Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
proper left hand nut torque (Read 68 times)
RadRacer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Petaluma,Calif
proper left hand nut torque
05/09/09 at 11:09:37

Is the book correct on this 101-115 ft/lbs on the left hand flywheel nut the reason i ask is cause cam sprocket shattered while trying to get it there and was only at 60+ ft/lbs when it shattered......i just got my 3rd sprocket and want to get back riding soon so please help lol am i missing something? ive checked and rechecked all gear and cam chain alignments im stumped

'97 Savage stock carb #55 pilot, 1/2 spacer, #160 main,Modified Jardine, K&n air filter w/ pre-charger wrap, Nology Ign. Coil, PowerStar Spark Plug, ported head, stock cam, Verslavvy,Belt Drive
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: proper left hand nut torque
Reply #1 - 05/10/09 at 08:30:28

Which book? Clymers or Suzi? Compare, call a few shops, I have no clue, but thats th way Id go at it if I had that question. Good luck,.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #2 - 05/10/09 at 11:21:19

by the size of the nut, the torque spec is about right(actually very conservative)...  are you sure your torque wrench isnt in need of calibration?  got your hardware stacked correctly on the shaft? any burrs or such on splines? a 1 ton compressive load shouldnt even phase a steel gear that's mounted correctly....

IP Logged
aliassmith

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/10/09 at 14:10:45

If you are talking about the left hand thread on the nut on the starboard side of the crankshaft, the one that holds the gear that drives the clutch and cam chain, I do not understand what shattered the cam sprocket.
Unless there was a piece of debris behind it when you torqued it.

aliassmith

IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #4 - 05/10/09 at 17:00:34

can you post a decent pic of the remains? preferably both sides, and edge shots of the break?  about the only reasonable explanation (assuming all parts were installed correctly) is the gear was defective... if the steel was burnt during the tempering process,or if it was hardened but never drawn(glass hard thoughout), it could conceivably shatter under torquing.... if the shaft hole was improperly machined, torquing could split or crack the gear....  i guess if you immobilized the shaft by using one of the gear teeth to lock it, you could maybe have gotten it to "cant" on the shaft while torquing....

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 20:25:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › proper left hand nut torque

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.