Send Topic Print
battery.... (Read 186 times)
1988savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

battery....
05/02/09 at 18:32:47

so, i left my ignition on this morning when i went into the house.. rookie mistake. i plugged my battery into a battery tender and it didnt do anything for the battery. so i jumped it wit a car while it wasnt running and it worked.... so i rode it around for about ten mins. then tried to restart it and there was no juice again. should i plug it up to the car battery again and let it sit like that for a little bit? or what? please HELP lol

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Re: battery....
Reply #1 - 05/02/09 at 18:40:29

Put it on a slow trickle charge over night (about 2 amp or less) after checking water level to be sure you didn't boil a bunch off while jumping it from the car.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
1988savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/02/09 at 19:11:20

ok, so i shouldnt keep it hooked up to a car battery to try and charge it?

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #3 - 05/02/09 at 19:47:43

Not a good idea, no.

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/02/09 at 19:50:49

Yep, Charge it at 2amps overnight. Its the safest way for the battery. And yes check your water level on the battery. It should be between the top two blue lines if you are running the original battery. If it is low,
get a turkey baster and some distilled water to fill it up to level.

IP Logged
1988savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 05/02/09 at 19:50:52

ok, so i should be good by keepin it on the tender all night? the battery was brand new 20 miles ago

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #6 - 05/02/09 at 19:52:43

That would be the way I would go if I didn't have an actual charger. If I am correct, a tender is used mainly to just keep the battery topped off while not in use for a while. Anybody can correct me if I am wrong, for I have never used a battery tender.

IP Logged
1988savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 05/02/09 at 19:54:24

yea i dont have a charger. that is what the tender is supposed to do

IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #8 - 05/02/09 at 19:56:54

The tender I have will very slowly charge the battery at 2 amps and then float after max charge is reached. I'm sure most of them will do the same.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
1988savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 05/02/09 at 19:58:37

ok thanks alot for the help. im sure ill be posting more questions soon lol

IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #10 - 05/03/09 at 07:14:02

Quote:
the battery was brand new 20 miles ago

It is entirely possible that the battery wasn't completely charged when you bought it.

The trickle charger ("Battery Tender" is one good brand) will recharge but very slowly.  Either connect to a 2 amp charger for several hours to get the battery up to full charge, or just give the trickle charger several days.  Sure, you can ride, and the bike's alternator will eventually fully charge the battery, also.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #11 - 05/03/09 at 07:30:33

A completely dead battery sometimes will not accept a charge, at least at first. A "smart" battery charger will sometimes see a very dead battery as defective, and refuse to even try charging it. I have not used a brand-name Battery Tender, so I don't know its logic. Try connecting it, and if it doesn't show the battery as defective, it will eventually do the job.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 05/03/09 at 08:27:10

1988savage wrote on 05/02/09 at 19:58:37:
ok thanks alot for the help. im sure ill be posting more questions soon lol

Charging is the easiest maintenance on the bike lol. At least for me. I have a charger/booster. I set it to 2 amps. For a drained battery it should take over nigh to charge. Goodluck.

IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #13 - 05/03/09 at 11:17:56

these bikes have alternators, not generators... a generator will charge a discharged battery, an alternator will not... you need the battery to provide a minimum of 12 volts, while the bike is running, for the charging circuit to work... so, trickle or tender charge until a volt meter reads at least 13 volts on the batt terminals... that's with the charger turned off(or disconnected).... at that point, you could jump it, and have it charge... much better to fully charge the battery, then go riding.... most of the chain auto parts stores will charge a battery for you, way cheap, as well as most mechanics shops (cages or bikes)... sears, walmart, kmart, and all auto parts stores sell small 10 amp max chargers.... cheap, and most handy... tenders "float charge" and most wont charge a completely discharged battery....

IP Logged
False Illusion

Two digits down as
we're passin'!

Dayton/Southwest Ohio
Reply #14 - 05/03/09 at 11:37:55

odvelasc wrote on 05/02/09 at 19:50:49:
Yep, Charge it at 2amps overnight. Its the safest way for the battery. And yes check your water level on the battery. It should be between the top two blue lines if you are running the original battery. If it is low,
get a turkey baster and some distilled water to fill it up to level.

Another tool useful for this app is a medical "Bulb Syringe".

This works great for transferring the distilled water from its container to each battery cell.

Cheap, too...

And if you have little ones runnin' around the house like I do...there's a very good chance you already have one!

Hopefully the pic comes through...

Black '07 Boulevard S40 w/ OEM Saddlebags, Windshield, Guard, SissyBar,and Rack. Schwinn Bicycle Computer, Highway Pegs by Thumperclone, Time Piece ala the $ store...and a $5 cooler from WalMart Wink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 19:40:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › battery....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.