Oxidation (Read 93 times)
cgmarc
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Savannah, GA
Oxidation
06/23/09 at 17:11:16

I just bought my 95 savage a couple of weeks ago from a guy in camden, sc. I live in Savannah. I have noticed a little bit of rust creeping onto part of the chrome( handle bars and some other areas throughout the bike). Anyone a lowcountry rider that has dealt with this? It's my first bike since being stationed here and I don't know...paint it with rustoleum??? Thanks.

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Re: Oxidation
Reply #1 - 06/23/09 at 18:29:17

cgmarc wrote on 06/23/09 at 17:11:16:
I just bought my 95 savage a couple of weeks ago from a guy in camden, sc. I live in Savannah. I have noticed a little bit of rust creeping onto part of the chrome( handle bars and some other areas throughout the bike). Anyone a lowcountry rider that has dealt with this? It's my first bike since being stationed here and I don't know...paint it with rustoleum??? Thanks.

i bought a rust removing gel. Its a pink gel, you should be able to get in the automotive sections of hardware stores.

IP Logged
yumi

2004 Purple

gainesville, fl
Reply #2 - 06/23/09 at 18:32:35

I'm in Gainesville, FL and before I got mine a couple of months ago she lived in St. Augustine Beach for years.

Try automotive steel wool and then a polish like Never Dull. Apparently the polish works alone too.

IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #3 - 06/24/09 at 13:27:52

odvelasc wrote on 06/23/09 at 18:29:17:
cgmarc wrote on 06/23/09 at 17:11:16:

i bought a rust removing gel. Its a pink gel, you should be able to get in the automotive sections of hardware stores.

I believe that one brand name is Naval Jelly.  (That's NAVAL, NOT NAVEL.  Navel Jelly would have too much lint in it   Cheesy)

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
cgmarc
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Savannah, GA
Reply #4 - 06/24/09 at 19:58:24

Thanks for the suggestions. I've got my entire weekend blocked off for my bike and myself, so it should be sparkling come monday.

IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #5 - 06/24/09 at 22:20:41

+1 on Naval Jelly. Works like a charm, but it will take off paint, so be careful!

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 06:21:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oxidation

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!