Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New member - battery question (Read 109 times)
siriusjoe

Chicago, IL
New member - battery question
03/14/09 at 23:24:50

Hello all, this is my first post here although I've been lurking for several months.   I'm getting back into riding after a 30-year break, and my wife is giving it a try too.   I did a lot of dirt bike riding as a teenager but my wife is a total noob.  We both took the MSF course last summer and got our M-class endorsements last fall.

We finally got our bikes this weekend (2004 Marauder 800 for me, and 2006 S40 for the wife) and since the weather warmed up a bit, we went for our first real ride today.   It went fairly well except for a little spill my wife took in a parking lot - she dropped the bike and broke a turn signal.  But she was a real trooper and got right back on again, so I think she'll be OK.   She knows what she did wrong, and I doubt she'll make the same mistake again.  Wink

So, that leads to my question...  When she dropped the bike, it fell on the left side and laid on the ground for about 60 seconds before we lifted it back up.   I noticed some clear liquid on the pavement, which I suspect was fluid from the battery.   When we got the bike home, I found the little window in the battery box where you can see the fluid level, and it does in fact look like the level is low.   So, how do I get that battery out to refill it?   It looks like it comes out from the right side after removing the cover panel, is that correct?   And should I just refill it with distilled water, or do I need something more?

Thanks for any tips and advice.  If there are any photos that show how to remove the battery, that would be great.   I don't (yet) have a service manual for this bike.

Regards,
Joe

PS - We are in the northwest suburbs of Chicago.   It was about 47 degrees this afternoon, and we saw quite a few riders today.   (I got my first wave too, from a Harley rider!)

« Last Edit: 03/15/09 at 14:11:50 by siriusjoe »  
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: New member - battery question
Reply #1 - 03/15/09 at 00:01:03

Take a peek at the tech section if some has done it, it will be there.

at the top is a contents page with quick links to the posts.

but quickly,
1.remove the tool box with the key.
2.remove the panel under that, 3 screws.
3.remove seat, 2 screws
4.disconnect negative term, right side?
5.disconnect positive term.
6.slide out battery.

You disconnect the negative 1st to prevent shorting to the frame.

WWW   IP Logged
siriusjoe

Chicago, IL
Reply #2 - 03/15/09 at 00:24:50

Thanks for the info verslagen, that's exactly what I needed.   I'll give this a try tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

Regards,
Joe

IP Logged
PhilM

England (Twyford)
Reply #3 - 03/15/09 at 03:57:15

verslagen1 wrote on 03/15/09 at 00:01:03:
4.disconnect negative term, right side?
5.disconnect positive term..

negative is left side, positive on right (same side as vent tube)

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #4 - 03/15/09 at 06:29:35

You may also have to remove the side panel on the left side. The screw is on top of it, and removing the seat gives access to it. Removing the side panel gives access to the battery terminal. Then while you have the battery out, flood the whole area with water to rinse out any battery acid which might have spilled.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
siriusjoe

Chicago, IL
Reply #5 - 03/15/09 at 14:18:55

Hey everybody-

Thanks so much for your help.   I got the battery out, topped off the fluid, cleaned everything up, and it's all back together and ready to ride.  While I was at it, I snapped some better pictures. This is such a wonderful forum, and I hope that I will have something useful to contribute in the future.  Thanks again.   The sun is out, so we're going for a ride!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/26/24 at 06:08:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New member - battery question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.