My first Mod! (Read 101 times)
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

My first Mod!
05/08/09 at 15:05:05

My first modification from stock!
I pulled the seat and tank and opened the top of the carb. Per the instructions that so many of you have provided, I removed the white (or in my case weak tea brown) spacer. My micrometer showed it to be .111 inches in thickness. I used 320 and 600 grit sandpaper to cut it to .056 and reinstalled. At present everything else is stock. I wanted to see just how much difference the one little change would make. I readjusted the idle mixture screw out about 1.5 turns and heard the idle climb. I then turned the idle down with the thumb screw until it started to sputter...and then back up a half turn.
It seems to start with the same ease it did before, but it now idles at what I would guess is 900-1000rpms. It sounds different. It sounds healthier. I'm not changing gears as much because the midrange seems stronger. Why change gears when you can just roll the throttle? I expected a change, but I didn't expect 1.4 millimeters of plastic to make that much difference.
A cautionary note here: it is 103 with a very low humidity at the moment. I don't know how it will run when it is cold yet.
As I said, everything is currently stock. Next is Diamond Jim's long shot exhaust and Oldfeller's nu-foam air cleaner...and down the road a little...Lancer's Cam!

Thanks again for all the help!

Oh, for those thinking of doing this yourselves it is really pretty simple. The one thing I did do to make it easier was a small impact driver from Harbor Freight (4.49). It comes with bits.
JohnBoy

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: My first Mod!
Reply #1 - 05/08/09 at 15:47:05

congratulations!....  
Doing your first mod, is like making a clean spot on a dirty window....
gotta' do the whole thing now...... Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Re: My first Mod!
Reply #2 - 05/08/09 at 21:15:44

Awesome, JB.

It seems each and every mod has one sticking point.  One single thing that requires a certain skill or a specific tool or something or other that makes it somewhat difficult for the masses.  For the longshot, I think it's fabbing the muffler mount for where it mounts to the frame support.  I did the square tubing welded to the pipe whereas SimonTuffGuy did the mounting nuts welded to the pipe mod.  Anyhow, figure out the mounting design and how to get it done and the rest is pretty easy.   A local muffler guy should be able to do both the pipe and the welding if you don't have access to a welder or the required skill.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:26:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › My first Mod!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.