Send Topic Print
Help, should I buy? (Read 265 times)
striven82
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Help, should I buy?
03/28/09 at 23:39:53

There is a 2005 S40 for sale in my area for $1100.  The catch is that the bike was exposed to the salt air in the Florida Keys and never washed.  Most of the painted metal is fine, but the clearcoated and raw metal has some pretty bad salt corrosion.  Also, the bike was dropped on it's right side so there is a golfball sized dent/scratch in the gas tank and the front fender.  I tried to start it but it just didn't want to turn over.  It was pretty cold outside and the guy said that he hadn't started it for over 2 months.  It cranked and cranked, but just wouldn't fire.  I'm sure it was flooded because there was a puddle of gas on the floor after our attempts.  Should I buy this bike because it is cheap / repairable, or should I pass and look for something better?
Odometer said it only has about 2500 miles on it.  The most corrosion is on the spokes, rear brake anchor, crankcase and generator panels. The forks are pretty good.  Please let me know what you think.

Thanks.

I'll try to attach all of the photos I have.

IP Logged
striven82
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Help, should I buy?
Reply #1 - 03/28/09 at 23:42:26

I can't attach photos... I tried.  I can e-mail pics to anyone interested in seeing this thing.  

Oh also, the brakes feel like they are always applied a little.  Maybe it's corrosion on the brake pads themselves, but it's hard to roll the bike forward or backward.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 03/29/09 at 00:10:48

I wouldnt want to drop the $$$ on it if I couldnt get it going. If you can go back & get it running, maybe change oil & run a magnet thru it, check the fork tubes. if they are messed up, the seals wont last & tubes would be the cost of repair. No small job & no smal cost.
If its just cosmetics, then its what will you be happy with? That money for that year bike, low miles, not bad, but if its really rough, then, maybe a bit much. If $300.00 would pay for parts & materials to fix it up, maybe the guy would take $800.00??

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
striven82
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 03/29/09 at 00:20:25

Fork tubes looked good.  Probably one of the best parts of the bike.  The rest is kinda rough.  Between the dents, scratches and salt corrosion there is a lot wrong with it.  Even if it does run, long term, I think that the driveability has got to be diminished just because of the corrosion if nothing else.

It says "5071 kilobytes and cannot be uploaded" when I try to attach pics.  Anyone know what's up?

Thanks

IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #4 - 03/29/09 at 00:36:19

You have to load them into either bike pics.com or Photo bucket.com to get them to work. The main photo server is jammed full already.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
striven82
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 03/29/09 at 00:38:32

I'm gonna try this photo thing again.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 03/29/09 at 00:53:49

I would want a Big Crank, new cables, fresh oil & filter, aircleaner checked, maybe swap out the braKE fluid. Otherwise, as long as the fiorktubes are slick, OHH yea, there might be some wiring somewhat affected, but maybe not too bad. The ending & tranny would be fine, right?  I dont know, kinda iffy, but generally a go. Depends a lot on your budget. If you can swing the $$ & dont want to rub & polish to have anice looking ride, then maybe this isnt for you?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
striven82
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 03/29/09 at 00:59:26

You think a some rubbing and polish would clean it up?  I've never lived in a marine environment, so I don't know how to get that crap off there.  I don't especially care how it looks.  As long as my spokes don't snap off under torque.

IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #8 - 03/29/09 at 02:59:07

Personally, I tend to avoid anything that has been exposed to "salt air". That said, it's a crap shoot. For $1000 you might be OK, provided you're comfortable with a bike that could become an ongoing project with lots of little things to tinker with and fix. If you want to ride, I'd say keep looking.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
alcoa

never let the
bastards wear you
down

Reply #9 - 03/29/09 at 04:17:34

If you want to tinker with the bike to get it going thats up to you. Remember there is always a better deal out there. I bought my bike to ride not fix and repair every time I use it. Keep looking for a s40 you will get a good one.

most problems are caused by the loose nut that conects the handelbars to the seat
  IP Logged
striven82
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 03/29/09 at 14:17:44

The bike would be for my girlfriend, as a learner bike.  I'm mostly interested in it because it is so inexpensive.  If it turns out that she doesn't like it, then I could always sell it off later in the summer.  Looks aside, is there anything fundamentally wrong with a bike in this condition?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 03/29/09 at 14:43:02

Would she be seen on it if you couldnt get it looking decent? Its rough, but it IS a 650 & when I am on mine, I am not so aware of what it looks like & if someone else doent like it, I dont care. It for me, not them. If she feels the same way & wants a fun, small, stout, easy to ride machine, fopr cheap, there ya go. Its a good platform for a learner & I wouldnt want to make it pretty just to watch her drop it. You guys can work on it together as she learns. It could be fun all the way around. It looks superficial, but the replace it list stands, unless you inspect cables & decide they are good. I would expect the problems on cables to be in the more exposed areas, the ends..

IP Logged
striven82
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 03/29/09 at 16:26:43

How much would it cost to replace all the cables?  I found a rear wheel complete with hub for about $70 on evilbay.  Besides that, it's pretty much cosmetic.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #13 - 03/29/09 at 17:10:55

Hmmmmm....  $1100 for a bike that would be worth $2500 to $3000 in good condition.  

So,  let's say you sell it this summer, after cleaning it up, a little low,  say $1900......  do you think you could get it running and prettied up for $800.  

The cables are around $20 or $30 each new from the dealers (saw one listed for $15).   Battery for $50 to $80.

That leaves Approx $660 or more for polishing....... I think the answer is yes, easlily.   So, investment wise, it's a good thing.  

But....  as a learning bike,  it's a great thing.    I took the Motorcycle Safety Cousre - Experienced ride (Refresher) course on mine.   In PA, that's the course that you use your own bike.  Well,  I was the only person out of 12 that had no, nada, ziltch, points deducted.   The bike turned inside the box with plenty of room to spare.  It accelerated up to speed before the panic stop drill easily.  With the low center of gravity, the Go-slow drill was a snap.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #14 - 03/29/09 at 18:32:01

I agree with T Mack.  As a modder, I'd love to find a bike like that.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 19:37:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Help, should I buy?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.