Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Help, should I buy? (Read 265 times)
Mortation

Re: Help, should I buy?
Reply #15 - 03/30/09 at 09:19:08

If your willing to do the work go for it.  I would still try and get it for $800, especially if you can't get it started.  Its no "hop on and ride" thats for sure so if you are not a tinker you may want to pass because paying someone to do all that work is probably going to end up costing you more than you can sell it for.

1988 LS650 - Candy Apple Red w/ Ghost Flames, Harley muffler, S40 seat, white spacer Mod, #55 pilot, #155 main.
  IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #16 - 03/30/09 at 09:29:17

Some sand blasting and powder coating and most of it will be good as new appearance wise.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
hshift
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 03/30/09 at 09:46:25

Saw the pics. If you haven't got it running yet, then factor in another carb, cuz I would be thinking a carb with the corrosion level evident in the pics you posted will need to be changed. You are looking at not just corrosion either, but there's rust evident as well, which you aren't merely polishing out.

If you get it running with the existing carb, then MAYBE its a good deal, otherwise, no.  Another factor to consider, my 17 year old son is talking about riding someday, and I would NEVER let him ride a bike in this shape for a first ride. A car maybe, but not a bike. So for you to let your newbie girlfriend ride it, IDK, you are taking a big risk to save a few dollars iMHO.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #18 - 03/30/09 at 10:30:45

Anything that's not corroded, I would could considered as nearly new.
But, everything exposed should be considered as being 30 yrs or more.
Hense the under $1000 offer.

Engine case should clean up quite nicely with some effort, but I'd recommend getting a new oil filter cover.  These burst when abused.  There have been a few starter problems when exposed to moisture, that may crop up in the future.  Carb, I'd be looking to replace in the future only cause of appearance.

Another thing to consider, paint and rubber.  This thing has obviously spent quite a bit of time in the elements.  Unless protected from sun paint and rubber deteriate.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 22:29:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Help, should I buy?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.