Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Spring Deal on New 09 S40, need opinions! (Read 361 times)
poor student
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Spring Deal on New 09 S40, need opinions!
Reply #15 - 05/01/09 at 18:22:21

SimonTuffGuy wrote on 05/01/09 at 04:24:29:
Tell them to waive the delivery/dealership costs and you'd be more interested...

Those are some crazy charges! PA registration is $36. Our sales tax (@ 6%) was only $240, and that was for $4,000 (which is what I paid for my leftover 07 in 2008).

Certainly not worth $6,000 out the door. (To give you an idea... My $4,000 bike cost me $4,700 after taxes, title and tags, and the delivery cost - There's no way it should be 3x that amount)

Well that's because you live in PA where living expense is much cheaper. I live in California. Our state is going through a crappy time and we had a tax raise on everything so it's 8.75% and some parts in my city is doing 9.75%. So just tax itself was a little over $550. I'm lucky that I don't live in LA where certain areas have raised to 10% tax on everything. Registration and all sorts went up as well.

IP Logged
Staplebox

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

CT
Reply #16 - 05/01/09 at 18:43:45

You should be able to find a used Savage for under 2k.  In Cali you get plenty of ride time and get your moneys worth, I'm lucky to get 6 months here in CT.    If you like a sportier style the Buell Blast is a small cheap decent bike.  Supposed to get 70mpg.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #17 - 05/01/09 at 19:06:04

Go for a used one.

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/mcy/1147811112.html

Get a '95 or later.  If you don't want to work on it, something less than 10k miles will be ok for a while.

BTW what city?

WWW   IP Logged
poor student
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 05/01/09 at 19:39:00

Quote:
You should be able to find a used Savage for under 2k.  In Cali you get plenty of ride time and get your moneys worth, I'm lucky to get 6 months here in CT.    If you like a sportier style the Buell Blast is a small cheap decent bike.  Supposed to get 70mpg.

Yeah, I'm lucky to live in San Diego where it's warm all season, but sometimes the weather can be very unpredictable from month to month. I did check out the Buell Blast and have researched on it, but unfortunately that bike is a HD. The Blast is a hit or miss bike as you can get one that is unreliable with all sorts of problems or get one that has none. So I find it not a good choice.

I live in San Diego and I've checked craigslist. There's just two listings of the savage and not much to offer. These bikes aren't very common in my city.

That's why I picked to get a new one and luckily landed a nice deal at the dealership. But I fell short trying to finding a co-signer and I'm trying to figure out who can co-sign with me.

Quote:
well now I think your decision is clear.  If you really are a poor student then you should get a used bike with as low miles as you can get, not too hard to find.

I work hard just like everyone else here. I'm a student so I don't make a six figure salary, but I learn to save up my money. I did have a used bike and I end up spending way too many days fixing the bike between my busy schedule of working two jobs and going to school. I didn't enjoy it because I wasn't riding it.

IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #19 - 05/01/09 at 23:01:39

Craig's List isn't your only source for used bikes. Try Cycle Trader. I did a quick search for a "Savage" and found 3 within 150 miles of San Diego, all under $3000. A search under "S40" revealed nothing but new. I know Ontario is a drive, but for the right bike at the price you need, it's small price to pay. I'd considered going to OK City from my home in Fort Worth, when I stumbled on my deal in my own backyard.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #20 - 05/02/09 at 06:32:49

Quote:
I've checked craigslist. There's just two listings of the savage and not much to offer.

Check daily, or even twice daily.  Have the money ready and make the phone call for an as-soon-as-possible test drive when the listing appears.  If the right motorcycle at the right price is listed, you want to make the first call and get it if it is what you want.  You never know when someone needs the money and lists a great Savage or something else at a great price.  In this area "Cycle Trader" is mainly dealership listings, and that might be OK if a dealership needs to unload some inventory today.  As you've found, credit is unavailable except for the highest scoring borrowers and cash is king.  Good luck in your search.

IP Logged
merhlin
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Eastern Maine
Reply #21 - 05/02/09 at 06:54:06

Hi, this is my first time posting but there are a few available on CL in the Seattle-Tacoma area.

merhlin

IP Logged
merhlin
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Eastern Maine
Reply #22 - 05/02/09 at 06:55:01

No pic on this one but the price is right....
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/1141849740.html

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #23 - 05/02/09 at 07:08:39

When searching for bikes I use 3 titles; Suzuki Savage, Suzuki S40 & Suzuki LS650.  I do that on ebay, craigslist, or where ever, and it helps to find all of those available regardless of how the owner/seller listed it.  
Also, when searching craigslist, I go to every city listed within 200 miles of of  area I want.  It seems that folks often will list the item ina town that may not be the closest to them ( why ?  I have no idea but they do), and I also cover serveral cities.  I live dead center in SC and have every city in the state that is on craigslist, as well as the closer cities in NC anc GA.  I am going to add TN as well.  This gives me about a 200 mi radius from which to choose.

IP Logged
merhlin
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Eastern Maine
Reply #24 - 05/02/09 at 07:23:14

Lancer, on a given day, about how many do you see on CL in your 200 mile radius? Just curious -  there are usually 2 -3 listed here in the Seattle-Tacoma area on a regular basis, mostly in the $2500-3500 range. I paid $2400 for my 2001 2 years ago at a dealer w/8000 miles on it. i was looking for a bike but had never even heard of the Savage until one caught my eye as I was headed to one of the local gun ranges, so i stopped to check it out. It was a Saturday and I couldn't get back to buy it until Monday after work - I was sweating bullets hoping no one else had picked it up in the meantime!!

merhlin

IP Logged
stratman

Klaatu,
Verata....Necktie

Concord, Ca.
Reply #25 - 05/02/09 at 14:34:23

Hi Poor Student.  I bought a 2005 s40 with 3000 miles on it for $2800 last August.  It's my first bike and I love it.  I'm toying with the idea of getting another Suzuki... M50,90 or 109 but I haven't ridden any of them yet.  I can tell you that I haven't had this much fun since I rode my mini bike when I was 12.  I agree if you buy one you won't be sorry.  I think there's a reason they keep making this bike after 40? years. Good Luck

'There's no money above the 7th fret'...Tommy Tedesco
  IP Logged
poor student
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 05/02/09 at 20:56:57

Thank you everyone for all your suggestions!

I'm going with my mom tomorrow to see if her credit qualifies to co-sign with me. It's definitely a big step as I'll be working hard this summer to pay this motorcycle off.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #27 - 05/02/09 at 21:35:42

Good luck Poor Student, we're all rooting for ya.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Wolf

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 05/03/09 at 15:06:09

Look in the Marketplace, several Savages on sale there...  1 for $2500 w/2400 miles... others for sale also.  Craigslist (local/nationwide search) and Ebay also.  Don't forget the dealerships and pawnshops.  Deals can be had with CASH in hand.

Wolf  Cheesy

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 19:35:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Spring Deal on New 09 S40, need opinions!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.