Stock 98', best mods? (Read 241 times)
LazyLemming
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Stock 98', best mods?
04/22/09 at 11:59:26

Hi Folks

Just got my first Suzuki Savage after years of not riding anything. Was looking for something more like a Shadow 750, but when money issues came up gave up on getting a bike for now.  Then, a stroke of luck, I saw a great deal on a 98' Savage and thought I'd pick it up til I could save for something bigger.  Now however, I've fallen in love with this bike and am planning to hold onto it.

First thing I plan to do is adjust the spacer and such to reduce the backfiring.

After that however, I would like to eventually be able to use it to travel halfway across the country back home.  The bike however seems to strain over 65mph, which is fine for short runs just outta town, but if possible I'd like to get that up to 70-75mph.  

From what I'm reading, the best mods for this would be changing the exhaust and rejetting the carb. Am I correct in this or would there be something better I can do?  Or am I just getting my hopes up and should just plan for a bigger bike eventually?  Any particular exhaust you folks would recommend, with power being more important than sound?

I'm not particularly skilled at mechanics, I can do my own maintanence and follow a diagram, but that's about where my automotive skills end.  I do make for a quick learner though.

Thanks folks!

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: Stock 98', best mods?
Reply #1 - 04/22/09 at 12:21:26

Should not strain till ~90+
Basics, Make sure air filter, carbs, and exhaust is getting good flow.
Past that, spark and the right advance though by 65 its advanced to all it can be ... and make sure you'e not dragging stuff ... front and rear brakes as good wheel bearings.

When modding for performance (and I am not saying you should ... on a long drive it could be counter productive and like ... blow up), on a 4 stroke, head is the most important, after which its carbs, pipe etc ... so I'd start with pipe, then carbs, then do cams and after that mayke port and polish and larger valves then maybe go for a overbore ...
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
ineclipse

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 04/22/09 at 21:36:20

between 60-70 in stock configuration the savage rattles like no ones business. Try pulling back more on the throttle. See if that strain is just your brain telling you to take it easy due to engine sound and general vibration. The vibration lessens once you pass 70. One thing you may want to do for long trips is convert to chain drive. You can lower rpms for more comfortable cruising, slightly increased top end and slightly increased mileage or the exact opposit for around town drag racing. If you have ever gotten a flat on a tube tire bike you know its a PITA. Its was a little pricey and a bit of fiddling but I went with tubeless wheels from a gs450 as has at least one other person here though he is no longer a member here. I posted all my measurements etc to make the mod a bit easier. You'll have to get custom rear axle spacers made and possibly front aswell and have the gs450 rotor turned down. Search for "whale" as the thread title. Anyway, those two things that Ive done alone make me feel much more comfortable on the freeways for long distances. Get a flat? Plug it and go. With the chain and 16/41t sprocket setup I'm easily hitting 80mph and still dont reach the annoying "rattle speed" that generally would occur at 60-70. Plus with a chain if your a long way from home and teh chain breaks carry an extra master link, clip it back together and go. If (though less likely) something goes wrong with your belt you're calling a tow truck. You'll want to do something with your seat with out a doubt. Long trips on a totally stock seat are near impossible. Forward controsl or highway pegs for more leg stretch on long trips. Windshield.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 04/22/09 at 22:20:57

So tell us about yourself LL. how many miles on the bike, where are you?  where's home?  How long since you've riden?  on what?

As for how far will this bike go?  no one's reached there yet.  Oh sure some gone to the great salvage yard in the sky.  and some have taken 2 bikes to keep one running.  But I've got 42K on mine and half of that was doing 70 to 80, 50 miles a day.  Some do that one way.

start by getting a set of jets from lancer, look it up in the marketplace.

and reducing the backfire can be as simple as turn out your pilot jet.  Check your exhaust for leaks too.

WWW   IP Logged
LazyLemming
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 04/22/09 at 22:36:51

I picked mine up right at 8k miles on it.  Garaged most of her life.  I'm finishing the initial tune up tomorow (Plugs, filters, etc) tomorow, will give her another test run down the highway and open her up, maybe it is just the rattle.  I haven't had the guts to get her over 70 yet.  

I admit I am a bit paranoid, I snapped a piston rod in my last bike, a 72 silverwing, still a good bit under red line and only 14k miles.  3 mechanics insisted that it should have been bullet proof.  That was about, 5 years ago haven't ridden since.  Before that, my first bike was a 72 yamaha enduro 175.  That bike was a BLAST.  But those were my teenage years, where I learned 175cc's doesn't equal go fast... lol. Warped the head in that one.  24 now, and expressway speed limits are go fast enough for me.  But yeah, that's why I'm a bit paranoid about it... I've had bad luck so far.

