Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Can't get seat bolt out (Read 371 times)
odvelasc
Ex Member

Re: Can't get seat bolt out
Reply #15 - 03/22/09 at 05:35:29

If you can get your hand in, try to get a socket on the nut underneath the fender.

IP Logged
cowspotter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ashburn, VA
Reply #16 - 03/22/09 at 09:17:56

I couldn't get to the nut on the bottom, there's a plate on the inside of the rear fender that covers it. I went to advance and got a set of reverse direction drill bit screw extractors. Pre-drilled the hole using a normal bit then switched to the extractor and went slow. Of course this was followed with a second trip to advance since I now had the offending bolt out and could match the thread size for a replacement.

All is well now. There is a 10mm bolt, which is the same size as the other 2 seat bolts so I'm happy. Btw, I don't think I could've taken the filter cover off w/o taking the seat off. There's a philips screw on the top edge of the cover that is impossible to get to w/o taking the seat off.

IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #17 - 03/22/09 at 10:02:15

THe engineers really buried the air filter. At least you only need to access it once in a while.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #18 - 03/22/09 at 10:45:10

IIRC, the 4 mm allen wrench is what fits that rear fender seat bolt.
Remember, antisieze is your friend.
If the head of the bolt distorts & the allenwrench doesnt want to play, take a small punch &( while protecting the paint from a runaway tool) give that little bolt a few sharp cracks.HARD isnt as necessary as sharp, quick taps, just trying to create some vibes between threads & unstick it. Getting a penetrating oil into that darned thing isnt easy, but maybe you could rap it, try it, if no good, dose it & try rapping it again next day.
If a head on a screw distorts, odds of winning drop, but I have used a pin punch, moved metal back into position & won, several times.Usually on phillips stuff.Dont recall it on an allen, but its worth sharing.

I got rid of the hex head bolts under the sides of the seat. 2 long allens, with jam nuts, now an allen wrench pulls the seat up there too.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
SuziQ

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oshawa, Ontario Canada
Reply #19 - 03/23/09 at 21:47:45

cowspotter wrote on 03/21/09 at 13:57:55:
So a few weeks ago I installed my new battery and tried getting the seat off but couldn't find an allen wrench to fit the bolt. Managed to get the battery in w/o taking the seat off. I bought a pack of metric and standard allen wrenches because I want to check the air filter. None of them fit.

First of all, what size is that bolt? I have a feeling that the head is screwed up and I'm going to have to get an easy out or something to get that thing out.

All the fasteners on your scoot will be metric. The screw (bolt) at the rear above the tail/stop lamp is 4 mm socket head (allen hex).  Don't torque it up too tight when you replace it.  The other two screws on the side up under the seat are 10mm hex head across flat dimension.

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #20 - 03/24/09 at 20:14:11

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/22/09 at 10:45:10:
IIRC, the 4 mm allen wrench is what fits that rear fender seat bolt.
Remember, antisieze is your friend.
If the head of the bolt distorts & the allenwrench doesnt want to play, take a small punch &( while protecting the paint from a runaway tool) give that little bolt a few sharp cracks.HARD isnt as necessary as sharp, quick taps, just trying to create some vibes between threads & unstick it. Getting a penetrating oil into that darned thing isnt easy, but maybe you could rap it, try it, if no good, dose it & try rapping it again next day.

Spray penetrating oil on it, lay an ice bag on the fender ensuring it touches the bolt head well and let it sit for 2 hours.  Then do the sharp tap and try it.  The ice will make the bolt and bolthole contract in size just a wee bit.  Combined with the oil and the sharp tap it's the best chance you've got.  

IP Logged
SuziQ

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oshawa, Ontario Canada
Reply #21 - 03/30/09 at 05:53:58

SuziQ wrote on 03/23/09 at 21:47:45:
cowspotter wrote on 03/21/09 at 13:57:55:
So a few weeks ago I installed my new battery and tried getting the seat off but couldn't find an allen wrench to fit the bolt. Managed to get the battery in w/o taking the seat off. I bought a pack of metric and standard allen wrenches because I want to check the air filter. None of them fit.

First of all, what size is that bolt? I have a feeling that the head is screwed up and I'm going to have to get an easy out or something to get that thing out.

All the fasteners on your scoot will be metric. The screw (bolt) at the rear above the tail/stop lamp is 4 mm socket head (allen hex).  Don't torque it up too tight when you replace it.  The other two screws on the side up under the seat are 10mm hex head across flat dimension.

I know this won't be much help but the bolt in question on my 2008 S40 is stainless steel or appears to be a non magnetic material.  Maybe there was an engineering change from a corrosion problem.

IP Logged
aliassmith

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 03/30/09 at 10:08:54

Two ways to remove that rascal.
The crude one is to stick an allen of the closest size in it and arc weld around it. Then unscrew it and throw it away.
The other is to drill down through the allen hole with the same size drill as the bolt thread. Drill only far enough to remove the button head. With the seat removed there should remain enough to get hold with pliers and remove the rest. Without the compression strain of the head, the bolt should unscrew easily.
Then get another butt head screw to replace it.

aliassmith

IP Logged
doc5446

Into the night...

Randolph, Ohio
Reply #23 - 03/30/09 at 10:38:25

Reminds me of an old phrase I use to hear...

K&N air filter, stage 1 jet set, SuperTrapp megaphone exhaust, solo seat w/ clothespin springs, stainless seatpan w/ fenderbib.1971 CB front fender and mirror.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #24 - 03/30/09 at 11:18:37

Yep I remember that phase well

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #25 - 03/30/09 at 14:45:21

Couple of good ways I saw real fast.
Cold chisel and a hammer.
Cut a slot with a saw or dremel. Remove with good size screw driver.
Drill it out.

Always use some kind of anit-seize. Even white, red, yellow, brown, clear grease is better than nothing!!!

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 19:43:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Can't get seat bolt out

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.