Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Are circlips pressure fitted? (Read 110 times)
DocNeedles

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

British Columbia
Are circlips pressure fitted?
05/04/09 at 20:55:30

I am installing my new Verslavy cam chain tensioner, and I bent the old  cir-clip in taking off the stock cam chain tensioner.  I took the old one into Napa parts store and got 3 that looked the same size but in putting them on I found that the new ones are too loose.  Do I need to use needle nose pliers to pressure fit them or do I have the wrong cir-clips?
DocNeedles

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Re: Are circlips pressure fitted?
Reply #1 - 05/04/09 at 21:24:39

Circlips come in both standard and metric sizes.  The one you need is 8mm I believe.  Do you know if you got an 8mm circlip for sure or ones that look about the same size?

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/04/09 at 21:47:16

C-clips are tempered and not meant to be bent in place.  Considering how important they are and how inexpensive they are to buy, you should always replace them with new.  Also, buy a set of C-clip pliers to remove and install them....its better for the C-clip and so much easier to use.  Remember, you are riding a 2 wheel vehicle and if a used, fatigued  C-clip comes loose, depending on its function and what slides apart, you could lock up the engine or trans and hit the ground.

http://www.bloomertool.com/CircleClipPliers.html

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 05/04/09 at 22:33:06

Yes they're metric size and not meant to be bent in place, but... they're not so hard that you can't.

Also, the adjuster doesn't have much clearance with the cover, so it can't go anywhere.  Would be more worried about where the errant clip went.

So what size did you buy and get the metric size just under it.  I think it will be 8mm.  I can drop one in a envelope if you can't find.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 05/05/09 at 03:23:42

Verslagen,  the spud that the clip goes on to -- threaded?  Or does anybody know?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
DocNeedles

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

British Columbia
Reply #5 - 05/05/09 at 08:23:33

diamond jim wrote on 05/04/09 at 21:24:39:
Circlips come in both standard and metric sizes.  The one you need is 8mm I believe.  Do you know if you got an 8mm circlip for sure or ones that look about the same size?

I don't know what I got.  I took the old one in to see if they could match it and the sales guy brought out one and it looked about right luntil I got back to my island and tried it and it was too big.  I will check with local friends and see if they have the right size.
DocNeedles

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #6 - 05/05/09 at 15:20:12

I think I have one in my spares collection if you want me to send it to you and then you order one and send it to me to replace it. PM me if interested, Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 05/05/09 at 16:58:10

The book says use a new one any time you remove it. Considering the consequences of clip failure at that device, I would use a new one. Oh, and use the proper clip installation tool so as not to over stretch it.

Phelonous

Phelonius
  IP Logged
DocNeedles

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

British Columbia
Reply #8 - 05/05/09 at 18:02:55

Max_Morley wrote on 05/05/09 at 15:20:12:
I think I have one in my spares collection if you want me to send it to you and then you order one and send it to me to replace it. PM me if interested, Max

Thanks, i got a c-clip from someone on the island that fits.  It feels quite snug so i think it will work well.  I will look at getting some spares for the future and hopefully wont need them.
DocNeedles

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/29/24 at 01:38:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Are circlips pressure fitted?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.