Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Wrong gasket, need help!! (Read 120 times)
DocNeedles

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

British Columbia
Wrong gasket, need help!!
05/10/09 at 17:03:38

I am just putting my bike back together again after torquing the head installing the oil plug cap, and installing the Verslavy when I go to put the gasket and clutch casing on the bike, I find that it is the wrong gasket which was a back up gasket that i bought from the Suzuki dealership a long time ago.  I look up Ron Ayers microfiche for the Savage and they don't have the part number 11483-24B01-H17 listed anywhere.  I thought it might have been the gasket on the left side of the bike and looks like it should fit from the outside but the part # doesn't match.
Can someone tell me the right part number for the right side gasket so that I can get the bike back on the road??  Thanks.
DocNeedles

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Wrong gasket, need help!!
Reply #1 - 05/10/09 at 17:30:41

off the package of a freshly bought gasket

11482-24B11

most likely made in 2005

WWW   IP Logged
Wolf

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/11/09 at 10:14:32

I purchased OEM gaskets from the stealership... yikes... $115 for the set... and I still have to wait a week!   Needless to say, I have seen them advertised for alot less online and ebay.  Question I have is this...

Centauro gaskets.  Anyone with knowledge please chime in.  I found these on ebay and they sold for $45 (complete set).  Lowest I have seen online is around $80-90.

Any thoughts or comments  Smiley

Wolf

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 05/11/09 at 10:22:01

I walked into a local shop & asked for a gasket for mine. They poked a disk in a computer, fired up a machine & cut me one. Quick, cheap & easy.. sounds biographical, dont it?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #4 - 05/11/09 at 10:58:20

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/11/09 at 10:22:01:
I walked into a local shop & asked for a gasket for mine. They poked a disk in a computer, fired up a machine & cut me one. Quick, cheap & easy.. sounds biographical, dont it?

Justin, did the shop add the extra sealer around the top bolts and oil channels like the stock clutch cover gasket?  

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #5 - 05/11/09 at 17:26:17

Just use sealer and forget the gaskets.  I put mine together some thousands of miles ago that way, and it hasn't stopped running or started leaking yet.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 05/11/09 at 19:30:21

diamond jim wrote on 05/11/09 at 10:58:20:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/11/09 at 10:22:01:

Justin, did the shop add the extra sealer around the top bolts and oil channels like the stock clutch cover gasket?  

Maaaan,, I cant ruMIMbur that far back. I know I did use the goop on it.
But, if I just had to say, Id say NO, because iy was cut from a long piece of paper on a roll, so it wouldnt have been on the paper & IIRC, they just peeled it out of this machine & handed it to me.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 05/11/09 at 20:03:39

Personally, I've removed that cover and replaced several times without adding the goop.  I think it's to prevent it blowing out in a low clamp torque down.

Also note that the oil pathway area, the gasket isn't cut entirely open.  This gives it more stability.  I would put a few holes around the transfer ports and begin and end.

Goop only should be ok.  Make sure to cure it completely before adding oil.  And not to make it thin.  The shaft for one of the starter gears is trapped between the cover and case.  And if you have binding problems with the starter, this is where it might be from.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 02:13:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Wrong gasket, need help!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.