I would suggest tethering it.

WWW   IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Re: GPS?
Reply #16 - 04/20/09 at 14:35:29

uUst got the Ram mount RAM-B-149 and the attachment to hold a Garmin Nuvi 260. Just attached it and it seems quite stable. Drove for 3 city miles and no issues. The mount is a ubolt on the handle bar. I put right next to my cycle computer on the lft side. Will do a couple of pics when I get a chance. If any issue arise, I'll post asap.

Will finally be able to know where I'm going Grin

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #17 - 04/21/09 at 18:16:51

A quick update. Used the Ram mount with the Gps on the freeway and in town. It's rock solid. Also the mount puts the Gps up high behind the windshield allowing for easy reading w/o taking your eyes off the road. In short works well and glad I got it.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
  IP Logged
sockmonkeygirl
Serious Thumper

37 Stitches

W.Mass
Reply #18 - 04/22/09 at 14:14:01

I bought a small Cortech magnetic tank bag with the map pocket to put my GPS in.  Mine isn't huge, and it fits ok, I guess, but not ideal.

IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #19 - 04/22/09 at 14:17:20

That's what I had in mind sockmonkey, but not as big.  I have a friend with a tank bag I might see if I can borrow it and try it on for size.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
sockmonkeygirl
Serious Thumper

37 Stitches

W.Mass
Reply #20 - 04/22/09 at 14:24:30

This one also fits well on my rear fender.  (I sold the one in the pic and bought the magnetic one version.)

IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #21 - 04/22/09 at 15:16:22

And the tank bag will keep the GPS dry when it rains. I'll have to pocket mine if I'm caught in a rain storm.

'09 C50SE, '09 C90
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #22 - 04/25/09 at 08:07:14

OK, My resourefulness has been working hard on this one.  What do I have that I can use to hold the GPS, I was really thinking tank bag type appliction.

So I found one of the zipper pencil bags, like you put in a three ring binder (97 cent at Wal-Mart).  Son says, "Daddy I have one of those you can have."  Even better.  I read the traffic signal thread about the earth magnets in a computer.  I took an old computer apart a couple of weeks ago, son and I took out about 95% of the screws, jsut to see what was in there.  We found a couple of good magnets in the hard drive.  OK, I should be able to do something with this.

I also read earlier maybe the magnets would affect the GPS picking up the radio signals from the satelittes.  Only one way to find out.

I folded the pencil bag in half, put one magnet on either side of the GPS and slapped it on the tank and off I go.  

I had a bout a 30 mile run to make, with a couple of turns.  I knew where I was going, so this seemed like a good test. And here is what I found out.

I could see no problem with the magnets and the GPS, everything was right on, turn by turn.  It was a little hard to see the thing there on the tank.  It would be better up on the handlebars, but I could look down every so often to check.  All I had to do was remember about how far it was to the next turn.  It was hard to see in the direct sunlight, when I was shading it with my body, it was alot more visible.  I could not hear the instructions at highway speed, even with the volume turned all the way up.  The speak is on the back (bottom) side and there were two layers of bag under it, in addition to the normal noise.  I did not use the power cord, but I guess I could have and just not zipped the bag tight.  I do not think rain would be an issue here, I have a windshield to protect me and the GPS is in a bag.

I did find this on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/MOTORCYCLE-BIKE-HANDLEBAR-MOUNT-HOLDER-GARMIN-NUVI-GPS_W0...
and am considering ordering one of them.

Anyone have any feedback?

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #23 - 04/25/09 at 16:35:49

It works, and you can't complain about the price. I like it

'09 C50SE, '09 C90
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #24 - 04/25/09 at 19:15:23

sockmonkeygirl wrote on 04/22/09 at 14:14:01:
I bought a small Cortech magnetic tank bag with the map pocket to put my GPS in.  Mine isn't huge, and it fits ok, I guess, but not ideal.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y208/skinandink/DSC01160.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y208/skinandink/DSC01162.jpg

Sorry to threadjack for a second, but wanted to get this in while its fresh on my brain: I like that highway peg bracket Sockmonkeygirl.  I've been toying with making my own, and something like that looks fairly simple.  Who makes it?  If it's cheap enough I may just save myself the trouble and buy one.

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
bdearlove
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 04/26/09 at 06:02:58

One thing with the RAM-Mount is it is metal to metal contact to your bars, so after time of vibration, etc it will scratch where it is mounted. Just a warning...

One way to avoid a 12v socket is (if you haven't purchased a GPS yet) to buy a Garmin Nuvi 500/550. They are sunlight readable and have a 8 hour battery life (usually less, but still good) which should last you most rides.

IP Logged
sockmonkeygirl
Serious Thumper

37 Stitches

W.Mass
Reply #26 - 04/26/09 at 19:18:14

The pegs were on the bike when I bought it.  I have looked, but can't find any manufacturer id.  Sorry.  I've got no clue who made them.

IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #27 - 04/26/09 at 22:30:43

sockmonkeygirl wrote on 04/26/09 at 19:18:14:
The pegs were on the bike when I bought it.  I have looked, but can't find any manufacturer id.  Sorry.  I've got no clue who made them.

Ah well, thanks anyway! Wink  I'll just have to play around when the time comes, and see what I can come up with.  Have to start checking the scrap iron bin at work. Grin

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 01:26:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › GPS?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.