Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Missing battery breather tube (Read 103 times)
Christian O Reilly
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Missing battery breather tube
05/10/09 at 12:43:19

The savage I bought last year had no breather tube on its battery. I used it all summer time (yeah, try riding a bike in winter at Montreal...) without any problems. Now, I'm working on its battery trying to solve some starting problems and I'm wondering about the missing breather tube utility... Is it normal that it is missing (on a standard lead/acid battery)? Is it worth worrying? What is the purpose of this tube (a hole can breathe without a tube fixed on it!)? May I replace it by any appropriate size tube? Thanx for any insights...

Christian
  IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Re: Missing battery breather tube
Reply #1 - 05/10/09 at 13:16:36

the purpose of the batt vent tube is to multi-task... it vents the hydrogen produced by the chemical activity in the battery, and in the event of dropping the bike, gives a path for the spilled electrolyte to floow that will prevent it hitting most finished parts... sulphuric acid tends to make steel rust at rapid speed.... any rubber tube that is a reasonably tight fit on the nipple on the battery case is a good replacement.....if you do get electrolyte on your frame, neutralize the acid with baking soda, lye(last resort, as this stuff is very unforgiving of mis-handling), amonia, or dawn dishwashing soap solutions... all are alkyline... rinse until you cant stand it, then rinse a few minutes more...pay close attention to joints between parts.... a hidden spot unrinsed could eat through the low-carbon steel of the frame rather quickly.... repairing the frame is tons less fun than riding..... poutine is an excellent source of internal heat for winter riding in the great white north...lol (that's fries with gravy and cheese curds, for my fellow americans)

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #2 - 05/10/09 at 13:49:53

If you have a gel cell battery it doesn't use a breather tube. Maybe that is why yours is missing. If it isn't any tubing that is the correct size will work, it runs dow and out the bottom of the battery box after the rear frame parts. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
aliassmith

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/10/09 at 14:01:17

If it is a lead acid battery, the puke tube is there to keep acid dribbles off of other parts of the bike.  If the battery has a nipple for a tube, it should have a tube. Go to a hardware store and buy 18 inches of 3/16ths plastic tube abd fit it up so that the tube dumps inside of the exhaust hanger and below all parts of the bike except the tires. cut off the excess.
Ahhh! Piece of mind again.

Aliassmith

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 05/10/09 at 15:48:23

& IF you have a breather tube, keep any sparks or flames away from it. I let a shower of sparks from a grinder desplode my bat tree & cause me one heckuva cleanup & the $$$ for a new battery.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #5 - 05/10/09 at 16:39:01

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/10/09 at 15:48:23:
& IF you have a breather tube, keep any sparks or flames away from it. I let a shower of sparks from a grinder desplode my bat tree & cause me one heckuva cleanup & the $$$ for a new battery.

hydrogen+sparks=hindenburg....lol  glad you escaped the incident unscathed except in the wallet, JOG2... i still save the set of clothes i was wearing when i had an equipment battery explode on me... nothing like a sulphuric acid shower to make a warm summer day exciting.... always wear eye protection when working on or around a battery... selling pencils on street corners is not very lucrative...

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05/10/09 at 16:55:04

marshall13 wrote on 05/10/09 at 13:16:36:
the purpose of the batt vent tube is to multi-task... it vents the hydrogen produced by the chemical activity in the battery, and in the event of dropping the bike, gives a path for the spilled electrolyte to floow that will prevent it hitting most finished parts... sulphuric acid tends to make steel rust at rapid speed.... any rubber tube that is a reasonably tight fit on the nipple on the battery case is a good replacement.....if you do get electrolyte on your frame, neutralize the acid with baking soda, lye(last resort, as this stuff is very unforgiving of mis-handling), amonia, or dawn dishwashing soap solutions... all are alkyline... rinse until you cant stand it, then rinse a few minutes more...pay close attention to joints between parts.... a hidden spot unrinsed could eat through the low-carbon steel of the frame rather quickly.... repairing the frame is tons less fun than riding..... poutine is an excellent source of internal heat for winter riding in the great white north...lol (that's fries with gravy and cheese curds, for my fellow americans)

Poutine! Ces Bon!! How do you know of Poutine? Its the best thing to come out of la belle provence Quebec. As for the breather tube. Did you look for it dangling under the batter box?

IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #7 - 05/10/09 at 17:07:58

odvelasc wrote on 05/10/09 at 16:55:04:

Poutine! Ces Bon!! How do you know of Poutine? Its the best thing to come out of la belle provence Quebec. As for the breather tube. Did you look for it dangling under the batter box?

check my locale, northern bro.... broward county florida has the highest Quebecois population on the planet during the winter... yeah, poutine and maple candy prove where the real civilization is located in north america...lol

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 05/10/09 at 17:40:16

marshall13 wrote on 05/10/09 at 17:07:58:
odvelasc wrote on 05/10/09 at 16:55:04:

check my locale, northern bro.... broward county florida has the highest Quebecois population on the planet during the winter... yeah, poutine and maple candy prove where the real civilization is located in north america...lol

Yeah! Go figure "snowbirds" lol. Anne Murray sang about it in her song 'snowbird'

IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 05/11/09 at 11:11:42

BTW Battery acid eats high carbon steel faster than low carbon steel.
I discovered this by using battery acid to assist in removing a broken tap from a hole I was threading. I eyedroppered in enough acid to fill it to above the broken tap and let it sit for about 30 minutes. I then power rinsed the acid out and was able to remove the broken tap with two sail needles and a screwdriver.  I then rinsed it some more and blew it out with compressed air. Wore goggles the whole time.

I was able to tap the hole at the size originally intended when it was done.
DO NOT try this with holes in aluminum or magnesium.
It should work even better to remove a broken tap from stainless steel though.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #10 - 05/11/09 at 12:33:15

nitric acid does the same with high.carbon steels, though i think it's more the alloying metals in the toolsteels, rather than the carbon content, but that's just a guess... sulphuric acid will not attack aluminum... it's the electrolyte used for the anodization process....the tap-loosening technique will work in aluminum holes.... never use a torch to try to loosen parts in aluminum though... 1800 degrees f, and aluminum burns....  kind of off topic, but something to know...

IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #11 - 05/11/09 at 13:32:55

Battery acid is 35% sulfuric acid and 65% water.  Anodizing sulfuric acid is 15% acid and 85% water.  Sulfuric acid and aluminum combine to produce aluminum sulfate, a white powdery material.

Solid aluminum is almost impossible to burn.  Powdered aluminum burns at 6920°F.  Aluminum melts at 1220°F, and glows red at higher temperatures...it melts before it changes color.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:16:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Missing battery breather tube

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.