i'd love 2 see a stoppie on a savage...u guys go first!

i went 2 my tattoo artist's 2nite, who's ridden all his life...he walked outside and goes "screw the virago, this is sweeeet!" he had 2 hop on and turn the handle bars too....coming from an old school guy i think that's an awesome compliment!

and i'm glad i kept it under control, i locked up the rear and fishtailed @ the safety course and the instructor asked if i was nuts  Grin

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
aebooze

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingsland, GA
Reply #4 - 05/14/09 at 05:26:57

lol.  I usually use only my rear brake for stopping even though I know I'm supposed to use both of them.  My reason is the squealing from the front brakes annoys me, but I'm too lazy to change the pads and it pisses me off that I should have to change them when they're still good.

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #5 - 05/14/09 at 05:38:25

Find a motorcycle cop.  Ask him about using the rear brake.  They go through the training courses and do the pylon ballet using those big bikes.  They have mastered the rear brake.

IP Logged
savagedml

Paid Alliance
Membership (07/09)

Portsmouth, VA
Reply #6 - 05/14/09 at 05:42:10

I've found it useful to use the bike's engine to help ease the braking process . "Engine braking" by downshifting will assist that front brake in slowing you down. And I certainly won't wreck my bike over a yellow light. I'd rather roll the dice on a ticket than roll the dice on broken bike and bones!

Paid Alliance Membership (07/09)
"Let's roll!"
WWW funluvncareertech   IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #7 - 05/14/09 at 07:07:40

I disagree that one is "supposed" to use both brakes.  On slippery surfaces, yes.  On dry pavement, not so much.  The front has all the braking you can use, although using the rear a bit might help a shorter panic stop.

In the middle of a panic stop is no time to be fiddling with the shifter.  Brake, keep straight, and balance.  If you were taught to downshift during a panic stop, reconsider the wisdom of that.

To de-squeak the disc brake, remove the pads, clean the rust off the steel plate, very lightly sandpaper the friction surface perfectly flat (put fine sandpaper on a flat surface and lightly rub the pad across the sandpaper), and put disc brake caliper grease or no-squeak stuff very sparingly on the points of contact between the backing plate and the caliper.  You don't need new pads if they still have adequate friction material.

IP Logged
savagedml

Paid Alliance
Membership (07/09)

Portsmouth, VA
Reply #8 - 05/14/09 at 07:41:59

Bless your heart PT. No one said anything about "fiddling with a shifter in the middle of a panic stop". Nor did anyone mention "downshifting during a panic stop". Please don't embellish my posts. Thanks.

Paid Alliance Membership (07/09)
"Let's roll!"
WWW funluvncareertech   IP Logged
TestPro

Show up, shut up,
catch up!

Florida
Reply #9 - 05/14/09 at 08:16:28

South Florida, Palm Beach County near the coast in particular, is always adventure biking. The speed limit on I-95 is really the average age of the cage drivers. They tend to wander on the road, panic stopping and avoidance maneuvers are definitely skills to master. Since I got back on the bike I noticed my skills needed updating. Give’em lots of respect and room and never be in a rush. Take the Bee Line Hwy west for a good long ride with not much traffic. You can find your own way back, which is why you got on the bike I the first place.

Cheers,

TestPro
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.

IP Logged
doc5446

Into the night...

Randolph, Ohio
Reply #10 - 05/14/09 at 08:53:27

savagedml wrote on 05/14/09 at 05:42:10:
I've found it useful to use the bike's engine to help ease the braking process . "Engine braking" by downshifting will assist that front brake in slowing you down. And I certainly won't wreck my bike over a yellow light. I'd rather roll the dice on a ticket than roll the dice on broken bike and bones!

I totally agree with ya here. I hardly ever use my brakes at all unless I need to come to a complete stop. Plus I think it is always wise to be in the right gear at the right speed.

K&N air filter, stage 1 jet set, SuperTrapp megaphone exhaust, solo seat w/ clothespin springs, stainless seatpan w/ fenderbib.1971 CB front fender and mirror.
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #11 - 05/14/09 at 09:01:29

i don't dare go on 95 with the bike yet...i don't like driving on it in the car! no one pays attention and they all think they need 2 be in front of u!

i drive a stratus so i'm not the fastest car out there, even the soccer moms are crazed....have u ever seen a minivan peel out? lol

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 05/14/09 at 11:00:27

I was actually taught to downshift during panic stops in the MSF course.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #13 - 05/14/09 at 11:34:17

Too pass my riding test, I had to demonstrate a panic stop. I had to be in first with both feet on the ground at the end.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
merhlin
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Eastern Maine
Reply #14 - 05/14/09 at 12:12:27

When I did my course in Washington state, we had to downshift and be in neutral after the panic stop, with your hand OFF the clutch handle. If said hand was still on the handle he would reach out and remove it to make sure you were in neutral. Bike jumps or stalls, fail that part of the course.

Merhlin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 20:28:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › waggin my tail

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.