Send Topic Print
paint.. (Read 232 times)
1988savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

paint..
05/05/09 at 10:59:11

i got my 88 savage. but the thing is painted in florida gator colors...yuck. i just want to paint it all black. is it easy to do this myself? even if it looks crappy for the time being i really dont care lol. if i got black spray paint would it do the job? or do i need to try and scrape off the old paint with steel wool or something first? lemme know

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Re: paint..
Reply #1 - 05/05/09 at 11:18:44

I just gotta see a pic of what a Gator bike looks like.  Throw a pic up soon.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 05/05/09 at 11:22:09

diamond jim wrote on 05/05/09 at 11:18:44:
I just gotta see a pic of what a Gator bike looks like.  Throw a pic up soon.  

Yes throw up is right.  Grin
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
SavageDanny

I ate what?

Kansas City, Missouri
Reply #3 - 05/05/09 at 11:32:42

I painted mine flat black with some paint from an auto parts store.

The brand of paint (and primer) was Dupli-Color.

I sanded mine down to bare metal in all the places paint is visible. The underside of each piece I just cleaned up good, removed any paint chips and smoothed out with 220 grit sand paper.

I then primed and painted it. I skipped putting any clear coat on. I regret that especially on the tank. I am going to redo it someday and put a satin finish clear coat on it when I do.

Oh... A pic of the Gator colors please. So we can see the before and after.

Mine Before

Mine After

Flat Black 88

WWW SavageDanny   IP Logged
1988savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/05/09 at 11:43:26

ok.. did u remove the fenders and gas tank or jus paint them while it was on? all i want for the time being is a quick cover up!! lol and if i didnt sand it or anything will the paint still work???

IP Logged
SavageDanny

I ate what?

Kansas City, Missouri
Reply #5 - 05/05/09 at 11:52:37

I removed everything before I painted. I would at least sand everything to get the paint to stick better, maybe.

Everything off the bike before trying paint stripper to get the paint off. It didn't work too well.

Flat Black 88

srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 05/05/09 at 11:56:53

Savage is blessed with all metal everythign.
I would take em all, drain and dry the tank and shake with hot water and get it clean and dry and gas free, and get em all powdercoated in your color choice.
Of course if it got bondo in it, that is out. Bondo will melt and run at the temps they cook it at.
I have done coffee with cream (yes a color not flavor of icecream) yellow, blue (sugar plum he calls it) silver under candy blue on a savage, red, black with and without gold flakes, black with multi color flakes etc etc etc. I am doing 1 savage in silver as I type this. I did a savafe frame in shiny black too.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 05/05/09 at 11:58:47

I got some aircraft paints stripper that took the clear coat off the engine covers lickety split.  Haven't needed to strip a body panel, but would think it would.

WWW   IP Logged
1988savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 05/05/09 at 12:10:51

ok thanks. my bike doesnt have those side peices. where can i get them at?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 05/05/09 at 12:13:18

If the paint is on it good, not peeling, flaking, etc, you dont have to take it down to metal, just scuff it lightly & paint away./
Of course, clean is a given. Any silicone will create fish eyes. WD 40 sprayed in a paint booth creates real trouble.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
SavageDanny

I ate what?

Kansas City, Missouri
Reply #10 - 05/05/09 at 12:22:46

1988savage wrote on 05/05/09 at 12:10:51:
my bike doesnt have those side peices. where can i get them at?

You might try the Marketplace section of this Forum or someplace like Bike Bandit. You can also try e-bay.

Flat Black 88

1988savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 05/05/09 at 13:42:31

ok, what are those peices called? lol

IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #12 - 05/05/09 at 13:44:56

Yep, a spray can of black paint and some masking tape & newspaper for masking will let you get a quick, crappy job.  Wipe it with wax remover or lacquer thinner first to be sure you don't end up with a truly crappy job.

To get a good job, read these and other articles about the preparation for painting
http://www.learnautopainting.com/surface_preparation.htm
http://www.carcraft.com/howto/116_0612_how_to_paint_your_car/preparation.html
Then make friends with a knowledgeable salesperson at a local auto parts store that sells to the body shops.  You'll get the sandpapers, wax remover, primer, paint, anything else, and some good advice there.

IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #13 - 05/05/09 at 14:00:43

assuming the existing paint is in decent shape, pull the tins that need painting... duplicolor is very reasonably priced, and lays on very easily, much better than cheapo store brands, krylon or rustoleum... scrub all the parts with tide, or dawn dishwahing detergent... all dirt grease and oil has to go....  after everything is clean and dry, time to sand.. for flat finishes, 220 is fine... for gloss, 320 is ok, 400 better, 600 better still... you're done sanding when every square inch looks dull, no gloss left at all after wiping with a damp rag, and air drying.. the old paint needs "teeth" for the new to grab hold of... if all the gloss is gone, so is all wax, silicone, etc... done sanding? ok, time to scrub the parts again, only this time, for best results, a non-detergent soap should be used.. ivory liquid kind of thing.... if it says it contains "cationic and nonionic surfactants" it has detergent in it... ok, clean and dry again.... do your masking as needed, then take an airline that has filtered, oilfree air, and blow every square inch off... there's still lots of sanding residue in those teeth in the old paint... after the blow-off, lightly tack- rag everything... if you dont have air, then rub with a clean rag, then a clean rag that's just dampened with laquer thinner(just damp, not wet, be quick, and very gentle, as laquer thinner will strip paint if applied too heavily, too long, or too roughly).... then tack it... if you have air, then the final cleaning step is to thoroughly clean your hands with the non-detergent soap, let them dry, and rub the heel of your palm along everywhere to be paint, while blasting air at the same spot (your palm prints are mildly abrasive, and when clean, the sanding residue sticks to skin very readily)... figure out how to hold, hang, and fixture all the pieces before you begin to spray, so you can get to all the areas that need painting without handling the parts.. one they're hung and fixtured, you dont touch them again.... apply your paint, use light coats, just wet the entire surface, dont try to build up in 1 coat... give a minute or 2 for the paint to tack up between coats... with flat black 2 or 3 coats wil do nicely, colors and gloss may need more.... when it looks good, stop... it's a very fine line between covered, and running paint.... give the tank a couple coats of flat clearcoat too, so you dont end up with the gas smear blues.... 24 hours later, re-assemble... 2 weeks later, you can wax if you like.... of course, candies, metal flakes, and other exotic combos of paint require lots more spraying time....

edit: for the complete painting noobs, the sanding grits i mentioned are the grits you final sand with... always start sanding with coarser grit... 120, 220, 320, 400, 600, 800... once the surface is completely covered in the scratches made by the grit in use, you switch to the next finer grit, until all the coarser scratches are removed, then on to the next, 320 and finer should be wet-sanded... coarser than 120 would be used only on rusted, pitted, scratched up surfaces....

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 05/05/09 at 14:11:31

I sanded down my tank to bare metal and had it painted last october. It took a bit of work but it was rewarding. I scuffed my paint with 120 grit and then sanded down with about 420 and smoothed it out with 220. I had to bondo a big dent though, thats why I sanded to bare metal. My girlfriends father painted the tank.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/05/24 at 13:50:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › paint..

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.