Send Topic Print
GPS? (Read 356 times)
S40Geezer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

GPS?
04/16/09 at 16:58:34

I own a couple of TomTom One GPS units, and I'd like to use one on my S40;  albeit with the last possible cosmetic impact on the bike.

The first thing I need is a 12 volt "cigarette lighter" receptacle on or near the bars.   Any recommendations  for something that will mount to the handlebars or to my mini-Switchblade Deflector windsheild?

Additionally, am I a total moron for thinking I could simply use the TomTom's suction cup mount to affix it to the Switchblade without it falling off mid-ride?

Any other better suggestions as to either attaching the GPS or cleanly installing the 12v socket?

Thank you in advance for any insight!

IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Re: GPS?
Reply #1 - 04/16/09 at 17:43:23

I wouldn't truthe GPS to stay on just by suction. The make a handlebar mount for most GPS's if you can find them. Probably best to go that route so that you don't lose it along the way.

The 12 volt plug should be pretty easy... Run the positive wire off the battery. Take it up along the frame, under the tank, and then bring it out to the handlebars area. You can grab the ground from anywhere along the way. I don't think a GPS will take too much power from the bike to drain the battery.

For myself? I'm looking to get a mount for my GPS too. I've got a handheld Garmin GPSMap 60CSx. Runs off 2 AA's and lasts a long while. If I need to, I'll splice in a power wire the way I mentioned above.

Good luck!

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #2 - 04/16/09 at 19:15:39

Geezer, I have been thinking along those same lines.  I have a garmin, but the concept is the same.  I do not think mine would stick to the curved windshield and I would be afraid to try.  If it falls off in the truck that is too bad, if it falls off of the bike it is gone.

I am thinking about some kind of tank bag, magnet mount thing under the speedometer.  This is in the early thinking stage.  I also thought about fixing a power outlet and putting it in the tool box (I think someone else suggested this somewhere).  The garmin has an internal batter that would last long enough for me to use without power.  I have not got anything definite though.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #3 - 04/16/09 at 19:25:01

check jc whitney for a handlebar mount cig lighter... used to be way cheap.... use velcro tape instead of the suction cup... superglue the adhesive side(couple drops).... a magnetic mount might be a bad idea for a gps, as they use radio to get a fix....pretty sure alot of aftermarket parts folks make bar mount gps holders too....

IP Logged
savagedml

Paid Alliance
Membership (07/09)

Portsmouth, VA
Reply #4 - 04/16/09 at 20:28:07

Here's where I mounted my 12v accessory plug for my GPS:

http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/1574633/

Paid Alliance Membership (07/09)
"Let's roll!"
WWW funluvncareertech   IP Logged
savagedml

Paid Alliance
Membership (07/09)

Portsmouth, VA
Reply #5 - 04/16/09 at 20:31:33

The suction cup mount has worked out pretty good for me on my windshield.

http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/1574636/

http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/1574644/

"Let's roll!"
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #6 - 04/16/09 at 20:42:09

Savage DML:

Do you have the details on yor GPS holder. Looks good. I myself was considering drilling the windshield and using small bolts with  rubber washers to attach the GPS mount. I haven't come across any GPS mounts that look like they will attach to the stock handle bars easily.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #7 - 04/16/09 at 20:59:49

Don't get me wrong. I've got nothing against GPS. Might've come in handy on a couple of occasions; but this topic certainly has conjured up some memories for me. It doesn't seem all that long ago that I used to just get on the bike and ride. No cell phone, no AAA card, no itinerary, no map, nobody knowing where I was going, or when I would get there. No protective gear, other than a helmet. Just denim and the open road. Nowadays, I wouldn't dream of leaving to go across town without at least half of the aforemention stuff on the bike. Ah, the good ol' days. How'd we ever survive them. Smiley

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
savagedml

Paid Alliance
Membership (07/09)

Portsmouth, VA
Reply #8 - 04/16/09 at 22:24:02

Skid: The suction cup mount came with my Garmin. It has only come off 1x and because of it's size/configuration, it won't fall through between the the bottom of the windshield and the tree, handlebars etc. I just reattached it at the next stop light. I have 1500 miles on this setup and move it between my cage and the bike as needed. Now I only spent $120 on my Garmin 205, but as you can see I added the rubber protector (from Walmart), and a $10 2-year replacement warranty. Still ALOT cheaper than the $500-$700 dollar special motorcycle GPS units offered. Great touch sensitive screen and was awesome navigating The Tail of the Dragon last weekend!

"Let's roll!"
il67bp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 04/16/09 at 22:44:13

i have a garmin. i used an all weather cigarette lighter from wal mart. it cost $8. i have that zip tied to the frame near the seat. for the gps i use the clip that came with it but i detached the suction cup so its only the clip. i then zip tied the clip through its holes to the handle bars. believe it or not this setup is ver sturdy and isnt ugly. i can take some pics if you would like. also if you wanted to make it neater you could wire it under the tank to the lighter.

IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #10 - 04/16/09 at 23:14:13

Come on guys. If you read the options for the Garmin in the "please spend more money" section of their info sheet in the box they mention a handle bar mount for motorcycles. I'm sure the other companys have the same. Suction cups seem never to work on curved surfaces anyway. Then when you add our thumpity little engine that can . . .

I did the 12 volt socket with two 16" or so pigtail wires from a department store wire tied to the frame under the right side of the seat. It's been there two years and can be rotated around the frame just enough to make it handy for whatever gets plugged into it. I used it mainly for jump starting before I got the new battery. I'm sure the leads are long enough to go under the tank and let you put it somewhere unobtrusive up front. Of course the 12 volt cord with my Garmin 205 is long enough to reach my sissy bar from the front of the bike so all I need is a passenger to hold it and tap me when it's time to turn.

Jack

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 04/16/09 at 23:33:39

search RAM mounts.

A set came with my veypor, very sturdy.  Attachments for everything.

WWW   IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #12 - 04/17/09 at 11:48:41

Just found this site. Looks like it would work, but its gonna be close to $100 usd.   Tongue
http://www.leadermotorcycle.com

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
  IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #13 - 04/17/09 at 15:16:22

Checked out the Ram site. Their search wizard came up with this for trhe S40 & Magellan GPS.  Much cheaper!!!   Cheesy

http://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogResults/PartDetails/tabid/63/partid/082065077...

'09 C50SE, '09 C90
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #14 - 04/20/09 at 05:36:39

I tried my Garmin GPS suction mounted to the windshield.  I realize there is alot of difference between it sitting in the shed, nice and still and thumping and bumping along the road.  I put the GPS on yesterday morning and this morning it had fallen off, never having moved.  That was what I suspected would happen.  If yours stays stuck on, great but mine didn't.  I've never had a problem in the truck with it.  I am still going to think about this.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 23:31:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › GPS?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.