Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Flippin' bike wont start (Read 160 times)
odvelasc
Ex Member

Flippin' bike wont start
04/16/09 at 16:03:29

So I have the vm carb. A 15 pilot jet, and the needle jet bled with a number 40 drill bit. Everything is in good, nothing is missing and the bike still wont start. There is fuel in the float etc... Bahhhh. I am going crazy. I tried the choke and some throttle and nothing. I get the turn over but no start. The neutral light is on full blast so I know the battery is good. It is two years old and the water is slightly overfilled. I drained the oil and changed the filter last weekend because I flooded the bike. Thinking of going back to stock carb. Any thoughts???

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Re: Flippin' bike wont start
Reply #1 - 04/16/09 at 16:06:30

check the tech section on how to read your (spark) plug...
tell us what you find...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/16/09 at 17:09:12

I dont get a blue spark when I pull out the plug and try to start the bike. Does that mean batter is dead? It holds a charge and the neutral light comes on. I tried to start the bike a few times and no go. had it tested at part source and it read 0 amps. Perhaps from trying to start it too manyt times.anyways the bike died about two weeks ago in the middle of a ride because it could not hold idle. Has not started since.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 04/16/09 at 17:54:09

Can you put a charger on the battery? Or, take it to an auto parts store to be tested?
Are you grounding the plug to the cylinder to check the spark? W/O a ground, no sparkeee.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/16/09 at 18:12:43

yeah it was tested at an autoparts and no amps were read, but prolly because battery was almost dead from trying to start too many time. Umm oh yeah the ground lol. Oh the batter did read 12.3 volts at the partsource but no amps. hmm.... Well, the battery charged at 2amps from about 25% to 100% in just under 2 hours

IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #5 - 04/16/09 at 19:04:27

FULLY charge your battery, then see if you have spark... cdi's that get their juice from a batt are picky about battery voltage.... they shoulda put an old school dirtbike self exciter in this.... 2 relays, a timer, the starter, and the ignition is a big load for those little bike batteries....

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 04/17/09 at 05:45:41

Self exciter? You mean like a lawnmower>?

* Note to you Funny Guys, Self Exciter here, in this context, is about engine ignition, okay???

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #7 - 04/17/09 at 12:17:09

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/17/09 at 05:45:41:
Self exciter? You mean like a lawnmower>?

* Note to you Funny Guys, Self Exciter here, in this context, is about engine ignition, okay???

well, a mower is technically a magneto, while the old no batt required to run solid state(no points) bikes were self exciting cdi setups.... BIG pickup coil in case, permanent magnet in alt rotor, they produced their own ignition base voltage.... had an old suzi ts185 that if you kicked it, and the cdi output wasnt grounded, you had spark.... conversion is kind of out of the question though, the pickup coils were huge compared to the one in the savage(imagine a big fat thumb, that's about the size of my ts's pickup)..... batt excited allows much smaller coils(only need to produce enough voltage/current to switch a transistor, rather than charge the caps and saturate the coil)... on a side note, one should be able to use one of those tiny dirtbike sits-on-top-of-the-plug coils to replace the stocker(just needs to be a cdi coil)... great for those pare every excess ounce off bobber conversions....

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 04/17/09 at 13:32:02

battery is still good. It was tested at 95% today. So I will charge it a few hours tonight and try it again tomorrow. Tonight is date night with the lady so no working on the bike.

IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #9 - 04/17/09 at 14:29:55

also, trying to diagnose a no start condition by reading the plug is like reading last months newspaper.... doesnt tell much about current events.... plug reading only works in hot engines run under load... if you've never gotten it running with the VM, then the carb might be at fault... but, the no spark condition says ignition.... pickup, cdi box, coil, plug wire, plug, kill switch, kickstand switch.... recheck all harness connectors, grounds etc.... kinda sounds like you missed a connector or a ground when you buttoned it back up.....

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 04/17/09 at 17:33:54

yeah even with the kill switch flipped to off thr bike turns over.

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 04/18/09 at 18:23:47

I am taking her in to a shop next week when they are not soo backed up. I have done everything i can. I will add a fresh tank of gas since its  near reserve on the tank it had over the winter. If that no workee than off to a motorcycle shop. Thanks to all for your advice over the weeks. I just dont have time to do the work.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 20:39:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Flippin' bike wont start

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.