Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New Savage Owner (Read 328 times)
PTRider

New Savage Owner
03/25/09 at 22:57:09

I just bought a very decent 2001 Savage.  I have a couple of questions and will likely have more as time goes on.

--I'm 6' tall, size 13 shoes, and I'm melting the heel on my right shoe on the curved spot on the exhaust pipe between the heat shields.  Any suggestions on the best thing for me to do to get my heel away from the hot pipe?  Relocate the pegs?  (That would be comfortable as well.)  Any other suggestions?

--What are the favored tire pressures for a 200# rider?  29/33 psi or something different?

--The 8 year old IRC tires still look very good, but...but will they grip?  No cracking visible, and the bike looks like it was always garaged (no UV damage to rubber or paint), so the tires look like they're OK, or are they?

--Another Savage rider is getting me a 150 main jet for better around-town response.  Good idea?  I don't want to do a lot of mods.  Ending the backfiring would be OK, as well, and I know that's a problem on modern carburetted engines.

--Any suggestions for finding the rear shock setting I'll like best for my 200#?  #3?  The suspension feels harsh right now, but I haven't yet checked the rear setting and the fork oil is cold in this weather, and I haven't yet started experimenting with the settings.

--The tool kit cover was missing.  I understand that those covers were not one of Suzuki's better ideas...is eBay the best place to look for one?

--Is raising the front of the seat still a recommended mod, or have problems developed with that?

Thanks,
Ken

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: New Savage Owner
Reply #1 - 03/25/09 at 23:49:21

Them's big feet, try the market place for Ed L's forward controls.  Other wise an extra heat shield would be the way to go.  But don't know of any that will clamp on, you'll have to be creative.  Or use header wrap in the area.  It will cause blueing.  I betcha a aluminum plate and a couple of hose clamps solve the issue untill you can find what you want.
I use half way between the solo and 2 up tire pressures.
I used #4 before I got progressives.  I'm 6' 240.  Adjust it till you don't bottom out on hard bumps.
Keep a close eye on those tires and would keep the speed down.
New rider?  If I were you and the tires were an unknown, I'd replace them.  Better to have some experience before you have to handle a tire problem.
Ah, tool cover, fleabay is your best bet, but sometimes they come available here.
Yeah raise the seat, also see sportster seat mod in the tech section.

BTW, welcome.

WWW   IP Logged
Wolf

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 03/26/09 at 03:26:05

Just because the bike is only 8 years old, your tires could be older.  The tire code will let you know when they were built.  Also, any tire needs exercise (flex) otherwise they will harden over time.  I used to sell tires commercially.  I recommend you invest in new tires, your safety first.

Wolf

IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #3 - 03/26/09 at 03:29:15

Hey PTrider

Welcome to our world.  I agree with what Verslagen said, mostly.  I found a tool box cover on this sight, ebay had a couple but they ended up being more than a new one.  It is ht ekind of thing you need to watch.  Ronayers or bike bandit are good places to go for parts and price ideas.  Check and post in the marketplace you are looking for the cover, someone might have one.

I raised the front of my seat about an inch or so and HATED it.  Let's just say some parts hurt that I really didn't like hurting, so I went back to the stock setup.  You just need to try and see what fits for you.  I am a big boy as well.

Post whatever questions and someone will answer.

Mike

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #4 - 03/26/09 at 06:33:12

New Perlli 66 route tires are real good tires,Raising the front of the seat with put you in one spot you can't move around that bad.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Mortation

Reply #5 - 03/26/09 at 07:03:36

Well I am not that big and I still have those problems Wink  I can't seem to get any responses from "Ed L" in his forward control post so I am not sure if his forward controls are still available.

In the mean time I am going to try these pegs:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300271078371&ss...

Another member has a similar pair mounted and all that needed to be done was drill the hole out a little bigger.

I am hoping the thinner diameter will help with the shifting and the longer peg will keep my feet away from the exhaust.  My feet are already on the end of the regular pegs Sad

1988 LS650 - Candy Apple Red w/ Ghost Flames, Harley muffler, S40 seat, white spacer Mod, #55 pilot, #155 main.
  IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #6 - 03/26/09 at 07:27:20

Wolf wrote on 03/26/09 at 03:26:05:
Just because the bike is only 8 years old, your tires could be older.  The tire code will let you know when they were built.  Also, any tire needs exercise (flex) otherwise they will harden over time.  I used to sell tires commercially.  I recommend you invest in new tires, your safety first.

