Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I love the newbie mistakes lol (Read 185 times)
odvelasc
Ex Member

I love the newbie mistakes lol
04/29/09 at 13:47:35

So, I stopped for 10 minutes to pick up something from work. I come back to the beast and I left the raptor petock in the ON position. Had to throttle to get her started lol. THen she died on idle around the block when at a stop. I had black smoke blowing the whole 8km home. On idle for sure, I dont know if at speed lol.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: I love the newbie mistakes lol
Reply #1 - 04/29/09 at 14:31:39

On position shouldn't do that.... Maybe a stuck float.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/29/09 at 14:36:50

Nah, she is likely still running rich. May have to go and turn the dial a jet to the leanest position. THe idle might be a bit rich too. IT was serviced yesterday, and it  took the guy 5 hours to get er runing and idling. He had to shoot up to a 38.5 pilot to get a half decent idle. Apparently the idle is till a bit lean according to him. But at least she now runs and now I can fiddle. with her a bit.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 04/29/09 at 14:58:17

5 hours shop rates? I hope they were nice about it.. But, youve struggled & met with much resistance from your bike, so, as long as you are running & riding & smiling, Then its all good, huhh?
& turning the petcock off is just to ensure that the bike doesnt get flooded if the float sticks or the needle/seat area has a problem. If everything is okay, leaving the gas turned on doesnt create a problem,.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/29/09 at 15:38:00

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/29/09 at 14:58:17:
5 hours shop rates? I hope they were nice about it.. But, youve struggled & met with much resistance from your bike, so, as long as you are running & riding & smiling, Then its all good, huhh?
& turning the petcock off is just to ensure that the bike doesnt get flooded if the float sticks or the needle/seat area has a problem. If everything is okay, leaving the gas turned on doesnt create a problem,.

Yeah they were pretty nice about it. How would I fix a sticky float valve?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 04/29/09 at 15:55:17

Sometimes just a bump on the carb with a screwdriver handle will Unstick it & it may never hang again. If the problem is the needle/seat that the float opens & closes, then either thers a piece of crud in it or the needle has a groove in it & isnt closing off well enough, then ya need a needle. Ive heard of floats leaking & sinking, but not on this bike. If the float level is too high, then it cant shut the fuel off completely. That would create a rich sitch fo sho.
You can check fuel level in the bowl by putting a piece of tubing on the bowl drain & open the valve down there.Hold the tube up beside the bowl & However high the gas comes up in that tube is how high it is inside. Its supposed to be right at the upper edge of the bowl, IIRC. I would ask or RTFM before I used MY memory here.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 04/29/09 at 18:28:29

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/29/09 at 15:55:17:
Sometimes just a bump on the carb with a screwdriver handle will Unstick it & it may never hang again. If the problem is the needle/seat that the float opens & closes, then either thers a piece of crud in it or the needle has a groove in it & isnt closing off well enough, then ya need a needle. Ive heard of floats leaking & sinking, but not on this bike. If the float level is too high, then it cant shut the fuel off completely. That would create a rich sitch fo sho.
You can check fuel level in the bowl by putting a piece of tubing on the bowl drain & open the valve down there.Hold the tube up beside the bowl & However high the gas comes up in that tube is how high it is inside. Its supposed to be right at the upper edge of the bowl, IIRC. I would ask or RTFM before I used MY memory here.

I am running a VM carb with a UFO and dial a jet. I had the emulsion chamber and the needed on the throttle valve changed. THey were not suited for the set up and the bike was flooding on throttle. The pilot was to lean and thus the bike was not idling. It went from a bled out 15 pilot up to a 38.5 and John the Cycle Master suggested possibly going up to a 40 pilot jet. He got the bike running which I could not do. He has basically given a baseline to work with now. If something was sticking he would definitely would have noticed and rectified the matter. As for the apparent lean idle.  The carb boot I am running on the 38mm VM is off the stock carb and not making full contact on the airbox. It just barely fits, so I am gonna order a carb boot for the carb and reinstall the DAJ. If not I am gonna get a cone filter and remove the air box altogether (when I feel better Smiley ). As for black smoke, perhaps lower the pilot when I get the air filter. We will see. Its running and I am happy. Its powerful and can get more powerful. I am gonna call John in the morning and hopefully figrure this out.  But she runs soo much better than not running lol, and the power right now is such a tease. I love it. She is a new bike Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 04/30/09 at 00:45:37

I read that you had a new carb. I KNEW you had a new carb & then, I went on to describe the guts of the stocker,, well, DUHH!..

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 04/30/09 at 05:47:59

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/30/09 at 00:45:37:
I read that you had a new carb. I KNEW you had a new carb & then, I went on to describe the guts of the stocker,, well, DUHH!..

lol. Well I love leaving the petcock in the ON position. Duh!!! lol

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 04/30/09 at 13:26:39

Maybe a note with clear tape over it stuck on the speedo, just "GAS!" would be a reminder?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 19:40:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I love the newbie mistakes lol

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.