Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Help, losing power on the top end! (Read 201 times)
speedingman

Take'n it one day at
a time

Help, losing power on the top end!
04/11/09 at 11:20:21

I have a 1996 ls650, I put a brand new carb on this bike and replaced a leaking head gasket. Cant fiqure out why but when driving the bike for some reason i can not go any faster than 55-60mph, i live in florida, The bike seems topped out at 60mph like thats all the power shes got. It makes no difference if i ride solo or with my wife on too.

Not sure whats going on, any help would be greatful.
1996 ls650
13110 miles

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Help, losing power on the top end!
Reply #1 - 04/11/09 at 11:35:16

stock carb?

new carb, why?

did you try it with the old carb?

when you replace the head gasket, you took off the head?

You maybe 1 tooth off on the timing chain.

WWW   IP Logged
speedingman

Take'n it one day at
a time

Reply #2 - 04/11/09 at 11:41:08

Replaced carb because original was in really bad shape, thried to tear donwn to clean but screws were stripped from someone prior to me, so needles to say i bouhgt a new carb, and they are not cheap at all.

Yes when i replaced the head gasket i had motor out of the bike and the head timingchain cam all of that was removed.

this is my first bike so im still new to them i can work on them but dont know much about them. thanks for the help.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 04/11/09 at 12:15:20

If I remember correctly, it's been done before.
You might search to confirm, but pretty sure it's the timing on the chain.

When I messed with mine, noted the markes don't exactly line up.  Most likely cause I was continueing to use a worn chain.  Go CCW on the cam when the teeth don't line up to the TDC and cam mark to the head.

A fully stretched chain will make the cam lag up to 7°

WWW   IP Logged
speedingman

Take'n it one day at
a time

Reply #4 - 04/11/09 at 12:23:05

Awsome i will check after this weekend bike has 13,000 miles so not sure how stretched the chain could be? It was my first time working on this motor so more than like ly its off, you say to go CCW with cam, how come, if the cam sprocket is off how do i know which way too go to allow for stretched chain? Also can you tell me what on this bike tells the inigtion coil when to fire? Thanks.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 04/11/09 at 12:32:58

Start with the marks perfectly lined up.  then rotate the cam CCW until engaged.  Might be difficult, but try untill either the marks line up or until the cam marks are slightly rotated CCW, not CW.

At 13k miles, might be stretched to the point of doing something.  Check in the tech sect for 'cam chain adjuster check' written by yours truely.

Timing is electronic, there's a sensor in the stator side.  There's no adjustment to it if it's stock.

WWW   IP Logged
speedingman

Take'n it one day at
a time

Reply #6 - 04/11/09 at 12:40:09

ok thanks i will check everything out on tuesday and i let you know how i make out, thanks for the help.

WWW   IP Logged
speedingman

Take'n it one day at
a time

Reply #7 - 04/15/09 at 13:03:49

Ok thanks for all the help, got her adjusted today, timing was off about 2-3 teeth CCW, I pulled everything apart and reset the chain, and rotated the crack a few times and made sure the chain tensioner was good. Everything looked good so i put her together and road tested... WOW what an improvement, she runs like a top!! Thanks again for the Help!!  Now all i have to do is fix the holes that someone drilled in the end of the exuast pipe, sounds like a lawnmower, lol. Undecided

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 04/15/09 at 13:37:09

great!, glad to be of help.

tap a bolt in if you can't get it welded.

WWW   IP Logged
speedingman

Take'n it one day at
a time

Reply #9 - 04/15/09 at 13:52:10

Good idea thanks, there like 3/8 - 7/16 size holes! Ill do that i was thinking of just using some metal filler.

WWW   IP Logged
speedingman

Take'n it one day at
a time

Reply #10 - 04/15/09 at 14:07:06

went one farther! A coke can and some self tapping screws and some hitemp silcone looks good! Roll Eyes

WWW   IP Logged
Bruno666
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 04/17/09 at 01:13:31

How much do you have to pull apart to check if the cam timing is off ? And how do you do it ?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 04/17/09 at 05:43:55

Gotta get to where you can see the cam & the timing marks on the left side. Or, You could study the location of the piston in the cylinder & the position of the valves.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #13 - 04/17/09 at 15:29:29

Has anyone ever set the cam timing one tooth fast  and  what effect did that have. ?

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
speedingman

Take'n it one day at
a time

Reply #14 - 04/18/09 at 14:01:52

You have to pull the valve cover and the right side cover to see the chain, you can line up the crank to the mark on the inspection plug on the left side to get TDC. I just adjusted mine that was off 2 teeth. Unfortunetly i thought or so it seemed that this fixed my problem but i only gained a slight power increase, only slight! Still not sure whats going on, Ive got a compression tester but i need an adapter to fit the plug hole, im thinking that im losing compression. I am still only able to get up to about 60mph with full throttle, I also checked my valve clearance in the process, they checked out ok. Any one else have this problem? I have installed a OEM brand new carb and a new head gasket, and exuast gasket. Im really starting to get fustrated with this bike, thought i got got a good deal on it! paid a thousand bucks for the bike. 530.00 for a carb, 40.00 for a head gasket, 5.00 for an exaust gasket, so thats up to 1,575.00! Plus banged up knuckles and frustration, lol.
:'(

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 15:51:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Help, losing power on the top end!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.