Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
waggin my tail (Read 295 times)
PTRider

Re: waggin my tail
Reply #15 - 05/14/09 at 12:20:23

Savagedml, No problem, you know to concentrate on braking when braking hard, but others might not.

Yonuh & BurnPgh, You might give some consideration to what you were taught.  I feel that braking during a panic stop takes away the concentration you need to brake at the max short of locking up and sliding either tire.  I feel that the MSF is wrong here.  What do you feel is safest to get stopped in the shortest possible distance?  I agree with this viewpoint--note the data he posts where the professional riders averaged stops 10-1/2' shorter from 60 mph when just pulling the clutch in and braking.

Rocco, Buy something like this mesh armored motorcycle jacket.  You need mesh for ventilation, and you need the armor for the time you go down.  Get a very bright color...red, yellow, or orange...to help drivers see you and maybe not do something stupid and painful (for you).

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #16 - 05/14/09 at 12:30:45

I never took a motorcycle course,I pull in the clutch when breaking,I wear regular clothes in the summer,like short sleeve shirt.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #17 - 05/14/09 at 13:19:47

Glad you didn't dump yer Bike dude!

I am an instructor with the Canadian equivalent of the American MSF Course ("Gearing Up" Motorcycle Training Program) and we teach;

Both front and rear brakes applied during ALL braking (exception, slight rear "trail" braking as necessary when executing slow-speed maneuvers).

During Emergency Braking; clutch in, apply both brakes evenly (try to avoid front or rear lock-up), tapping down repeatedly on the shifter to ensure in 1st gear at stop in case a quick getaway is needed (as in about to be rear-ended, as Bike can stop waaaay quicker than cages)

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #18 - 05/14/09 at 19:36:17

u guys give the best advice! i didn't realize til after how close i had come 2 flipping...i was almost sideways if i recall!

when i brake i pull in clutch, downshift and both brakes...that's what i was taught and it works pretty good, but right now my right foot is heavier then my right hand lol

and i did just that! my friend gave me a very thick leather jacket....looks bada$$.....but i'll get heat stroke if it's not snowing down here...so i bought a motoboss mesh and armor jacket...on sale 120 @ cycle gear...black, red and reflective silver...those are my colors and it doesn't feel like i'm wearing anything with the water/wind liner removed!

i'm thinking of getting the leds that sit near the engine, kind of like "chassis glo" on cars....since my bike is black with purple and blue sparkles i was thinking a deep purple light would look sweet shining off the engine......i saw a chopper that had green and it looked wicked....awesome AND safe, sign me up!

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #19 - 05/14/09 at 22:44:31

Rocco wrote on 05/14/09 at 19:36:17:
u guys give the best advice! i didn't realize til after how close i had come 2 flipping...i was almost sideways if i recall!

when i brake i pull in clutch, downshift and both brakes...that's what i was taught and it works pretty good, but right now my right foot is heavier then my right hand lol  

Yeah I know what you mean, that right foot instintively leaps up off of the gas pedel and stomps down on the brake all by itself.

JOG reduced the rear brake shoes area so you can apply a heavy foot without locking it up.

You can also lower the engagement point so it takes more pedal travel.

WWW   IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #20 - 05/15/09 at 02:05:51

PerrydaSavage wrote on 05/14/09 at 13:19:47:
Glad you didn't dump yer Bike dude!

I am an instructor with the Canadian equivalent of the American MSF Course ("Gearing Up" Motorcycle Training Program) and we teach;

Both front and rear brakes applied during ALL braking (exception, slight rear "trail" braking as necessary when executing slow-speed maneuvers).

During Emergency Braking; clutch in, apply both brakes evenly (try to avoid front or rear lock-up), tapping down repeatedly on the shifter to ensure in 1st gear at stop in case a quick getaway is needed (as in about to be rear-ended, as Bike can stop waaaay quicker than cages)

Precisely the technique and reasoning our instructor (Clark County WA) taught us.  Works for me; once I got into the habit, I don't even think about it when I downshift, whether during gradual or sudden stops.  
Although I must admit, my very first panic stop, I locked the backend up too! Grin  Blasted cage pulled out in front of me when I was cruising a nice backroad with shiny new Class 3 endorsement.  
Got a better feel for the brake now, and it's broken in a little, it's a little more forgiving to that kinda thing.
And I definitely need to save up for one of those shnazzy mesh jackets, it's gonna be a warm summer! Cool

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #21 - 05/15/09 at 09:03:31

i'm trying to get to the point where i don't have 2 think about it, it just happens....my karate is like that but i've been training 3 years every day...and if u get a textile jacket u won't even feel it, except the knowing the fact u have elbow pads lol

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 22:29:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › waggin my tail

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.