extending wheelbase? (Read 128 times)
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

extending wheelbase?
04/08/09 at 10:28:12

Greetings all,

I have been haunting SuzikiSavage.com for over a year now, and I have been very impressed with what I have read.
I would like to ask a question.
If I modified the frame of an s40 by adding 1/2 inch under the neck I should gain about four inches in wheelbase. I would also drop the clearance by about 14%. My crude drawings show the engine now pitched forward about 5 degrees.
Would the forward pitch of the engine cause issues with oil flow, piston wear, gas flow...
Thank you for any feedback.
Love your site!!

JohnBoy

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: extending wheelbase?
Reply #1 - 04/08/09 at 11:41:44

Not sure how much oil pools in the tranny.
1st effect would be oil fills, the oil window will be higher.
you need to make sure the oil level doesn't get whipped up by the crank.  Other than that don't see an issue.

question... why only lower the front?  Keep it even and lower the back too.

WWW   IP Logged
Mortation

Reply #2 - 04/08/09 at 12:17:22

I was thinking about this myself.  I was more thinking cutting the swing arm and having it extended 1 - 2 inches.  Problem is I think there would be to many ramifications like:

1)Have to switch to chain, need a longer chain
2) Have to move the rear fender back more, plus side of bigger seat
3) Need custom chain guard
4) Need new shocks as the bottom mounts would be 2 inches back

1988 LS650 - Candy Apple Red w/ Ghost Flames, Harley muffler, S40 seat, white spacer Mod, #55 pilot, #155 main.
  IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 04/08/09 at 13:02:34

"question... why only lower the front?  Keep it even and lower the back too."

My train of thought was to retain the original equipment while lengthening the wheelbase by a few inches. The idea being to make it a little less “responsive” at high speeds. I  have read the post on increasing performance, and changing final drive ratios to attain comfortable freeway speeds. My experience tells me that high speed  and a short wheelbase require constant attention to avoid surprises.  My most recent rides have been Goldwings and Voyagers, and a  700lb bike is much more predictable in a sudden crosswind. Having said that, my true love has always been a single. If only they came in 1000cc!
I am intrigued with the idea of dropping the rear at the same time and keeping it on a level. Can you point me in the right direction to learn more?
Thank you again for the reply.

IP Logged
Mortation

Reply #4 - 04/08/09 at 13:05:47

JohnBoy wrote on 04/08/09 at 13:02:34:
"question... why only lower the front?  Keep it even and lower the back too."

My train of thought was to retain the original equipment while lengthening the wheelbase by a few inches. The idea being to make it a little less “responsive” at high speeds. I  have read the post on increasing performance, and changing final drive ratios to attain comfortable freeway speeds. My experience tells me that high speed  and a short wheelbase require constant attention to avoid surprises.  My most recent rides have been Goldwings and Voyagers, and a  700lb bike is much more predictable in a sudden crosswind. Having said that, my true love has always been a single. If only they came in 1000cc!
I am intrigued with the idea of dropping the rear at the same time and keeping it on a level. Can you point me in the right direction to learn more?
Thank you again for the reply.

Well if you just want to extend the wheel base then extending the swing arm should work.  I hear you about the highways, I just took mine on one this morning.  Went one exit and got off.  I am on the coast and its April so the wind was just way to much.  The wheel base I don't think is the only problem though.  I think the extra weight of the bigger bikes help keep them in line and I also think some have wider tires.

1988 LS650 - Candy Apple Red w/ Ghost Flames, Harley muffler, S40 seat, white spacer Mod, #55 pilot, #155 main.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 04/08/09 at 13:24:37

Search 'savage+9'

He did a 9" frame stretch.

That's the way I'd go.  the forks are a bit spindly to rake IMO

WWW   IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #6 - 04/08/09 at 13:25:22

Personally, I think the bike performs fine at freeway speeds as it is.  You have to remember it's a midsize (light?) cruiser and not a "touring" bike, so take that into account.  I have a chain and can run comfortably at 70 on the freeway for long durations, and faster for short durations.  The wind doesn't bother any more on it than my 600lb Shadow 1100.  In fact the Shadow dances around just as much as the Savage.  The value I find in the Savage IS the responsiveness.

But, after the mods I've done to mine, who am I to tell you not to go for it if you want to!

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #7 - 04/08/09 at 14:55:20

+1 on Gary's comment.  I've made numerous rides up the Columbia River Gorge this last summer/fall/winter, which as anyone who has ridden it can attest, is subject to a fair amount of unpredictable wind gusts.  While the stronger ones do bounce our poor little bike around some, I never really felt like I was in danger of loosing control or over correcting or anything.  About the worst was bucking a particularly strong headwind and feeling like it was trying to pick me up and blow me off the back of the bike.  Hmmm, might be a windshield in my future someday?  Cheesy
That being said, do what makes ya happy, because isn't that the whole point of owning a Savage? Wink

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #8 - 04/08/09 at 15:46:27

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 12:50:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › extending wheelbase?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.