Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Back-wards oil filter!?!? (Read 345 times)
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Back-wards oil filter!?!?
Reply #15 - 05/13/09 at 23:59:26

Engineers only the job once or twice.  And if you don't interupt them every 5 minutes to handle some technicians total disregard to the blue print blessed by a designer, ME, change committee, his boss, his bosses boss and customer alike, each having 10 changes to prove they are in charge, and completely screwing up the part, then they are completely out of their element.

Tell you what... next time you invent something, I won't criticize it.  

WWW   IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #16 - 05/13/09 at 23:59:57

John_D FSO wrote on 05/13/09 at 23:44:13:
marshall13 wrote on 05/12/09 at 17:26:06:
prsavage wrote on 05/12/09 at 17:20:39:
I am currently working on a brand new ship (BCFerry, M.V. Island Sky).  We had the engine manufacturer's rep do the final inspection/service before handing the boat over to us but he didn't start the engine and z-peller after changing the filters.  On the next startup we blew a 2" gear oil line apart and lost about 200 litres into the bilge.  We did it 4 more times before we found he had left a valve turned 180 essentially blinding the filter housing outlet.

always doublecheck the work of an engineer....lol Grin

But wait, aren't the engineers supposed to know everything? Roll Eyes

Yeah, none of ya were going for that, were ya! Grin

used to work building warming ovens for airliners, one day i find a latch part mis-drilled (lean manufacturing, so no spares...rofl) i tell the super visor, she calls the engineer, Todd... Todd shows up says "what's the prob?" i show him the part, tell him the hole is 1/8 inch outboard of where it belongs... he pulls his calipers... he measures the part, he measures where it fits on the oven, he goes to the phone.... 2 more engineers show up... they huddle... they measure everything but my shoes....  they huddle again... so by now, it's like 1/2 an hour since Todd showed up... i wander over... "what's the deal, Todd?" i ask... they mutter back and forth, then he tells me "the hole appears to be a hundred and twenty five thousandths off, to the outboard side".... my supervisor laughs... i laugh... the engineer herd looks confused... i ask Todd"so whats that in fractions, Todd?" he mumbles... i ask him to speak up "umm, an eigth inch".... that's when i decided i didnt want to be an engineer, because it took 3 guys with probably a collective 20 years of school behind them, 3 dial calipers, and half an hour to figure out what i saw with my own 2 eyes in 3 seconds.....and im neither a brilliant observer, nor particularly bright....

IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #17 - 05/14/09 at 00:07:04

verslagen1 wrote on 05/13/09 at 23:59:26:
Engineers only the job once or twice.  And if you don't interupt them every 5 minutes to handle some technicians total disregard to the blue print blessed by a designer, ME, change committee, his boss, his bosses boss and customer alike, each having 10 changes to prove they are in charge, and completely screwing up the part, then they are completely out of their element.

Tell you what... next time you invent something, I won't criticize it.   verslagen.savageriders.com/smiley/angry021.gif

all in fun, bro.... ive got nothing but praise for your efforts and insights on the bikes, the parts, and especially for your brilliantly simple hand grenade preventer.... Todd could have done it, but it would have taken 15 parts, and added 40 lbs to the bike....rofl

IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #18 - 05/14/09 at 00:07:16

Sorry if I stepped on any toes, it was meant in a lighthearted manner.  We've had some awesome ME's, and some less than awesome.  Same as any other position.  We just liked to give them a hard time, becuase they're usually good natured about it.

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #19 - 05/14/09 at 00:34:45

I usually do, but let me tell you what I did today... an inspector wrote up a part that was 1/300 over spec., negociated with the customers rep on course of action, he said he'd take it up with his engineers, they said no way jose, and why didn't you follow procedure you said you would follow?  (just shoot me)  So I conversed with the ME, told him the customer doesn't need the part so it was going to be hell trying to get to accept these parts like they are, so you are going fix these parts like I told you 6 months ago.  I'll go over it (again) with the lead on how to follow the chart which explains all.  He said they know that, but they won't shoot for the max cause if they go over it's their but, and I said they did go over so go give them a rash.
And then I got a tech whose makin' $5k a part complaining about an overheatin' machine cause dust bunnies are cloggin' up el cheapo air filters.   Shocked  So I said you can't clean them out?  he said not my yob   Roll Eyes  I didn't say much for the rest of the day.

WWW   IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #20 - 05/14/09 at 01:00:13

I'm actually one of the dreaded QC inspectors at work that puts stuff on hold, everybody loves to see us coming. Grin  Like everyone else though, we just have to go by what the specs or our boss tell us.  
We run a part that's consistently measured under the lower spec for years now; we put 'em on hold, the ME's keep signing 'em off "use as is".  I can't even remember how long my super's been working to get the spec changed... I think it's stuck in Document Control now.  We're down to 1 person in that whole department now.  Dang you recession, we need more people! Angry

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #21 - 05/14/09 at 01:03:35

verslagen1 wrote on 05/14/09 at 00:34:45:
I usually do, but let me tell you what I did today... an inspector wrote up a part that was 1/300 over spec., negociated with the customers rep on course of action, he said he'd take it up with his engineers, they said no way jose, and why didn't you follow procedure you said you would follow?  (just shoot me)  So I conversed with the ME, told him the customer doesn't need the part so it was going to be hell trying to get to accept these parts like they are, so you are going fix these parts like I told you 6 months ago.  I'll go over it (again) with the lead on how to follow the chart which explains all.  He said they know that, but they won't shoot for the max cause if they go over it's their but, and I said they did go over so go give them a rash.
And then I got a tech whose makin' $5k a part complaining about an overheatin' machine cause dust bunnies are cloggin' up el cheapo air filters.   Shocked  So I said you can't clean them out?  he said not my yob   Roll Eyes  I didn't say much for the rest of the day.

wow, rough indeed!! your sobriety is admirable... ida had to tie on a good one, i think...lol  5k a part?? hell, ill clean the dustbunnies at 5k a part.... heres a pearl of wisdom from my dad: a mind-murder a day keeps the psychiatrist away....

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #22 - 06/24/09 at 20:38:42

SavageDanny wrote on 05/11/09 at 07:28:40:
....I put the little gear on the back of the clutch on backwards once. You know the little gear that turns the other gear that makes your oil pump work.  Embarrassed No oil was getting to the top. It ran fine for a week then started having problems. It got noisy and ran like crap. Took it all back apart and found I had to replace the cam and rockers......

SavageD,

If you're sayin' what I think you're sayin', then my respect for the engine in the mighty Savage just went up a notch!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 08:32:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Back-wards oil filter!?!?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.