I'm cruising here in Yuma AZ, my new home for the past 4 years, and prolly the next bunch.  Originally I hail from Michigan, though the cross country trip is to visit my dad in Missouri.

So my first scheduled plan, after maintanence/basic tune up, is to just reduce the backfiring.  Was kinda funny at first, but now it's just getting annoying.  

After that, I'm thinking to rejet the carb and replace the pipes at the same time, figure I might as well do em together.   Any particular pipes yall recommend?

As for the seat, I actually find it comfortable for the most part, just that rises too sharply near the rear, pushing me forward a bit and putting too much weight on the tailbone.  I figure that won't really be too bad to solve.  

Changing to a chain drive, and re-boring the engine are going a little bit far for what I want to do at current, though I'll definately look into the chain for future work.

Thanks for the advice guys, I was pretty surprised and glad to find such a community.  I've been browsing all over the forums, and found lots of great reads, and more info on customizations than I knew were possible when I bought her.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 04/22/09 at 23:47:33

welcome and check out the map, see if any are about you.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 04/23/09 at 05:32:10

The single best mod, IMO, is the fork brace. Because it requires no skill & improves handling.Of course, you want to get it breathing better & get the mixture right. If I hadnt dropped the $$$ on a K&N before Old Feller went to work on the air filter I would have $50.00 in my pocket & a better filter in the bike. A slightly taller rear tire helps the top end a tad.
If these things get it where you like it, then great. If they get it close & you just want a bit more, lay hands on one of Lancers cams & when its time for a cam chain, swap it out.
Short of ditching the belt & putting a chain on, thats about it for simple performance mods, except for porting & polishing.
As for setting it up to suit you, bags & such, highway bars, lights etc, well, skies the limit.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #7 - 04/23/09 at 09:01:06

I've been looking for info on the fork brace and can't find the thread.  Anybody know anything that maybe I don't?

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #8 - 04/23/09 at 09:05:28

Try this thread:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1232324883/0

It was not exactly what I was looking for, but it wil work.  I got the tkats and relly like them.  Went on in about five minutes.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
PhilM

England (Twyford)
Reply #9 - 04/23/09 at 09:36:13

Sounds like you should do the seat-lift mod if you feel yourself sliding forward. It only costs a few dollars and it's an easy half hour's work. You basically lift the front of the seat up by however much you need (2-3" typically). Details in the Tech section - you only need to buy a couple of longer replacement bolts, and a couple of rubber stoppers of whatever size you need.

IP Logged
sakara
2005 No Login

Thumpalicious

Lockport, NY
Reply #10 - 04/23/09 at 11:56:02

A windshield for longer trips (even a little one, like a wind/fly screen) helps relieve strain from pulling against the wind for hours. My neck and back have thanked me once I switched to a shield a few years ago. Seat lift mod an inch or so does wonders.

Alliance Member

'86 Thumper bobber rat project.
sakara   IP Logged
NewThumperGuy

Lets Ride!!!!

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #11 - 04/23/09 at 12:33:58

prechermike, thanks for the link. Missed the thread and now very interested. Thanks again.

97 LS650 T
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #12 - 04/23/09 at 13:11:09

Yes, thanks, preacher Mike.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #13 - 04/23/09 at 14:15:48

Glad I could help.  Dearch for fork brace and there are a couple others, I just don't have time to check through them all now.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
LazyLemming
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 04/23/09 at 22:04:57

So, after an oil and sparkplug change (Still waiting for my air filter), I took her back out on the expressway today, for about a 50 mile round trip.  I guess it's not all as bad as I thought, but I would still like to bring those RPMs down a bit... I do need to adjust my priorities a bit... my tushy hurts after that.

So after having spent the entire day at work (Don't tell the boss) browsing the forums, and a few other sites, and shopping around, I think I have a plan.

Phase one (in progress): General Maintanence, Seat Lift, Spacer and fuel mix adjustments.

Phase two (Next couple weeks):  Replace stock exhaust with sportster exhaust.  Rejet as needed.  Install Fork Brace.

Phase 3: (month or two) Convert to chain drive (Looks easier than I'd expected, probably going to be famous last words there.)  Install Windshield and backrest.

Phase 4: (not sure when cuz it's expensive.)  Install performance carb and Cam.

I think by phase 3, she should be good for the trip.  Now, everyone cross your fingers, throw any advice you have, and pray I don't wind up begging you guys to help me fix what I broke...  

And thank you guys so much, this whole website is such a great resource.  You and the bike have got me excited about being my own grease monkey again.  It's been a long time since I've even done basic stuff, just because the newer model S10's are such a pain... seriously I have to pull off the compressor to change a sparkplug, screw that crap.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 14:30:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Stock 98', best mods?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.