Wolf

The tires were made in the 50th week of 2000, so they are eight year old.  (The DOT code impressed into the sidewall of the tire has the week and year of manufacture...look at the last four digits.  In this case those digits are 5000.  Pre-2000 tires had one digit for the year.)  I understand about the need for the tire to flex to bring the preservative chemicals to the surface.  While these don't seem to have sun damage, there is more to tire life and reliability than just that.

The Pirelli MT 66 Route tires seem to be a good choice.  My needs are in this order wet traction, cold traction, and stability.  I don't need a long-life tire as much as I need grip and stability.  Is there a better tire choice for my needs?

I'll experiment with the seat angle.  Mort, pls let us know if the pegs make a difference.  Thanks for all the good ideas, and keep them coming.

IP Logged
seviersavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Smoky Mountains Tennessee
Reply #7 - 03/26/09 at 17:56:28

I'm 6' 240 also, you need a set of ED L's forward controls. They made a worl of difference for me. Also I'll say the main jet will help but the pilot also needs an upgrade. Either the white spacer or just a step up will stop the backfiring and surging at half throttle.
Welcome and be careful.
Seviersavage

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #8 - 03/26/09 at 21:13:17

FWIW...I've also got an '01 (see signature) with the original tires.

The tires still perform fine on mine but the rear is worn out and will be replaced soon.

My Savage is my daily rider, but my trips are short (strictly running local errands).

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #9 - 03/27/09 at 07:01:59

Welcome from one '01 rider to another....   Grin

The 150 main is a good idea but that won't help the backfire.

Motorcycle carbs have three fuel circuits.  Low speed, mid range and high .  They are controlled by the pilot (low speed jet) & mixture screw, the Needle (white spacer moves that), and the main jet respectively.  Affected throttle ranges, Zero to 1/4 turn for the pilot jet/screw,  1/8 to 3/4 for the Needle (white spacer) and aprox 2/3 to Full wide open throttle (WOT) for the main jet.

To fix the backfire you need to adjust the low speed circuit.  That is done by adjusting the mixture screw.  The screw on a "Stock"  '01 is under a brass plug on the right side of the card.  

You may want to adjust the white spacer a tiny bit to give you a slightly more power in mid range for those "Oh S$%T" moments.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #10 - 03/27/09 at 07:40:47

I'm beginning to understand the functions of the different parts of the carburetor.  I'll soon remove the brass cap and begin adjusting the mixture screw an eighth turn at a time and experimenting with different spacer thicknesses...one change at a time... Wink.

Does anyone know if Ed L. is still making the forward control extenders?  Or, are plans around?

IP Logged
AngloSaxon

I'd rather have one
big one than four
small ones.

Framingham MA
Reply #11 - 03/27/09 at 09:03:20

Welcome to the crew. I've just bought two new tire for my bike. They're Dunlop 404's. Good tire, good price. $206.00 for the pair, mounted and balanced.

As yet, a Bog Standard '87 with a big arse Harley muffler.
  IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #12 - 03/27/09 at 23:16:04

Welcome! You're going to enjoy that little engine that can!
You do want new tires, as the commercial says, "because so much is riding on your tires".
EdL's forward controls are great. I'm just under 6ft, got the 3inch, wish I'd gotten the 4inch. Big difference in comfort though.
Seat angle really is an individual thing. I did the seat mod, and I liked it. That said, I'm still not through. The seat continues, for me, to be a work in progress; but the joy is oft in the journey, not in the destination.
Happiness to you in your journey, and ride safe.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
texsam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 04/22/09 at 15:45:14

i have quick wuestion i am a ne savage owner myself, love the bike it can really do well on city streets and highway at modest speeds 65 mph or so my question is today i did an oil change and there was no gasket for the bolt (it was over torqued by prev owner) i orgered new drain bolt new gasket from stealership sent me gasket to small so i got a hi temp o-ring temporarly so i went throough a series of orings to find the perfect one that doesn't seep oil one of those times i couldn't get bolt on fast enough so i got my spare oil 1 1/2 quart synth 15w 50 and the rest was 20w 50 will that mix in right and be ok????

IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #14 - 04/22/09 at 15:56:43

That oil mix should be no problem.

An auto parts store should have a selection of drain plug gaskets with one that is probably a good fit.  You can use aluminum, fiber, or plastic.  I don't like a copper gasket copper for an aluminum sump...the copper is too hard to deform & seal when the aluminum threads are safely tightened.  (By the way, to anneal (soften) a used copper gasket, heat it red hot then dunk it in water--just the opposite of annealing steel.)  A rubber-like o-ring is soft and may squeeze out of position.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 19:40:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New Savage Owner

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.