Send Topic Print
Hed Cover gasket (Read 65 times)
ThumpinD
YaBB Newbies

Hey!  Off the
Paint!!!

Hed Cover gasket
05/03/09 at 11:17:41

Does anybody know if it would cause any problems, if I ran sealant around the surface nearest to the cam when installing the head cover?
I did it in a hurry last night, and wasn't thinking.  This morning I noticed that it wasn't on any of the diagrams that way.  I don't want to pull the cover very badly, but not as badly as I don't want my bike to die!! Smiley  I got around the perimeter, around all the bolts, then around the perimeter of the cam. Any advise from the wiser is much appreciated!

IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Re: Hed Cover gasket
Reply #1 - 05/03/09 at 11:25:29

the "bath-tub" the cam lobes rotate in will fill with oil, and add resistance to the top end oiling circuit... you dont want reduced pressure to the cam bearings, do you? it will also reduce available oil to the valves, another no-no... id say use the scraper, and re-do it....

IP Logged
ThumpinD
YaBB Newbies

Hey!  Off the
Paint!!!

Re: Head Cover gasket
Reply #2 - 05/03/09 at 11:55:44

Thanks, I was afraid of that.  Thats what working at mach 1 at 12am will do for me.  I knew better, but I was just kind of hoping I could leave it, but 30minutes with a scraper verses buying a new top half! Sounds like an easy decision!

IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #3 - 05/03/09 at 12:05:37

the curse of hurrying...lol  did you replace the decomp shaft seals?  they seem like a good candidate for replacement whenever the head cover comes off.... pretty hot environment they live in.... ill bet they cause alot of the "plug side puddles"....

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 05/03/09 at 12:18:56

marshall13 wrote on 05/03/09 at 11:25:29:
the "bath-tub" the cam lobes rotate in will fill with oil, and add resistance to the top end oiling circuit... you dont want reduced pressure to the cam bearings, do you? it will also reduce available oil to the valves, another no-no... id say use the scraper, and re-do it....

This is the end of the line as far as oil path goes.  Increasing clearance increases the flow of oil.

Even though the lack of sealant will pull down the cover a little tighter.  Unless the clearances are truely out of spec one way or the other, I don't think it will be a benefit to pull it down tighter.

I'd say you're good to go.

search out the JB weld cam journal repair, he did the clearance check and do what he did.

WWW   IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #5 - 05/03/09 at 12:42:51

verslagen1 wrote on 05/03/09 at 12:18:56:
marshall13 wrote on 05/03/09 at 11:25:29:

This is the end of the line as far as oil path goes.  Increasing clearance increases the flow of oil.

Even though the lack of sealant will pull down the cover a little tighter.  Unless the clearances are truely out of spec one way or the other, I don't think it will be a benefit to pull it down tighter.

I'd say you're good to go.

search out the JB weld cam journal repair, he did the clearance check and do what he did.

but the "bathtub" has no drain... the lack of sealant gives the "windage" somewhere to go... the center cam bearing can drain to the right, true, but where is the oil from the left side cam bearing to go? you'll end up with just a "static film" on the left bearing surfaces... not good by any stretch of the imagination.... if sealant belonged there, suzuki would put it there.....

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 13:28:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Hed Cover gasket

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.