Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fork Lock Key (Read 85 times)
Boston Biker
YaBB Newbies

South Shore, MA
Fork Lock Key
03/25/09 at 19:55:31

A new member here. I just picked up an '07 S40. Only after getting home did I realize the fork lock uses its own key (a first for me). The seller doesn't have the key and the local dealer says the only way to rectify this is to install a new lock with keys. True?

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Re: Fork Lock Key
Reply #1 - 03/25/09 at 20:01:54

Yes it is a totally different key, If it were me I would search the tech section as I think replacing it is discussed in there. However I seldom lock mine, use a disc brake lock and if I could find a padlock for the back pulley that would really make it hard to move into a van, trailer or PU bed. The fork lock can be sheared off with some effort and then the piece taken out by dropping the fork trees. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #2 - 03/25/09 at 22:08:47

the local locksmith can fix you up..
why lock the forks anyway?? the savage is one of the least stolden bikes out there<ask your insurance agent
"locks keep honest people honest"

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #3 - 03/26/09 at 06:34:49

When I bought mine, new, the dealership couldn't find the fork lock keys. They replaced the whole lock assembly under warranty, saying they could not get keys only. They had two or three other S40s on the floor, and we tried all of those keys in case of a mixup.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #4 - 03/26/09 at 06:40:21

darn fork lock. After returning from Central America last month, The first thing I noticed was the cover on my bike ripped to shreds. A note from my neighbor stated that "hurricane force winds blew my bike over 4 or 5 times, and the guy down the street picked it up."

Shortly after discussing the event, my neighbors said that they would've moved the bike in their yard, but were unable to because the fork was locked. OK, so that was an extraordinary situation, and perhaps an extreme example.

Really though, if you don't want to shell out the $$$ for a locksmith, the alternatives mentioned previously in this thread will work just fine. Well, it also depends on your neighborhood. If my bike was parked on the street in some neighborhoods I could think of in Manhattan, It would be covered with armor and welded to a light pole. Some thieves  have a tendency to remove parts also, not just the bike Angry

FSO
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #5 - 03/26/09 at 06:59:39

I used my fork lock a few times, but finally I just quit.  It seemed like a little bit of a hassel to me, especially after I got the bike started and had to shut it off to use the key (on the same ring) to unlock the fork.  Besides, like I read somewhere a couple of good size guys could pick it up and put it in a pickup and drive away.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 08:29:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fork Lock Key

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.