Send Topic Print
New Savage Owner (Read 171 times)
PirateBuddha
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Savage Owner
05/09/09 at 19:12:28

Hey all.  So, finally went out and bought a bike: '04 Savage 2600 miles great condition, and got it as a steal (only 1K)! This is my first bike and I'm really excited Grin, but I'm a bigger guy with a wide frame and am hoping to do some mods to make it a bit more comfortable and spread out a little.

If anyone can direct me to some good posts/sites, for both equipment and some know how, I'm hoping to put on some drag bars, exhaust, and do a seat mod.

Great Forum! Hope I'm posting in the the right place?  Thanks for any help!

IP Logged
NewThumperGuy

Lets Ride!!!!

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Re: New Savage Owner
Reply #1 - 05/09/09 at 19:39:41

Welcome. You definately have the right place. Lots of tips and tech help for everything you need. If cant find it, ask, lots of knowledgable and experienced riders here that can help.
Spent the day modding myself. Glue is drying on the seat as we speak.
Check out Ed's forward controls that should take care of the stretching out.
Ride safe.  Smiley

97 LS650 T
  IP Logged
False Illusion

Two digits down as
we're passin'!

Dayton/Southwest Ohio
Reply #2 - 05/09/09 at 20:28:32

Welcome, PirateBuddha!

There is SO much help, advice, and great ideas from the great folks here...you may as well block out a bunch of Saturday afternoons for moddin'!

If it's your first time on a bike...sign up for a MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) Safety Course in your town. Plenty of good stuff to be learned...

http://www.msf-usa.org

Be safe and ENJOY that bike!  Cool

Black '07 Boulevard S40 w/ OEM Saddlebags, Windshield, Guard, SissyBar,and Rack. Schwinn Bicycle Computer, Highway Pegs by Thumperclone, Time Piece ala the $ store...and a $5 cooler from WalMart Wink
  IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #3 - 05/09/09 at 20:36:58

Welcome!! If you want to mod you have found the right place. Search "Forward Controls" and you will find many great ideas. Ed L has a kit that seems to be The best control mod for you long legged riders.  Wink

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
PirateBuddha
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/09/09 at 21:49:20

Wow. Thanks for the quick responses! Fantastic forum here!

IP Logged
SavRon

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ohio
Reply #5 - 05/10/09 at 04:22:48

Seat Mod, Forward Controls & Highway Bar will definetely increase the Comfort level.

IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #6 - 05/10/09 at 08:21:06

PirateBuddha wrote on 05/09/09 at 19:12:28:
This is my first bike and I'm really excited  

Can you accept some advice that isn't what you asked for?

Do take the beginning rider course.  

Do read these web sites:
http://genjac.com/BoomerBiker/
http://www.msgroup.org/articles.aspx

We hope you ride safely, but that presupposes that one has the knowledge of what is safe and unsafe.  Be very careful until you've gathered the knowledge.  Did you know that at speeds above 6 mph to turn the bike right you turn the handlebars left?  True.  If you turn the handlebars right to turn right, you'll do a "highside*" and be headed under the wheels of that loaded cement truck in the other lane.  The same thing happens the other way for left turns, except you'll be flung into the weeds...or off the cliff.

*:43 seconds into this video
http://www.break.com/usercontent/2007/2/Motorcycle-HighSide-229314.html

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #7 - 05/10/09 at 08:50:26

On that video link, those burnout gone bad videos are hilarious!

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #8 - 05/10/09 at 10:06:56

If anyone can direct me to some good posts/sites, for both equipment and some know how, I'm hoping to put on some drag bars, exhaust, and do a seat mod.

Good link for equipment = suzukisavage.com
Good link for how to = suzukisavage.com
Good link for, oh heck with it, you wanna know about this bike you already found the best place. suzukisavage.com.

Welcome aboard, this is the best site for anything related to the Savage/S40. Just be careful when you start modifying, it can get addictive. Look what happened to me.

Before Mods

Currently

And I still ain't done.  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #9 - 05/10/09 at 17:52:02

Welcome. Definately EdL's forward controls. As for seat mod, I highly recommmend Diamond Jim's, though I don't think it's listed as a seat mod. It was under something else. I did the mod and the comfort difference is unbelievable. It's also a counter-intuitive mod, as you cut off most of the foam. One of the best things I've done to the bike. Not only more comfortable, but the handling of the bike improved due to the new seating position. Only thing is, now I wish I'd ordered the 4 inch forward controls, instead of the 3 inch. Still, some highway pegs (next project), and I should have that problem sorted out.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
PirateBuddha
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 05/11/09 at 18:52:37

Just want to thank everybody for the input! And, I think it's fantastic how many of you suggested the Safety Course (I've actually been riding off & on since I was sixteen... now going on, um, well older  Wink  

Anyway, I'll be in touch with ED L for the forward controls, that seems to be the way to go. I'll do those and the drag bar at the same time and I'm still researching some seat mods - thanks Jay - I look forward to checking back into the Forum. Fantastic Site!

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 05/11/09 at 19:22:52

Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 05/10/09 at 10:06:56:

Good link for equipment = suzukisavage.com
Good link for how to = suzukisavage.com
Good link for, oh heck with it, you wanna know about this bike you already found the best place. suzukisavage.com.

Welcome aboard, this is the best site for anything related to the Savage/S40. Just be careful when you start modifying, it can get addictive. Look what happened to me.

Before Mods
http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/7/l_75b5160079f0a3f4421bb1ad9aa13...

Currently
http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/79/l_d81140c5ad3a46e2a2e7a66f8920...

And I still ain't done.  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Yonuh is the Savage poster boy. He has to be the most proud savage owner ever lol. I love his posts showing his progress (he is savage-holic lol) I am gonna hold Yonuh's children ransom for his bike. I love it. Post hijacking aside. Try the Vmcarb, dial a jet and UFO mod. Gives your bike so much pep. I have been through hell and back tuning it so I have quite a bit of knowledge on it now lol

IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #12 - 05/11/09 at 19:40:32

You may want to consider a fork brace too. They really stabilze the front end at hiway speeds. Considering the price and ease of installation it's a very worthwhile mod.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 22:21:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New Savage Owner

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.