photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Smelling raw fuel
04/19/09 at 05:09:17

When I uncovered the bike yesterday before my ride, the smell of raw fuel hit me. I broke out the spotlight and checked every nook and cranny and didn't see a drop anywhere. Actually, the tank was near empty from the previous days ride, so I stopped to fill up.

After riding to the reservoir about 10 miles away, I stopped to enjoy the scenery and smelled it again. When I got home I opened the oil fill screw and stuck my pinky in there and soaked it with oil. Oil seemed fine and didn't smell like fuel at all, but when checking the oil about 15 minutes later, I did notice that the oil window showed the oil was just above the high mark.

I checked the oil the day before and it was just below the high mark, but I checked it after firing it up and letting it run for 5 minutes before I went riding. I checked it yesterday after a 2 hour ride and 15 minute sit time.

I'm a bit concerned that fuel may be making it's way into the oil.
When I get home from work today I'm going to:
1) check the air filter for fuel smell.
2) check the carb vacuum hose for traces of fuel.
3) Before my next ride I'm going to buy a couple more quarts of oil and change the oil/filter. I did my last oil change about 1000 miles ago, but the cost will be worth it. Better safe than sorry.

Any other comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

The bike is running fantastic right now and I want to keep it that way.

FSO
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: Smelling raw fuel
Reply #1 - 04/19/09 at 07:16:29

Could be the tempeture change 50 deg one day, 75 the next... tank venting?

Always could convert to manual petcock...  I did...  actually very easy to do.

« Last Edit: 04/19/09 at 10:51:58 by T Mack 1 - FSO »  

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 04/19/09 at 08:36:15

& drain the gunk hose

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #3 - 04/25/09 at 08:47:48

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 04/19/09 at 07:16:29:
Always could convert to manual petcock...  I did...  actually very easy to do.

Would you care to elaborate TM. How about a "how to" in the tech section? I remember the manual petcocks on my old Sportsters. Very easy to get used to.

Pulled my air filter, smelled of gas. Vac line is dry. I'm Gonna clean the carb bowl today.

FSO
  IP Logged
matt_savage

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - 04/25/09 at 08:59:55

I just did the manual petcock.  You need the petcock from a 2003 Yamaha Raptor 660.  Got mine from Ron Ayers for $2x.00 and works great.  

-Take off both gas lines from stock petcock (vac line and reg. line) and take off gas tank and drain gas out (inspect inside for signs of gunk, gook, shellac or rust)  If you find any of these, fix it immediately or it will haunt you forever!
-Remove stock petcock from under tank via 2 screws.  Keep the screws.
-Install the raptor petcock and make sure it's in the OFF position
-Install a vac line plug (got mine at Advace for $2 for a 5 pack-think I got the 5.5 mm ones)
-Reinstall tank on bike and hook up front gas line to raptor petcock (not the line you removed with the spring on it, thats the vac line you need to remove completely)
-Put gas back in the tank
-Turn petcock to ON position and let it sit for 10-15 seconds for float bowl to fill up
-Crank her up!

p.s. This mod was very easy and cures the dreaded leaky vac line a lot of people seem to be having.

p.p.s  You CANNOT forget to turn the new raptor petcock OFF after you shut your engine off and ON before you start the motor.  

HTH anyone wanting to do this mod...

-Matt

IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #5 - 04/25/09 at 09:06:35

Thanks for the info Matt!
And yes, one thing I do remember with the old Sporty's is waking up in the morning and noticing that I forgot to turn the petcock off. Happened more times than I care to remember.

FSO
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #6 - 04/25/09 at 20:19:45

When this happened to me, the smell of raw gas came from a small leak in the tank, had to kream the darn thing.

IP Logged
Savage Eddie

Custom Bob's ROCK!

40 miles west of Chicago
Reply #7 - 04/25/09 at 23:42:25

easy petcock test....remove the fuel line off the carb and see if it dribbles fuel. seems to be a common problem

IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #8 - 04/26/09 at 23:49:49

I occasionlly smell a little raw fuel. I think the post about temp changes and tank venting is spot on. I've got no leak, no fuel in the oil, no drop in mileage, no obvious trail of gas.  Just the odor. What I do have are some pretty big swings in temp. Not only from ambient temps day to day; but from outside to inside my garage on any given day.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #9 - 04/27/09 at 05:53:24

The California version adds a charcoal cannister, through which the tank is vented. The charcoal is supposed to adsorb the evaporated fuel, thus keeping it out of the atmosphere. That also eliminates the smell. When the engine runs, engine vacuum pulls the adsorbed gasoline back out of the charcoal and burns it.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 19:30:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Smelling raw fuel

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.