Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
lowering shocks (Read 108 times)
matt_savage

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

lowering shocks
04/13/09 at 12:14:22

I'm looking to lower the rear-end of my Savage.  Are my only options lowering struts (losing the shocks) or physically cutting my existing shocks to make them lower?  Does anyone make a smaller shock I can buy that will lower my arse end by 1-1.5"??  TIA

-Matt

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: lowering shocks
Reply #1 - 04/13/09 at 13:22:43

You could cut the shock rod, you would have to retread it and then cut off the spring.I would be a job but can be done.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #2 - 04/13/09 at 14:53:03

in the realm of mods, you can also buy a swingarm off ebay, and relocate the shock mounts back.... grinding and welding involved though... probably a darn sight easier than trying to thread the hardened shock shaft.... back in the olden days (when men were men, and sheep were nervous), they used to sell a bracket that would bolt to your existing shock mount, and had another shock mount further back.... would give a 2" drop to the rear.... as this is a "wetsump" motor, if you drop the tail, you should drop the nose too, otherwise the change in angle of the motor can result in lubrication problems, as splash resevoirs, oil return galleries, and even the sump pickup can be affected by the change in angle....

IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #3 - 04/13/09 at 16:49:53

diamond jim posted some information about lowering the rear fender. You could try that to look lower, without a bunch of modding.

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
bluesavage218
Alliance Member

Chicks dig it.

Jackson, TN
Reply #4 - 04/13/09 at 17:28:51

Yeah if you just want it to look lower, do Diamond Jims Mod it looks sweet.

IP Logged
matt_savage

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 04/13/09 at 18:22:57

Well, I guess I should state why I wanna lower it.  I bought a trailer fender from Northern Tool like the one Demin has on his purple bobber.  As I'm trying to fit it up, I realize that his bike is lower in the rear cuz of his lowering struts.  That's the only way this bobber fender is going to fit cuz w/o lowering the arse end, the new fender sits way too high and looks awkward.  In my estimation I'll need to lower the rear end 1-1.5" to make the fender fit and look right before I cut it right at the top of the rear tire.  Hmmmm what to do.  But I do like the look of DiamondJim's lower rear fender and if I go that way, I'm gonna fill in all of the holes form the stock hardware and repaint it along with the tank.  Oh too much work going on at once!!!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 04/13/09 at 19:16:24

don't mount it to the frame, mount it to the swingarm.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 19:34:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › lowering shocks

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.