Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Newbie Question: clutch cable free play adjustment (Read 165 times)
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Newbie Question: clutch cable free play adjustment
03/30/09 at 05:25:09

I adjusted the free play in the clutch cable over the weekend and in hindsight I think I did it incorrectly. The clutch arm has a few millimeters of free play in it and I included that motion when I adjusted the cable free play.

I think those are separate things, right? Cable free play should the motion before the clutch arm moves. I think.

-Dwarf

Pearl White 2007 S40; Dyna exhaust; Current jets: 52.5 w/ bleed (2 turns out) / 1.5mm (0.06") spacer / 150; raptor petcock
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: Newbie Question: clutch cable free play adjust
Reply #1 - 03/30/09 at 11:30:55

Cable free paly ...  hmmmm    I  am pretty sure you should make sure the clutch grabs at a certain point.  The correct free play will be where the clutch works correctly.

Measruing at the handle bar lever, it should start to grab about 3/4 of an inch (maybe a full inch on new clutches) from the grip.   I say again, from the grip.   Any farther out and you may start to slip at WOT.  

There should be enough adjustment to handle any stretch the cable will have (if it's a stock cable....).

Tid-bit of info (possibly old timers yarn....): an old timer once told me that the metal strands of the cable really don't stretch much, it's that the strands tighten down on themselves whcih makes the cable a tiny bit longer.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #2 - 03/30/09 at 11:38:27

from the ssm:
3mm (.12 in)  the gap at the lever, adjust from below  loosen the lock nuts and slip the adjuster up or down the specified play tighten the lock nuts, minor adjust at the top

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Reply #3 - 03/30/09 at 13:11:08

I've got the Clymer's and I understand how to do it. I'm just a bit fuzzy on what I'm supposed to be doing.

My issue is that the "clutch actuation lever" has a fair amount of free play in it independent of the cable and "hand lever". When I initially adjusted the cable I mistook the source of the free play.

What I'm trying to say is that I should be able to squeeze the hand lever 10-15mm (measured at the clutch lever end -or- 3mm between the lever and the housing) and the clutch actuation lever shouldn't move.
Correct?

-Dwarf

Pearl White 2007 S40; Dyna exhaust; Current jets: 52.5 w/ bleed (2 turns out) / 1.5mm (0.06") spacer / 150; raptor petcock
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 03/30/09 at 13:21:28

You should have at least 3mm between the lever and the thing that holds it on the handlebar when lightly squeezed.  In other words all the slack taken up.  And check with bars turned to either side.

WWW   IP Logged
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Reply #5 - 03/30/09 at 13:26:27

verslagen1 wrote on 03/30/09 at 13:21:28:
You should have at least 3mm between the lever and the thing that holds it on the handlebar when lightly squeezed.  In other words all the slack taken up.  And check with bars turned to either side.

That's the opposite of what I was trying to say and what I had done originally (and since undone and will now redo).

The free play in the throttle cable is a little different, which is what confused me.

Thanks.

-Dwarf

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #6 - 03/30/09 at 16:22:01

D. Dwarf,
  I looked at the Clymers and then at the Factory SM.  I will say that on this one the  factory manual is a little clearer.

(page 2-11 of the FSM)  (also see pict below)
"Clutch paly (A) should be 3 mm (0.12 in) as measured at the clutch lever holder before the clutch begins to disengage.  If play in the clutch is incorrect, adjust it......."

BUT....   how the #%@&% are you going to check disengagement and measure?  To truly "disengage" the bike has to be in gear.  If you raise the bike up so rear tire is in the air, the wheel has a tendency to spin any way because of plate interaction and no resistance.   So ride it to check??  How are you going to measure while riding down the street???   The book has to be written by an engineer.....   Angry  (read my personal message at the bottom of posts)

So...... the 3/4" from grip to start grabbing,  is a farily easy method that works farily well.    You can be sitting and tweak and check, and tweak and recheck and tweak..... etc ... etc

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 03/30/09 at 17:43:03

As an engineer, I have found many opportunities to criticize my peers work.  Someone twice my years said in defense of someones work said "it's easy to improve on somethings that exists, but you have to have something to start with, that is hard"  

WWW   IP Logged
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Reply #8 - 03/30/09 at 18:16:06

I'm going on the wild assumption that when the effort required to move the clutch lever increases the clutch has begun to disengage. It's pretty easy to notice if you've got it way too loose.  Cheesy

Thanks for your help guys. In a couple weeks I'm going to be doing the valve clearance check and white spacer mod. I'll be back with more questions.

-Dwarf

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 03/30/09 at 18:51:46

I think the main issue is make sure that it disengages before the lever hits the bar.  I'd say at least one finger width.   Shocked

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 08:44:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Newbie Question: clutch cable free play adjustment

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.