Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
This one's for the old heads (Read 199 times)
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

This one's for the old heads
05/09/09 at 00:03:35

I've seen the answer to this question once way back when I first joined and havent been able to find it again since I did the chain conversion a few months ago.

What is the proper tension for the drive chain? Is that reading with you on the bike or no?

The reason I ask. Im using a "new" chain and have put about 1500mi on it and it seems to stretch pretty quickly if I have it set at 1in play with no load. Once it loosens up it actually feels like he bikeis riding better but the chain is scrapping on the top of the swingarm where it connects to the frame. Ive had to adjust it about 1/2 dozen times now. Seems a bit much.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: This one's for the old heads
Reply #1 - 05/09/09 at 01:59:01

Chain is a "You pay for what you get" item. Was it expensive or cheap?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/09/09 at 09:20:17

For the Savage,  good quality O-ring chain is best. Note that as the swing arm moves up and down, the tension on the chain changes. It will be at its' tightest when the arm is horizontal.  Load the bike to that point and adjust for about 3/4 inch flex without having to force it.
Even an O-ring chain should be oiled. The inside is lubed at the factory and pretty much sealed, but the sprockets will wear quickly if you do not oil the chain.
When I first changed to chain, in the first fifteen thousand miles it only needed adjustment 4 times. This is under the added strain of a sidecar.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #3 - 05/09/09 at 11:17:13

Note that chain does not stretch, or if any, the sideplates of each link stretch a minuscule amount.

What's really happening is that the pins and the insides of the rollers are wearing.  As the pins wear and the pitch (distance between links) of the chain lengthens, the sprockets wear due to the unevenly centered contact load on each sprocket tooth.

More:
http://www.msgroup.org/Tip.aspx?Num=223&Set=&SearchTerms=chain%20stretch
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/howto/122_0506_motorcycle_chain_lube/index....

IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #4 - 05/09/09 at 12:32:48

old jap-bike rule of thumb from the days of sohc motors on "fast bikes"... with driver's weight on saddle, 3/4 inch of play mid swingarm on lower run....

IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #5 - 05/09/09 at 12:40:55

with a post title  "for the old heads", I thought there was gonna be a question about bongs or roach clips.  Shocked

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #6 - 05/10/09 at 06:15:22

ALfromN.H.  FSO wrote on 05/09/09 at 12:40:55:
with a post title  "for the old heads", I thought there was gonna be a question about bongs or roach clips.  Shocked

Or even an "Elvis" question.... Shocked

Because I can!
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 05/10/09 at 11:23:35

I did get a cheap chain. I have been very diligent in lubing it though and I got a heavy duty chain both in hopes of extending its life. Hopefully its just "breakin in" and this is the end or near the end of such excessively fast stretching.

IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #8 - 05/10/09 at 11:38:26

check your alignment... chains MUST run perfectly straight, or they wear ultra quick.... use a reasonably long straight edge to check... if you lay the edge on the outer sprocket face, the chain should run straight up the scale... any angularity will accelerate wear... if the alignment is off, shimming sprockets and wheel spacers is the solution... ill bet your alignment is off a skoosh....

edit: you can first try adjusting the wheel with the adjusters to get the run straight.... if that fails, then shimming is the only answer... make sure your sprockets arent bent or warped either..  if i remember correctly, the old spec for checking chain wear was laying it flat on a table, plates to the sides...if you can displace 1 end sideways a total of 1/2 inch, the chain is ready to be replaced.....

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 05/10/09 at 15:51:16

How hard you nail it matters. How small the sprockets are MAY have an impact, I am not sure. As stated, alignment is critical.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:17:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › This one's for the old heads

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.