Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
flooded engine, BAD Raptor petock!!!1 (Read 161 times)
odvelasc
Ex Member

flooded engine, BAD Raptor petock!!!1
04/09/09 at 20:33:48

Advice is greatly needed. I bought a used, supposed working raptor 660 petcock. It would leak when on the ON position (gas seeping through the dial, not from under the tank). My engine has flooded and gas is leaking from the carb vents because it seems gas still flows even in the OFF position. I am gonna put back on the stock petcock in the morning, and I wanna do an oil change, but cant get a new oil filter until next wednesday because of the easter weekend and cant put it in until next thursday because of work schedule. What damage can occur to the bike due to flooding? If I have to pay for repairs can I have this ebay company held liable for the damage on my bike due to their faulty product?

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Re: flooded engine, BAD Raptor petock!!!1
Reply #1 - 04/10/09 at 01:04:00

Hmmm... eBay... if they're people with a reputation to maintain, they should replace it free of charge, other than your paying for s/h both ways... which could prove more expensive that buying a nw one yourself...

OR

they could claim it was damged in the mail, but that would be >THEIR< ault because the packaing wasn't up to the required standards.

OR

they could claim you aren't good with oold and damagd it youself - I don't think so.

As for the oil change... drain the oil, open the filter housing, let the filter drip all the oil it can (i.e. through a strainer ) and allow the gas to dry naturally.

IF after a few days it only smells like oil, you should be OK.
IF it still smells like gas, then iscard it.

Wink

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 04/10/09 at 04:37:42

I would send a response to the ebay co. you got this from and give them the specifics of what happened and include that you are waiting tot see if damage was done to our bike.  It is not likely; and following the advice given above about draining and drying should be sufficient.  But, the supplier you bought the petcock from needs to see a STRONGLY WORDED LETTER from you about how UNSATISFIED you are and that THEY need to fix the situation by replacing the defective part, or at least refund your $$ including the shipping cost.
A brand new Raptor petcock is pretty cheap, I just ordered a generic new one for Maurizio from "Ron Ayers" for about $15 + shp.  Of course, you can also buy a high quality Pingel Power-Flo unit for $91 as well if you want to go the high end route.

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/10/09 at 05:28:33

yeah they said they would replace it already. I was just wondering what trouble my bike may be in. Thanks for the info on drying the filter. I am gonna go do that now.

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/10/09 at 07:20:31

The gas leaking is not a petcock issue. The gas is leaking from my lowest floatbowl drain which is very low on the floatbowl and pointing towards the back. I unhooked the fuel just to make sure it was not the petcock and nada. No fuel, aside from small leakage which is normal, came out. Also, when I tilt the carb to drain the gas, gas also comes out of my dial a jet dial. Is this normal? I am also now thinking that instead of having drilled out the floatbowl screw to install the fuel line for the DAJ I could have used that rear vent instead. My oil level is beyond the highest line, but thats because I over did it with the oil when I changed 2 weeks ago so I will drain it a bit.( dropped in 2 full quarts). the carb is now pulled from the bike and the SAGA CONTINUES.

IP Logged
craigq
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ottawa, ON
Reply #5 - 04/10/09 at 08:00:46

I have a stock of oil filters. Let me know if/when you want me to drop one off, PM me...

2009 WR250R/X
  IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 04/10/09 at 16:50:39

pm sent

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 04/13/09 at 08:37:51

ok so I got a full refund on the petcock. I am gonna put the stock carb and petcock back on just to make sure nothing else is going on.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 06:23:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › flooded engine, BAD Raptor petock!!!1

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.