Send Topic Print
60/55w to 100/55w bulb (Read 126 times)
alcoa

never let the
bastards wear you
down

60/55w to 100/55w bulb
04/11/09 at 06:57:23

I want to get more light for driving at night. In DENNIS KIRK book the same type bulb is 40w brighter on high. At $4.99 is it the way to go? Wink

most problems are caused by the loose nut that conects the handelbars to the seat
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: 60/55w to 100/55w bulb
Reply #1 - 04/11/09 at 07:04:48

Thats the way I been going for years.works good.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
craigq
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ottawa, ON
Reply #2 - 04/11/09 at 07:08:57

I've read "Internet stories" (meaning I've never tried it or experienced it myself) of melted wiring harnesses from using a higher wattage bulb than OEM. It'll draw more current = more heat and the gauge of the wiring isn't designed for it.

Example warning here: http://store.candlepower.com/48nahiwamola2.html

Another problem people experience are plastics might melt with the higher wattage bulb (i.e. plastic reflectors, lenses etc).

Since the 100W is for the high beams and if you don't use it continuously you might be okay, but please don't take my word for it... if it was me I wouldn't do it. Have you researched an HID solution for motorcycles?  eg http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/hid-motorcycle-driving-light/

EDIT: bill who has experience with the modification has had no problems so you should be okay  Wink

2009 WR250R/X
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #3 - 04/11/09 at 07:19:01

there are  standard draw bulbs that give the same light as the 100 watt.. look at PIAA web site  or google H4 bulbs

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #4 - 04/12/09 at 19:30:37

craigq wrote on 04/11/09 at 07:08:57:
I've read "Internet stories" (meaning I've never tried it or experienced it myself) of melted wiring harnesses from using a higher wattage bulb than OEM. It'll draw more current = more heat and the gauge of the wiring isn't designed for it.

Example warning here: http://store.candlepower.com/48nahiwamola2.html

Another problem people experience are plastics might melt with the higher wattage bulb (i.e. plastic reflectors, lenses etc).

Since the 100W is for the high beams and if you don't use it continuously you might be okay, but please don't take my word for it... if it was me I wouldn't do it. Have you researched an HID solution for motorcycles?  eg http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/hid-motorcycle-driving-light/

EDIT: bill who has experience with the modification has had no problems so you should be okay  Wink

I had exactly the highlighted above happen to me when I put in some brighter bulbs on another scoot of mine. I had accounted for the power draw, the wiring, etc.; but didn't think about the lenses or the housing for the bulb. That is, until I had a melted mess on my front end. I was so proud of myself... for about three minutes. Not a good day.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #5 - 04/13/09 at 05:22:50

I run high beam all the time during the day.
I use the Syvlania SiverStar H4 bulb (60/55) and it is a lot brighter than stock.
A lot of Auto Parts places will carry it.  AutoZone, Pep Boys, etc

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #6 - 04/13/09 at 06:07:40

me too...that's what I run in the Savage...works much better than stock. Smiley

Because I can!
  IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #7 - 04/13/09 at 07:24:44

Avoid PIAA and any blue dyed bulbs.

Here is some science on the matter:
http://danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/bulbs.html

European halogen bulbs can offer 30% or 50% more light (measured in lumens) for the same electrical consumption and heat output (measured in watts) due to their higher cost gases inside the bulb and more precise filament placement in the optical center of the headlight's reflector.

Anyone interested might contact Mr. Stern and ask if he has a suggestion for a better headlight for motorcycles.  He might have a headlight for sale where the lens offers better light distribution on the pavement.  If someone does contact Mr. Stern, please post the answer here.

IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #8 - 04/13/09 at 07:27:23

PIAA makes bulbs that aren't blue as well. I have them in my car and they work amazingly. Even better than silverstars I have used in the past. You lose a lot with blue colored lights, I'm not arguing with that.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 10:19:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 60/55w to 100/55w bulb

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.