Front wheel squeal? (Read 200 times)
Fubar
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ohio
Front wheel squeal?
05/13/09 at 11:44:25

Alright must be my day to post. I have a 2003 savage that I just recently purchased. My front brakes are super touchy and when applied squeal and kinda sudder. Also when I am just rolling if back and forth it squeals like something is rubbing. Is there any sort of adjustment for the front brakes so they aren't so touchy or why it sounds like it's rubbing all the time. I have looked at the pads and they look brand new, also the back brakes squeal. So I am thinking front and rear brakes are new. I know that brake squeal is a common problem with the savages but is there something I can do to get rid of it. As far as the fronts go I barely have to apply them to use and really don't like to because of this. Undecided

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Re: Front wheel squeal?
Reply #1 - 05/13/09 at 11:48:02

The only real way to check brake pads is to take them out and look at them.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
AngloSaxon

I'd rather have one
big one than four
small ones.

Framingham MA
Reply #2 - 05/13/09 at 11:53:40

There are brake cleaner products on the market that you could try. As to your brakes looking new...don't be fooled by just looking at them. Take them apart and check them thoroughly, front and back.

As yet, a Bog Standard '87 with a big arse Harley muffler.
  IP Logged
Fubar
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ohio
Reply #3 - 05/13/09 at 12:09:05

Has far as the wheel making noise just making noise by moving back in forth....any thoughts? Mainly when backing out of the garage.

IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/13/09 at 14:57:36

I had that problem after changing my caliper pads last year.
It turned out the stealership sold me a set that was for an ATV.
When I called EBC to ask what I should do, they sent me the correct ones without charge. It no longer squeels like a pig. This year when I was needing pads I knew which one to get.
BTW make sure your caliper is free to move on the sliding pins. This will stop a pad from dragging on the disc.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #5 - 06/23/09 at 21:28:37

Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 05/13/09 at 11:48:02:
The only real way to check brake pads is to take them out and look at them.

That MAY be true, but I can get a "95%" check pretty easily by just eyeballing the pads while they are installed in the calipers.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 06/23/09 at 22:08:22

You should be able to grab the caliper assy & push & pull & create a slight gap between pads & rotor. If you cant, the bolts that it slides on need cleaned up. Might be a good idea to change the fluid.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #7 - 06/23/09 at 23:45:35

I started developing the brake squeal to the point to where it made that annoying sound every time I braked.  I flipped the stock pads but do effect on the squealing.  So I did front end tune-up.  I removed and flushed out the forks, reinstalled forks, added new oil, increased fork spring spacers from 5" to 6" and changed out the brake pads to DP Brakes (England) sintered metal pads.

Between the new fluid, lengthened spacers and the new brake pads, the whole front end feels much more confidence inspiring.  

IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #8 - 06/24/09 at 07:39:32

Excellent replacement pads are EBC FA106 (with no suffix).

Pads squeal on the back sides.  The steel backing plate vibrates against the iron caliper or steel piston.  You can remove the pads, clean up any spots on the backs that show rubbing, lightly sandpaper the friction surface on some fine sandpaper placed on a flat surface, put various brands of anti-squeal goop on the backing plate at the contact points, and reinstall.  The minimum thickness of the friction material is 1 mm.

When reinstalling the caliper, be SURE you thread the bolts in easily and don't cross thread them.

Brake fluid absorbs moisture from the air.  Water dissolved in brake fluid causes it to boil (flash to vapor) when heated from heavy braking.  Your lever goes to the handgrip (pedal to the floor in a car) and you have no braking.  The telltale is that the brakes feel OK again after they've cooled and you've changed your shorts.  New brake fluid every two or three years is highly recommended in cars and bikes.  DOT4 fluid has a higher wet boiling point than DOT3.  All brake fluid is synthetic, so don't get hyped.  DOT5 is silicone and must never be used in any system that is not originally designed for DOT5.

IP Logged
David M Smith
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 06/24/09 at 08:41:36

I had almost the same issue. When inspected the mechanic told me my forks were leaking slowly and draining onto my front breaks. He said I would probably be already for the summer as long as I got them fixed up before next spring. A good winter project. I get a heck of a squeal most days and sometimes worse on "moist" days.
 Last night I bought some break parts cleaner and let them have it. WOW the liquid ran black out the bottom. Looked like I was spraying oil into it, which technically I was spraying the dirty oil/grease OUT of it. Can't hurt to try that out. However the constant noise may be the issue as someone else stated. Wrong size or they may just rub a little until worn down some be use or manually.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #10 - 07/05/09 at 20:41:23

David M Smith wrote on 06/24/09 at 08:41:36:
....When inspected the mechanic told me my forks were leaking slowly and draining onto my front breaks.....

I might be crazy, but if it were me, and I had fork fluid leaking onto the front brake pads, I'd change the pads out ASAP.

In my experience, brake cleaner will not totally clean oil-soaked brake pads.

If you REALLY need the brakes some day, they may not be there for you unless you put in new pads.

I'm just sayin'.

Ya'll be careful out there!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
GrateFuLDad

Boiling Springs,SC
Reply #11 - 07/06/09 at 06:37:34

Fubar wrote on 05/13/09 at 12:09:05:
Has far as the wheel making noise just making noise by moving back in forth....any thoughts? Mainly when backing out of the garage.

mine does this very thing... and if i turn my handlebars to much while backing out it squeals louder...  2003 savage also..

Hang up that cell phone and let us that Ride LiVE....~!~

standingbearz   IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #12 - 07/06/09 at 07:43:15

GrateFuLDad wrote on 07/06/09 at 06:37:34:
Fubar wrote on 05/13/09 at 12:09:05:

mine does this very thing... and if i turn my handlebars to much while backing out it squeals louder...  2003 savage also..

..and the problem remains through 2005 models.  Glad it's not just mine, I thought I might have a stuck piston seal or something. The anti-squeal backing goop helps somewhat with both the regular brake squealing and the lower frequency booOOOOOoooOOOoooop when backing up, but does not cure the problem.  Cleaning/resurfacing the disc and pads helps only temporarily.  I got some EBC kevlar pads and will install them this week.  Will also try the trick of installing one FA106 pad and one FA106/2, and thereafter just install the /2 pads one at a time per SV og LS's advice.  Same service interval, and twice the mileage out of the pads for the money.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #13 - 07/06/09 at 07:48:51

My front brakes squeal too on my 2005 s40 . Can you spray brake cleaner on the pads and rotors without taking them apart ,or is that not recommended ? Thanks

IP Logged
AngloSaxon

I'd rather have one
big one than four
small ones.

Framingham MA
Reply #14 - 07/06/09 at 10:20:45

rl153 wrote on 07/06/09 at 07:48:51:
My front brakes squeal too on my 2005 s40 . Can you spray brake cleaner on the pads and rotors without taking them apart ,or is that not recommended ? Thanks

You can spray it on when assembled, but you'll have to do some wrench work if you want to clean and lube the caliper guides.

As yet, a Bog Standard '87 with a big arse Harley muffler.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 22:36:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Front wheel squeal?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.