Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Spring Deal on New 09 S40, need opinions! (Read 361 times)
poor student
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring Deal on New 09 S40, need opinions!
04/30/09 at 01:45:57

Hello everyone. I've had a Rebel last year. I bought it used, but went through a lot of wrenching because the bike had issues with the rusty gas tank and electrical problems. I got sick of it and sold it off.

I've been looking around for a decent bike that would accommodate my small size (I'm about 5'1 and 100lbs). I like the Ninjas old/new, but I get tired from riding around town with one foot on the ground. I recently went to a dealership down the main road from my house and they're having this great deal on a white 2009 S40 for $3899. Of course that isn't the OTD price, but at least the MSRP price went down by $1000.

Should I drop the down payment and take this deal? What other suggestions do you guys have to offer for future owners like me?

IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Re: Spring Deal on New 09 S40, need opinions!
Reply #1 - 04/30/09 at 02:07:14

Personally, I love mine, but then it's my first bike, so I'm kinda biased.  At your size, I would imagine it should be comfy too; at 5'11" and literally twice your mass, I need some highway pegs soon, to let me stretch out a little. Grin
I'd go with it, especially if it's the color scheme I'm thinking of, with the gray on the gas tank too.  And the price is under what I paid for my '08, I'm jealous! Shocked

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #2 - 04/30/09 at 02:17:49

$$ way under what I paid for my '08, and I thought I got a steal. If you can swing it, you won't be sorry. It'd be hard to find a used for less enough to make it attractive, to me anyway. I like to tear up my own toys! Cool

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 04/30/09 at 02:59:09

You have to make the money decision, but as far as the bike is concerned you won't find a better all around machine on the road.  Like any machine, it has a few little quirks but they are easily corrected.  
I have ridden bikes since '66 and have found that bike singles make the best multi-purpose machine on the road.  They are easy to ride, easy and inexpensive to fix, and are just plain fun.

IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #4 - 04/30/09 at 04:08:59

That's a great price, compared to what the retail for them is now...

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #5 - 04/30/09 at 05:06:59

That sounds like a good deal to me.  There are also several 1-2 year old bikes S40s out there with low miles for less but it can be tough for someone to come up with $2500-$2800 whereas buying new gives you payment options.  Mine in an '06 that I bought new last summer.  Mine was advertised for $4300 out the door.  So I guess it was probably around $3800-$3900 before TTL.  As far as fit, I'm 6' and weigh 250.  With just about every bike I've had, I've done something to either the bars, seat, risers and such regardless of how well the bike fit when I first bought it.  Some want a bike that they need to do nothing to and that's fine.  I accepted long ago that I'm eventually going to mod those so it's not a biggie for me.  Doing mods to my seat, risers, bars and the addition of forward controls has made my bike the most favorite riding position of I think about any bike I have had, modded or not.  The bike is great for smaller framed people but has amazing potential to be adaptable to larger people as well.  Plus, I have a lot more fun modding a bike that cost what it does compared to one that costs say $8K or more.  Parts costs less as well.

IP Logged
doc5446

Into the night...

Randolph, Ohio
Reply #6 - 04/30/09 at 07:03:31

I hafta say go for it!!!

K&N air filter, stage 1 jet set, SuperTrapp megaphone exhaust, solo seat w/ clothespin springs, stainless seatpan w/ fenderbib.1971 CB front fender and mirror.
  IP Logged
Mr. Hyde
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Reply #7 - 04/30/09 at 07:48:03

That's a real deal and if you never make the commitment you'll never own the bike. If you decided to move on afterwards you won't be loosing much if any money on a re-sell.

FREE RIDER - Whatever blows your hair back.
  IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #8 - 04/30/09 at 07:55:53

That seems like a good deal. They are listing for around 5k cdn up here. I'm 5' 4" and the bike fits me well. Have had my 08 for a year and no regrets whatsoever.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 04/30/09 at 08:45:48

Just do it, come on do it. Do it, just do it, come on do it. Jussssttttt dooooo iiiiiiiiit!!

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #10 - 04/30/09 at 09:02:42

Yup ... agreed ... DO IT!!!! At that price for a new '09, it's a STEAL!! Cool

New '09 S40's are retailing for $6800 CDN over here in Nfld.  Sad

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
vhfkid

Thumpin' in ETEX

East Texas
Reply #11 - 04/30/09 at 15:29:59

That's a steal! Just saw a black one for MSRP last weekend at the stealership, they were no where near 1000 off!!!

Take it and run... er ride  Grin

IP Logged
poor student
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 04/30/09 at 22:51:22

Hey guys. So OTD price, it's about $900 for freight and dealership blah blah. $200 for regist, $600 for tax. So with everything, it's about $6,000 OTD.

The only down side is that I don't have a co-signer. I'm still young, I have good credit, but my credit is limited as I've only had one credit card over the past two years.

Hm..what to do?

IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #13 - 05/01/09 at 04:24:29

Tell them to waive the delivery/dealership costs and you'd be more interested...

Those are some crazy charges! PA registration is $36. Our sales tax (@ 6%) was only $240, and that was for $4,000 (which is what I paid for my leftover 07 in 2008).

Certainly not worth $6,000 out the door. (To give you an idea... My $4,000 bike cost me $4,700 after taxes, title and tags, and the delivery cost - There's no way it should be 3x that amount)

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
ero4444

weekender

Reply #14 - 05/01/09 at 10:05:01

well now I think your decision is clear.  If you really are a poor student then you should get a used bike with as low miles as you can get, not too hard to find.

c2001, 3800miles, 3rd owner, adjusted idle, raised seat, Tkat brace, Raptor petcock, cleaned carb, replaced some jets, Dyna muffler, Fiamm horns, Shinkos, future Ed L. forward controls, fork boots.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 15:18:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Spring Deal on New 09 S40, need opinions!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.