Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New Battery Question (Read 78 times)
flcruzr
Ex Member

New Battery Question
06/20/09 at 06:01:46

I just put a new battery in and nothing happens.  No lights, nothing, dead.  Am I supposed to charge the new battery first?  The instructions says to charge, shouldnt they come charged?

IP Logged
Mr. Hyde
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Re: New Battery Question
Reply #1 - 06/20/09 at 06:07:56

It should have come charged but I guess it would depend how long it sat on the shelf. Where did you buy it? Also I bought a brand new battery from a high profile bike dealer and it ended up having a dead cell. They tested it but not under load. Finally they replaced it with another with the same problem. The 3rd battery worked.

FREE RIDER - Whatever blows your hair back.
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #2 - 06/20/09 at 07:07:54

flcruzr wrote on 06/20/09 at 06:01:46:
I just put a new battery in and nothing happens.  No lights, nothing, dead.  Am I supposed to charge the new battery first?  The instructions says to charge, shouldnt they come charged?

Trickle charge all new batteries overnight, or until the light says it's ready. That's your problem. It needs to be charged. If you don't own a trickle charger, buy one or ask the place you bought it from to charge it for you. I happen to find one on sale for around $15.

FSO
  IP Logged
Seth C.

Tucson, AZ
Reply #3 - 06/20/09 at 07:57:16

Yea I've gotten ALOT of "NEW" batteries that don't work. You need to trickle charge the hell out of them before you use it. Unless your in a heavily biker populated area, most batteries sit on the shelf for quite some time.

2001 Suzuki Savage LS650
WWW   IP Logged
flcruzr
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/20/09 at 11:08:15

Thanks guys! I took the battery to advance auto and they noticed the battery did not have acid.  So I bought the acid and once I fill it I need to charge it.  Now I need a battery charger, go figure!

IP Logged
kel30734

Dragon Rider

Calhoun, GA
Reply #5 - 06/20/09 at 12:46:24

Who ever sold you the battery should have either added the acid or it should have come in the box for you to put in.

then you need to charge it for 24 hours or so.

Kel

WWW kel30755   IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/20/09 at 14:39:13

I bought a battery for my Savage through the mail and was told upfront that it does not come with acid due to the hazardous materials shipping requirements and expense.  I took it to a battery dealer and he filled it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 14:30:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New Battery Question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.